Thursday, June 04, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Spiritual Sweet Tooth


Laurie, from Women Taking a Stand, is hosting Thankful Thursday for the month of June.

Laurie asks, "What kind of taste does reading and meditating upon the Word leave in your mouth? Is it a sweet taste or a sour one?"
God's timing is always perfect. Last night I asked God to wake me up early this morning so I could spend time with Him in the Word. Usually I sleep until the alarm goes off, but this morning my eyes flew open about 40 minutes earlier than normal. I was completely rested, which was a surprise, given the fact that I had stayed up way too late reading last night.
I'm journeying through the Old Testament right during my personal devotion time and I'm in 2 Chronicles. I'm reading about what I just read about in 1 Chronicles, the articles for the temple that Solomon built for the Lord. It used to be that my favorite readings from the Bible came from the New Testament, but God has given me a taste for the richness of the history of how His chosen people worshipped Him, and how devoted some were to Him. I love reading about the history of the kings, the battles they fought and how some came to a place where they realized they were not honoring God and made changes. Sadly, some did not. I love how God spoke during the Old Testament times.
I thanked God this morning that I live in a country where I am free to read my Bible in my home without fear of a secret police knocking on my door and making my life miserable. I am so thankful that I don't live in constant fear of knowing that this could be my last day on earth just because I chose to worship God in prayer and in reading my Bible.
"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" ~ Psalm 119:103 (NIV)
What are you thankful for today? I'm thankful for the Word of the Lord, that He has quickened it to my heart and leaves me desiring more of it every day.
Note: I have a busy day today! I'm supposed to be in meetings from 9 - 11 and from 2 - 4. That could change but somehow I doubt it. I'll catch up with everyone this evening or tomorrow. Much love and blessings, and may you have a Happy Thankful Thursday!
Photobucket

10 comments:

Denise said...

I love your thankful heart my friend.

Saleslady371 said...

I love mornings like that when I wake up rested and ready to meet with Jesus. Have a great day!

LAURIE said...

Laurie Ann, Your day that is full is going to go so much more smoothier now that you started your day out with the Lord. God will bless you for your determination and obedience! May the sweetness of His Word continue to be your craving! -love, Laurie

He & Me + 3 said...

good luck with those meetings and have a blessed thankful thursday. always something to be thankful for!

LauraLee Shaw said...

His Word is my delight. So thankful for Him waking you up early. What a blessing, sister.

Joyeful said...

Wow, that really makes me GRATEFUL for the word of God! It is such a great reminder that we take for granted the freedom we have in reading His Word! Thank you, Laurie Ann!
Love ya,
Joye

Raise Them Up said...

I REALLY enjoyed your post today. You are so right. We do need to be thankful that we still live in a country where we can read the Word freely.

I like that you asked God to wake you early, and that He was faithful, too. Isn't that just like God? Hope your meetings went well!

Anonymous said...

I, too, am grateful for the freedom we often take for granted here. Thank you for your timely reminder, Laurie Ann.
May your day be filled with peace. ~ linda

Sherrylinn said...

Wonderful post, thank you for sharing and reminding us today!

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your kind words for me and my family during a very difficult time of loss.

I miss my blog sisters tremendously and can't wait until life gets back to a little bit more of a normal place where I can visit often and walk to the cross with you ladies each day.

God bless you.