Thursday, January 07, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Wisdom


Lynn at Spiritually Unequal Marriage is hosting Thankful Thursday for the month of January.






I am so thankful for the wisdom God grants us. Truly the fear of the Lord is what leads to this wisdom.

The Hebrew word for fear is yir'ah. It means:

1) fear, terror, fearing
a) fear, terror
b) awesome or terrifying thing (object causing fear)
c) fear (of God), respect, reverence, piety
d) revered

I do fear and revere the Lord, not in a scary kind of way, but in what I call "holy fear". It's a healthy respect of honoring God for Who He is. Once we have this fear of the Lord, the wisdom that comes from Him begins in our lives.

The Hebrew word for wisdom is chokmah. This noun means:

1) wisdom
a) skill (in war)
b) wisdom (in administration)
c) shrewdness, wisdom
d) wisdom, prudence (in religious affairs)
e) wisdom (ethical and religious)

The Hebrew root word for the word for wisdom above is the verb chakam. It means:

1) to be wise
a) (Qal) to be or become wise, act wisely
b) (Piel) to make wise, teach wisdom, instruct
c) (Pual) to be made wise
d) (Hiphil) to make wise
e) (Hithpael) to show oneself wise, deceive, show one's wisdom.

This week I am thankful for the wisdom that He has given me in choosing the right doctor to go to, the wisdom to know my physical limitations during illness, and the wisdom to learn more about prudence and discretion in conversations. I'm also grateful for the wisdom that has come through reading His Word. He has given me a spirit of wisdom in seeking Him and thirsting for His Word that I have never found before.



Each time I think I am full, my cup just overflows with the blessings found in His Word. If I hadn't ever feared the Lord, I know I wouldn't recognize the signs of wisdom He has placed before me in seeking Him through His Word. I have really enjoyed reading through Genesis and Exodus as of late, as well as Acts and Psalms. I'm beginning Exodus 26 tomorrow and in the New Testament will be reading beginning with Acts 24.

There are many ways to exercise the God-given wisdom we have been given through fearing the Lord. I am so thankful for each opportunity to use wisdom and pray that I do use it often and in a way that brings God glory.

W - Wisely seek God's will for your life. "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." ~ Proverbs 19:21 (NIV)

I - Intentionally spend time in the Word of God. "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." ~ Psalm 119:105 (NIV)

S - Show your wisdom by being obedient to the commands of God. "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." ~ John 14:21 (NIV)

D - Determine to remain humble in your wisdom. "The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor." ~ Proverbs 15:33 (NIV)

O - Offer good characteristics with wisdom. "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." ~ James 3:17 (NIV)

M - Maintain a healthy fear of the Lord. "The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous." ~ Psalm 19:19 (NIV)

Thank you, Lynn, for hosting this month, and for choosing such a great topic! Be sure to visit other Thankful Thursday posts by clicking on the button below and link up, leaving a Thankful Thursday post of your own.



Note: this post originally ran 03.04.09

Photobucket

12 comments:

Apron Senorita said...

Amen, that is exactly what I try to teach my children. I too need the reminder of the basics of wisdom and fear of losing God's grace. I wish you a blessed year.

God be with you!
Yoli

Pia said...

during our 7 days prayer and fasting, this is what i ask the Lord - spirit of wisdom and revelation.

God bless you, michelle.

jo.attalife said...

Wow that is a wonderful and timely reminder! Thank God, indeed, for wisdom, and all the opportunities God gives to learn, develop, and exercise it. Thanks for the reminder!

gemini said...

A wonderful theme for thankful thursday...thanks for sharing and for visiting me....God bless.

i said...

A wonderful post and reminder! I've been praying for God's wisdom and discernment, knowing that my own is so limited in dealing with everyday life.

God bless you!

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann thank you for sharing your wisdom today! I love how you break things down and give us so much to think about!

Thank you for the prayers over our newest daughter and my travel to bring her home.

God bless and love,
Jill

Tammy said...

Thank you for sharing your heart with us today Laurie. I have been studying the book of James and reading Proverbs - godly wisdom a necessary part of our lives.

Mary Moss said...

What a great post. Ah . . . wisdom. So elusive yet we often fall into the trap that we are the wise ones:-)

Leaon Mary said...

This may be one of my ALL TIME favorite wfw posts Laurie!

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann,

Another excellent past as always. I started thinking about how so many of us can be trapped in a prison of fear. My power verse when I am fearful is Psalm 91.

It Rocks..

Great post. I love you my friend. BIG hugs, Lynn

LisaShaw said...

What a beautiful and powerful message dear sister. I'm so glad I was able to pop in! Hugs and love.

Rita T. said...

Love my visits here because you always have something worth saying. Have a great weekend!