Wednesday, July 15, 2009

But God...


This was said during a kind of bicker or division in the church at Corinth. Some said they followed one, some said another. Paul wanted to set them straight and let them know that no matter who planted the seeds (gave the Word) or who watered the seeds (tended the church?) that it was all about God. I love this because it also reminds me that no matter how much I beckon or maintain, God is the one who makes things grow. It also takes the onus of my shoulders in witnessing, which I found intimidating in the past.



Is there someone you long to redeem today? Is your burden great for them? Realize that you cannot pay the debt they owe, just as you couldn't pay the debt you owed. No man can. That is exactly why Christ was sent into the world. It wasn't about Silent Nights and shiny gifts under a tree and sharing stories about the sweet baby Jesus over huge family get-togethers.

Jesus was born to die. Born to redeem us into an eternal life that will never see decay.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." ~ John 3:16-17 (NIV)

It's up to you to plant the seed, true enough; however, it's up to the individual and God, who makes them grow, to make a choice. As for us, no payment is ever enough to buy someone's way into the kingdom of God, but you can invest time, prayer, teaching, friendship and sharing the Word of God to plant that seed. Just remember that God is the One who makes it grow.

If you find witnessing intimidating, find freedom in knowing that although your burden may be great for someone, it's ultimately up to them to accept Christ. Share with them what's on your heart and show them the gift of grace.

I was talking with Laurie and Jennifer about this the Friday we met in Grenada for lunch. The first time I witnessed to someone, she chose not accept Christ. I felt such a sting of rejection (I think it was more of a pride thing, looking back) that for a long time I had a hard time putting myself (there's that self-thing again) out there and sharing God's love for others.

No more. These Scriptures from 1 Corinthians and Psalms confirms that it's not about me. It's about Christ. Isn't it amazing how God will send you Scriptures in a Bible reading to confirm something you just talked about? His love for us is that great. I will never call it a coincidence. I think it's God's timing.

Let's go plant some seeds, or water some that have been planted. Then let's watch God....

Photobucket

2 comments:

Denise said...

Amen

Beth in NC said...

Beautiful Laurie Ann!

I love how God brings confirmations.