Monday, August 03, 2009


Showing Love to our Husbands
Ephesians 5 has some great guidance for loving our husbands. Before Paul starts his discussion on husbands and wives in verse 22, we are reminded in verse 1 to be imitators of God as Christ was. Our marriage mirrors (or should mirror) Christ and the Church.
I've written about submission in marriage before; it makes me feel very humbled and priveleged. Just to know that I am called by God to reflect His love to Steve feels like a huge mantle to bear. It's not hard to love my husband. He's a great husband, father, friend and lover. But to know that I am the primary instrument of reflecting the Father's love to my husband? Kind of brings to mind doing all the excercises in the Love Dare book that accompanied the recent movie Fireproof.

I want to honor my husband and submit to him in the best ways possible. We have great guidance in Christ's example of love of the purest form.

As Steve's wife, some of the best ways I can think of to reflect God's love for Steve are by loving him as God loves him, being quick to mercy and grace in our marriage and slow to anger, submitting to him in all things, speak highly of him to others and build him up rather than tear him down, setting the example for other women to love their husbands the same way, pray for him continually, honoring him and loving him in my actions, words and deeds.

Truly it is an honor to be called by God to be that primary instrument to reflect God's love to Steve. Very humbling and a true privelege. I praise God that He has given me an easy man to love. Steve is a great guy. I really mean that. He's so kind and loving toward me that it really makes it easy to love him. Do we have our rocky moments? Um, yes, but this is not about that. I have my own rocky moments with God and He loves me, so the least I can do is reflect that same love with Steve.
L - Loving our husbands is something we're called to do.
O - Obeying them as we obey the Lord is easy when we are truly committed to each other. It is a sign of respect.
V - Verifying through God's Word that the things we do, say and think in our marriage makes it easier to act out that love.
E - Example-setting for other women is something we're called to do in Titus 2:3-5 (NIV).

Marriage Monday is hosted by Chrysalis. Be sure to stop by and visit.

Photobucket

11 comments:

Michele said...

This was an awesome Post. Thanks for sharing

Alleluiabelle said...

Sweet Laurie Ann,

This was a precious post. I love how you talk so sweetly about your husband and how you respect and lovingly treat him through the eyes, ears and mouth of God.

This was refreshing for me to read today.

I love you dear friend.

Peace, Love, Blessings & Hugs,
Alleluiabelle

Susannah said...

"I praise God that He has given me an easy man to love."--You are fortunate! It's wonderful hear you heap such honor and praise upon your husband in this post.

Bless you... and your marriage.

e-Mom
http://chrysaliscom.blogspot.com
http://susannahsaprons.blogspot.com

Denise said...

Such a nice post sweetie.

Lynda P. said...

I enjoyed your post. It's not easy to submit in minor things. I can submit to major household, financial and relationship decisions. It was very hard but I had to defer to my husband when it came to not going to law school and to trust that his judgment was the correct one. But I had had many years of experiencing the wisdom of his advice to be able to trust him with this one.

It's much harder to submit to requests such as to be more of a participant with housework. I hate it and I hate doing it during the weekend so I usually don't submit until I am really called by the Lord to do so as I was yesterday. I figure if the Lord is kicking my butt to do my share - it's time to get going!

Wife of Rob said...

Laurie Ann,

Isn't it great when they are so easy to love? I found a lot of similarities with my husband that resound with your post! Submission was not meant to be bondage...and my husband makes it so easy. Like you, who doesn't have a rocky time now and then, but on the whole, it's so great to have a hubby that's easy to love!

Thanks for your post!

And please, by my guest tomorrow at "Bee My Guest" on my blog at http://pairofbartletts.typepad.com
One of my dear friends, Beth White, will be guest posting. Beth is a Christian author and I'll be giving away her newest book, "Tour de Force". I would love to have you stop by "my house"!

((Hugs)) to you
Jen

Speaking from the Heart said...

When I resubmitted my life to Christ, the hardest struggle I had was submitting to Jeff. Later, I realized that one of the ways I can bring him to the LORD is to be a Godly wife. I want Jeff to see God in me in everything I do.

Susan said...

Laurie Ann!!!

Oh I was so blessed to see your name on the comment section.

Thanks for joining us today.

I loved your post, and most importantly, I love your ♥ !!!

What a blessed man your husband is.

Blessings my sweet friend~

Miriam Pauline said...

Beautiful post!

Constance said...

It's very humbling to think that we are the primary tool that God would use to exemplify His love to our husbands. You're right, that's incredibly important mantle to bear. I would rather it be me though than someone else's. Think of the impact that we as wives have on our men! Kind of mind-blowing when you think about it!
Connie

LauraLee Shaw said...

I always love your posts, and this one encouraged me to the max!!! You are a blessing, my friend.