Wednesday, August 26, 2009

WFW - Psalm 27:14



While We Are Waiting

Who enjoys a good, long wait? Not me. I have places to go and people to see. Hah. Seriously, although I am patient to a degree, when I am going through a trial I want it to be over. I have been battling a trial of illness that hardly lets me even write since June. That's the whole summer, ya'll! One thing I have found is that there are things I can do while I am waiting.

The Hebrew word for wait is qavah. I looked it up on the handy-dandy http://www.blueletterbible.org/ and found this verb to mean:

1) to wait, look for, hope, expect
a) (Qal) waiting (participle)
b) (Piel)
1) to wait or look eagerly for
2) to lie in wait for
3) to wait for, linger for
2) to collect, bind together
a) (Niphal) to be collected

This speaks volumes to me. It makes me have no self-pity, just a need for practicing more patience. It encourages me to hope and expect that I will be healed or God will act in someway. I look eagerly for that. No matter what our trials are, we should wait and linger for God to intervene. And He will. God is like that. He loves us! He is not going to leave us where we are. I can feel myself improving, little milestones, but they're there, blessings given by God.

Don't Worry...Be Strong

All of us have gone or are going through our own personal trials. While we are waiting on the Lord, we are encouraged by the Psalmist to be strong.

The Hebrew word for the phrase be strong and take heart is chazaq. Implying action, this verb means:

1) to strengthen, prevail, harden, be strong, become strong, be courageous, be firm, grow firm, be resolute, be sore
a) (Qal)
1) to be strong, grow strong
a) to prevail, prevail upon
b) to be firm, be caught fast, be secure
c) to press, be urgent
d) to grow stout, grow rigid, grow hard (bad sense)
e) to be severe, be grievous
2) to strengthen
b) (Piel)
1) to make strong
2) to restore to strength, give strength
3) to strengthen, sustain, encourage
4) to make strong, make bold, encourage
5) to make firm
6) to make rigid, make hard
c) (Hiphil)
1) to make strong, strengthen
2) to make firm
3) to display strength
4) to make severe
5) to support
6) to repair
7) to prevail, prevail upon
8) to have or take or keep hold of, retain, hold up, sustain, support
9) to hold, contain
d) (Hithpael)
1) to strengthen oneself
2) to put forth strength, use one's strength
3) to withstand
4) to hold strongly with

I submit that if we truly make the effort to be strong, we will not remain in the pit long. I like each and every one of these definitions. They are the epitome of strength and what we can do to use to strengthen ourselves.

Where does your strength come from? Mine comes from the Word and from knowing that God will pick me up in His time.

Wrapping It Up

We all need encouragement during times of trials, so if you're going through one, rest assured I am praying for you, bloggy friend.

Questions for Reflection: Where does your strength come from? What are some ways you have been strong through trials?

Verse of the Day: "Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." ~ Psalm 27:14 (NIV)

Prayer: Father, we all face trials of different magnitudes. These trials can rock our worlds and seem to last for seasons upon seasons. Others are shorter but just as tough to go through. Help us, Lord, as we wait and find our strength in You. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

S - Sing praise to God no matter how dark the night. "I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High." ~ Psalm 7:17 (NIV)

T - Trust God as your deliverer. "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." ~ Psalm 18:2 (NIV)

R - Remember Who your strength is. "The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him." ~ Exodus 15:2 (NIV)

O - Obey God's command to be strong as you wait. "Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." ~ Psalm 27:14 (NIV)

N - Nourish yourself by reading your Bible. "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." ~ Psalm 119:105 (NIV)

G - Go on with life at a pace you can deal with. God will sustain you. "Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me." ~ Psalm 54:4 (NIV)

The purpose of WFW is to share the Word of God through photo's and a verse. Susan, at Forever His, is our hostess. Be sure to link up and share your own, and drop her a thank you for hosting this wonderful meme each week. It always blesses my heart to read all the posts and see the photos and verses. This is a wonderful way to minister to others and to be ministered to by reading others posts. Please visit by clicking on the button below.



Photobucket

17 comments:

ozjane said...

Have you exposed yourself as "that graffiti artist" now.....LOL
Good one.

Susan said...

Oh Lori,

Talk about a word in season!! I sure needed this one today.

So blessed to have you share today on WFW.

What a constant source of encouragement you are!

Blessings to you♥

Peggy said...

My strength is in the LORD! as I can see yours has been & He has held you through this...and as you WAIT...may you BE STRONG & TAKE HEART!

Blessings my sweet sister Laurie...
holding you in prayers as well. Miss you but realized that you are in a battle so I'm waiting patiently but intermittantly have visited you & your blog to check on you! I'll glad that you keep us updated as you suffer through this,
but I trust you truly are finding & filling this time & you are much more patient than I.

This is a great verse for you to hold on to as you regain your footing this season and trust!

Hope that you are renewed this day!
Keep pacing yourself. Nourish & nurture in the WORD spiritually & physically & emotionally. Love ya'
& thanks for stopping in. Did I say I've missed you...cuz I miss you!

Peggy

Jennifer said...

Very powerful post, Laurie Ann!

We have all be in the pit at one time or the other. I know that I have and wanted to get out of it so bad. Regardless, of how hard that I tried...I was stuck there until the storm was over and Jesus reached His hand down and pulled me up...in His time.

It is never easy to wait but sometimes, we just have to do it.

Love you!!!

Samantha said...

Thank you for this beautiful post, truly a blessing to me today, words
I needed !

He & Me + 3 said...

This post got me singing that song about where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. Wow I haven't sang that in years. Love it though. Thanks for bringing that back to my remembrance. Have a blessed WEdnesday!

Theresa Miller said...

Wow, that is great information and something I need to be reminded of. Thank you!

Denise said...

I love you, and you are in my prayers.

Beth in NC said...

Is it easy for anyone to wait? Not me. :-O

Thank you for breaking it down for us Laurie Ann.

Bless you dear!
Beth

Cathy said...

Thanks for that encouraging post, sweet friend. Praying for you ~

lori said...

Girl,
I'm a day late getting around, because of my Cafe duties, but I have to TELL you..I NEEDED this reminder today...it was so perfectly timed (a day late) for what I've been praying!

I will WAIT patiently on the Lord to open the doors that HE will, not I...

blessing Laurie Ann!!

peace,
lori

Amydeanne said...

bizzare i entered in http://www.magnoliaheartbeats.blogpsot.com
(the link you left) (blogspot spelt wrong) and I got to some weird site lol

i like this one Melanie! hugs!

LauraLee Shaw said...

Oh Laurie Ann, what a perfectly perfect post, something I struggle with on a regular basis. You are in my prayers, my friend.

Michele Williams said...

The hardest thing to do is wait... I am a slow learner too!! Thank you for this wonderful and much needed lesson for me! Love you friend.

Wife of Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wife of Rob said...

Laurie Ann!

Just now getting caught up on all of my blog reading. WOW, I needed this post. If you don't believe me, see my post from earlier today, which was written before I read this!

http://pairofbartletts.typepad.com/a-pair-of-bartletts/2009/09/memory-mondaycolossians-31517.html

{{Hugs}}
Jen

LAURIE said...

Hey Laurie Ann, I just wanted to "pop" in and say how much I miss visiting with you daily on your blog. I hope that you had a wonderful birthday and that you know how special and precious you are ... to so many of us and to God. Love you!