Monday, December 15, 2008



Heather, at Emotional Purity, An Affair of the Heart, is hosting At the Well today. The topic - Purity with Others.



I'm so sorry I was late At the Well today. My uncle had brain surgery this morning and I am just now arriving home. This is a topic I'm passionate about, so I decided to post, late as it is.
Heather writes, "As Titus 2 women we are called to live our lives in such a way that we are free from sin. This would include, as Paul shared in Acts 24:16 "So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man"

The greek word for clear, is aproskopos, which means:

1) having nothing to strike against, not causing to stumble
a) of a smooth road
b) metaph. of not leading others to sin by one's mode of life
2) not striking against or stumbling
a) metaph. not led into sin, blameless
3) without offense, not troubled by a consciousness of sin

What are ways we exhibit this type of purity in our relationships with others?
Exhibiting a clear conscience before God and man is important in our walk with the Lord. We are to confess our sins to Him and strive to live a life holy and pleasing to Him.
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." ~ 1 John 1:9 (NIV)
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship." ~ Romans 12:1 (NIV)
When we live our lives in this manner, we accept God's precious gift of grace and can truly worship God.
I have heard it said that we are the only Bible some people ever read. Whether we realize it or not, the people we come in contact with on a day-to-day basis are watching us. When others see us without the stumbling blocks sin or impurity puts in our way, they see a more confident believer and our witness to them is pure and gentle.
"Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near." ~ Philippians 4:5 (NIV)
What are some of the roadblocks we run into when having a "clear conscience" with God and man?
"The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" ~ Jeremiah 17:9 (NIV)
Our hearts are weak and frail in a spiritual sense. Many times we get caught up in the trappings of this world and are drawn into sin through the things we allow to pollute our minds through watching television or movies that are less than glorifying to God or by the books we read. I love a good murder mystery, but it's rare to find a secular one that isn't peppered with bad language and steamy, ahem, s(x scenes.
Another thing we may run into are the trappings of gossip.
"The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts." ~ Proverbs 18:18 (NIV)
Would you like to share a story of how God has called you to have a pure conscience and the outcome of your obedience.
God has called me to have a pure conscience in the words that I speak. I wrote about it in a blog post here. I'm very careful now regarding the words that I speak. I try to really consider them carefully and not let any words carelessly proceed from my mouth. But oh, ARRGH! I fail. I try, though. I keep trying. Persevering.
Whatever the cause of our stumbling into sin or impurity, we need to pray as the Psalmist did.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." ~ Psalm 51:10 (NIV)

The word for Hebrew word pure in this verse is tahowr. It means:

1) pure, cleana) clean(ceremonially - of animals)

b) pure (physically)
c) pure, clean (morally, ethically)

The Psalmist knew that he needed a pure heart and he knew how to get it. He prayed:
"Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." ~ Psalm 51:7 (NIV)

Hyssop is a plant that was used in the Bible for purification rituals. It was first mentioned in the Bible in the Passover ritual. They used it to sprinkle the blood on the doors and doorposts. Hyssop was also used to cleanse those with leprosy, or others who were unclean, as well as to purify homes with mildew, and purify water. It was described in 1 Kings 4:33 by Solomon. Is it any wonder David wanted to be cleansed with hyssop?

The visual of God cleansing me with hyssop, applying the blood of Christ in my life, is just so breath-takingly awesome that I cannot describe how humble and grateful it makes me feel. I know I'm not deserving of it, yet He loves me enough to truly cleanse me and forgive me for my unrighteousness.
Join Heather at http://emotionalpurity.blogspot.com/ for more At the Well posts...

7 comments:

Mindy said...

I think this is such an important point. I try to emphasize to my girls, especially my oldest who was recently saved, that our actions speak far louder than our words. I think the same holds true when giving testimony. Rather than quoting scripture, it's important to share our actual experiences with those we might affect.

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

This topic is so important to me too. I am forever grateful to be washed by the hyssop...and it is my prayer that I take that cleansing and let my actions and speech reflect it.

Beautiful job, my sweet friend. I was praying for your Uncle today..please keep us posted on how is he doing.

Hugs to you!

LAURIE said...

Having pure words, pure thoughts, and pure motives. It all comes across in how we deal with day to day situations. Thanks for a great word today....-blessings, Laurie

Denise said...

Such a lovely post.

Melanie said...

Praying your uncle is recovering well from surgery this morning....

Marsha said...

I came by to see how your uncle's surgery went. Praying.

LauraLee Shaw said...

Incredible teaching here. Hope your uncle is doing okay.