Thursday, December 04, 2008

Thanksgiving - Thankful Thursday

“And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.”~ Colossians 3:14-15 (ESV ~ emphasis Iris')

Did you know that the Greek word for thankful used in this verse is eucharistos, which means:


1) mindful of favours, grateful, thankful
2) pleasing, agreeable
3) acceptable to others, winning, liberal, beneficent

This has been an exteremely thankful week for me! I'm mindful of the favors I have received from God, so grateful and thankful. I have adopted a pleasing and agreeable attitude regarding my blessings and have tried to be beneficient to others in passing my blessings on. I do fall short sometimes, but I'm growing!

We spent a wonderful time with family this Thanksgiving. It was a different sort of Thanksgiving than we usually have. There were only 5 of us for lunch - Steve and me, Momma, Maw Maw and Melanie, my aunt. None of her children could come, but will be here for Christmas.


After lunch we got out some photo albums and looked through them. Oh, the memories! For all of us except my grandmother, bless her heart! She has Alzheimer's. She kind of remembered my grandfather when she saw a picture of him in uniform (he was a Highway Patrolman). That flicker of recognition was awesome, ya'll! Later in the evening, we learned that she talks about him often, but thinks he doesn't know where she is. The staff assures her he does and she's okay with that. He died over 20 years ago.

Jimmy & Susan, my uncle and aunt, came over later in the afternoon with their two sweet boys, James and John. The twins just turned 8. They were super-excited, as they had just returned from Disneyworld a few days before. There was so much to tell and they enjoyed playing with the kids next door who came over.

The food was great, the time spent with family was just something I soaked up, and I took time out on the back porch to count my blessings and send praises up to God for His bounty. Sometimes I have what I call "lovebursts". My heart just wants to explode, I feel so blessed and highly favored! I'll tell myself it's undeserved and I'm unworthy and I'm reminded by the gentle whisper of the Holy Spirit that Christ died to make me worthy and deserving.






If you read yesterday's post, you know that we also got some difficult news this week. My uncle's cancer is back. He has malignant melanoma in his brain. We knew that less than two years ago, when it returned after a 20 + year absence, about 3% survive at least 5 years. We are praying Jimmy survives much longer than that. God has been so good in providing great doctors who stay on top of this with many scans a year. They seem to catch things in time and early enough to where it works out just right. I know God is guiding them. I am so thankful for my uncle, for the many many lives he has touched as he's taught and assisted in coaching through the years, and the witness he is for God. Jimmy is a strong man of faith and is so optimistic and trusting. He is one of my earthly heroes. Again, who am I for the privelege of knowing him and having him for an uncle?

I remain mindful of the favors I have received from God, so grateful and thankful, and am keeping a pleasing attitude despite obstacles of illness for myself (I'm battling a fibro flare-up due to weather change) and others, and I'm also praising God that one day there will be no more sickness for any of us. I am really looking forward to His return and am so thankful He won't leave us on this earth forever.

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." ~ Revelation 21:3-5 (NIV)

What are *you* thankful for this Thursday? Join us by visiting hostess Iris at Grace Alone... for more Thankful Thursdays.




25 comments:

Melanie said...

I just love your sweet thankful heart, Laurie Ann!

Happy Thankful Thursday to you!

Jennifer said...

Laurie Ann...I always love hearing from your thankful heart...you inspire me with each post to continue to press onward.

You are truly a blessing to me.

Happy TT!

Joyfull said...

Your thankful heart is so refreshing and it always a blessing when you share!

Anonymous said...

this is a great post of TT Laurie its cool. Take care.

He & Me + 3 said...

Thank you for sharing so much with us. I too am looking for His return.

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

My favorite part about this post was that 'flicker of recognition'...I had a grandfather with Alzheimer's and I know exactly what you meant when you said that. Those moments are to be cherished!

Happy TT to you! Great big hugs!

More Than Words said...

Oh, that was so awesome! Thank you for sharing your humble heart!

Yes..one day we will have glorified bodies, and there will be no more aches and pains! Isn't that awesome?????!!!!

Blessed Among Women said...

Your Thanksgiving sounds like it was great!! I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle. It's great he's had some wonderful doctors!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I can't wait to meet you some day Laurie Ann. Even if it is in heaven! You're heart is so big!
Love you sister.
Hugs.
Kim

MJ said...

I am sorry to hear about your Uncle - I will keep you all in my prayers.

Lyndy said...

Thank you for sharing your thankful heart sweet sister.

Blessings, Lyndy

Tricia said...

Your thankful heart just oozes off the page! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts and hearing what you are thankful for.

I will continue to pray for your uncle, for more years like the Hezekiah of old...

Blessings!

LAURIE said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. What I love about your writing is how it is always uplifting and encouraging - and even in the midst of your bad news you are giving thanks. That is awesome! I just said a prayer for your uncle. God bless. -Laurie

Rita T. said...

Very good post! Thanks for the encouragement.

Grammy said...

A great post thanks for sharing,
Have a great week.
Grammy

Cheryl said...

I love your writing. It feels so real. Thanks for a great post. Happy TT~

God Chaser said...

Very sweet, I love how you went on the porch and gave praise to God. Be blessed

Anonymous said...

there are really so many things we can thank God for. God bless your grateful heart, laurie ann.

Sunny Shell said...

Well....hmmm...what am I thankful for? I'm thankful for Jesus, for my husband and kids...and I'm also thankful for sweet sister-friends like you, whom I would've never met had I not started blogging and found CWO!

You always inspire me sister and I LOVE to read your articles full of truth (God's word), love, humility and much, much grace!

I love you dearly sister,
Sunny

Alicia The Snowflake said...

I'm so glad you had a good Thanksgiving! I will be praying for your uncle. May the Lord heal his body.

I love that song! It is one of my favs. "Amazing love, how can it be?" I will never know. Thanks for the reminder!

Lisa said...

Laurie Ann, I am sorry to hear about your Uncle but I will pray for him. God is so good, I am praying He will touch my mom and dad..it is so hard to see them not well. I love that worship song, thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. I'm glad you had an awesome Thanksgiving celebration. I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle's melanoma. Will be praying for healing for him, and you and everyone in the family. Blessings.

Denise said...

You have such a precious heart, I love you.

Susan said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

Glad you had such a nice time at Thanksgiving.

I was so sorry to read about your uncle!

I didn't know melenoma could go in the brain? Hmmmm, I guess cancer cells can show up ANYWHERE.

I'll be praying for him and your family.

Blessings my sweet friend,

Susan

Tea with Tiffany said...

Sorry to know about your uncle. Thankful to know he is one of your heros.

And I loved reading about your lovebursts. I have those too. This is a great way to describe them.

Lord, please help Jimmy through this time. Heal his cancer. Give him strength. Comfort his family. Send forth hope and peace, may Jimmy's life continue to bring your glory.