Friday, January 29, 2010

And Still We Praise Him

Each time I say it, it becomes more real. My husband was diagnosed with kidney cancer on January 22, 2010. He is in Stage 2 and will have surgery on February 17, 2010. Wow. It became even more real. Dr. Daily is hoping to remove only the tumor and part of his kidney but told us that having to remove the whole kidney is a possibility, a strong one. The good news is that you can live with just one kidney. The great news is there will be no chemotherapy or radiation as the tumor is contained. The awesome news is that the survival rate is in the high 90%'s.

Of course we are concerned about the surgery, the possibility of removing the whole kidney, the recovery, etc.

And still we praise Him.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." ~ Romans 8:28 (NIV)

While we don't rejoice because of our sufferings, we can rejoice in the midst of them. How? Through faith. We know that faith is the victory that overcomes the world. Why? Our faith is in God! God is the ultimate Victor!
We are reminding ourselves to never forget to praise Him in the storms of life.
"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." ~ Psalm 42:11 (NIV)
We also are reminding ourselves to come before Him constantly in prayer.
"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." ~ Colossians 4:2 (NIV)
The Greek word for devote is proskartereō. This verb means:
1) to adhere to one, be his adherent, to be devoted or constant to one
2) to be steadfastly attentive unto, to give unremitting care to a thing
3) to continue all the time in a place
4) to persevere and not to faint
5) to show one's self courageous for
6) to be in constant readiness for one, wait on constantly
This is where we are right now. We are perservering and continuing steadfastly to pray about this situation. Quite frankly, it's the only thing keeping me going. I'm nervous about it but I feel a peace when I pray that is like a healing balm. I know the Lord has not forgotten Steve and holds Him in the palm of His hand. We know that we must remain courageous as an example to other believers and to show our faith to the One who can heal.
The Greek word for watchful is grēgoreō. This verb means:
1) to watch
2) metaph. give strict attention to, be cautious, active
a) to take heed lest through remission and indolence some destructive calamity suddenly overtake one
Oh, be sure we are watching for what the Lord will do through this trial. We are not going to waiver and fall asleep on the job, as far as recognizing His blessings and mercy.
The Greek word for thankful is eucharistia. This noun means:
1) thankfulness
2) the giving of thanks
We are already thankful for the good news that has followed. Things could definitely be worse, and we thank God daily that they aren't.
And still we praise Him.
Will you join me in prayer and praise for what we are dealing with? Cancer is a scary thing and we need our friends and family to join in prayer regarding the outcome of this, that it's as good as the news we've heard so far, that the surgery goes well, that the recovery is speedy and easy.
Thank you,


Photobucket

14 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Hugs to you Laurie Ann. I'll be praying for your dh and for you during this time.

GodsOwn/Bernice said...

Laurie Ann
Your prayer request came under my attention on this "FEARLESS FRIDAY".
Know i will pray for you and your husband. I make notice of your request in my Fearless Fridaypost.

Sending my love and greetings to you
Bernice

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

I am praying for you guys! (((hugs)))

Alleluiabelle said...

Hi Dear Friend,

Know that I am praying for your husband's upcoming surgery and for you in helping him with your support and your strong faith knowing that Jesus is the divine healer, the Ultimate Physician.

We, too, just found out that my sister has cancer in her uterus and her surgery is coming up on February 4 at 11:30 A.M. Would you keep her in prayer too?

Love you and Big Hugs,
Alleluiabelle

bp said...

That's so encouraging "And still we praise Him." I pray God will be glorified through this.

Steve is on my prayer list on my blog.

Hugs to you.
Bethany

Vickie said...

You are such an encouragement even in the face of this sickness, and that is so what the body of Christ needs. Know that in Christ your husband is completely whole and healed. We pray for the full manifestation of it as we stand on God's word.

Blessings,
Vickie

Barb said...

In my thoughts and prayers....Barb

Melanie said...

Praising and praying with you, Laurie Ann!

Sunny Shell said...

Hello my beautiful twinny twin ♥,

I love you and I've already prayed for you, Steve, your daughter, your grandkids, other fam and the doctors. And I will continue praying sister...steadfastly.

This Psalm came to mind as I began praying for you and Steve:

Psalm 126:5-6
"Those who sow in tears shall reap with shouts of joy!
He who goes out weeping, bearing seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, bringing his sheaves with him."

The Lord graciously showed me this passage 8 years ago when our youngest son almost died after being hit by a car....but still we praised God then and still do now...no matter what. Why? B/c our circumstances don't define us; only our relationship with Jesus defines us.

And dear, precious sister, you have proven once again that this is true for you as well. ♥ And you are still here...sowing...in the midst of tears...sowing seeds of faith...out of gratitude and love for our one and only awesome Savior who alone has already given us more than we could ever ask...our eternal salvation.

Thank you precious sister for faithfully sharing your love and trust in our mighty God. You're a great encouragement to many, and surely a bright light of hope to all.

I love you dearly,
Sunny

P.S. John Piper wrote an article a while back when he had cancer, it's entitled, "Don't Waste Your Cancer". I think this will be a great encouragement to both you and Steve. ♥

Blessed Among Women said...

Will be praying for you and your husband!! I have missed you!! I plan to be back in the blog world participating in Thankful Thursdays and At the Well! It's been too long!

Deborah said...

Laurie Ann,
It's been a while since we've "chatted", somehow I lost the link to your blog. So glad a stumbled across it again today while at Laced with Grace.

My prayers are definitely with you as you go through this time. God is the great physician and He continues to heal. My husband was diagnosed with colon cancer and has now been cancer free for 3 years. I've been right where you are, I know your fear...joy will come.

Praying,
Deborah

Lisa said...

Beautiful scripture and picture.

God is your healer and I will pray.

Hugs,
Lisa

Cathy said...

Oh, sweet friend, I'm so sorry about that. Praying for you all ~

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

cameronvsj(at)gmail.com