Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise." ~ Jeremiah 17:14 (NIV, Emphasis, mine)
Welcome to Thankful Thursday, hosted by Iris at Grace Alone...
The theme this week is random; however, healing and praise and trust in God have been on my heart all week, as you can imagine.
The Hebrew word for heal in the verse above is rapha', and means:
1) to heal, make healthful
a) (Qal) to heal
1) of God
2) healer, physician (of men)
3) of hurts of nations involving restored favour (fig)
4) of individual distresses (fig)
b) (Niphal) to be healed
1) literal (of persons)
2) of water, pottery
3) of national hurts (fig)
4) of personal distress (fig)
c) (Piel) to heal
1) literal
2) of national defects or hurts (fig)
d) (Hithpael) in order to get healed (infinitive)
My prayer for healing has not been for myself but for my uncle. God is so faithful and hears our prayers. He has acted with mercy and heard my prayer and the prayers of those offered up on Jimmy's behalf.

Now it is time to praise Him! Jimmy will tell you in a heartbeat that this is not about him at all, but about the One he serves. God has been glorified through Jimmy's successful surgery and recovery. Jimmy had brain surgery on Monday and went home from the hospital Wednesday morning! It is only by God's grace and mercy that he was able to do that. Yes, the doctor's helped, and we are so thankful for a wonderful neurosurgeon and staff at the hospital. But even our angel-surgeon would tell you that he has lifted Jimmy up in prayer.

So join me in praising God today, won't you?

The Hebrew word for praise in the verse above is tĕhillah, which means:

1) praise, song or hymn of praise
a) praise, adoration, thanksgiving (paid to God)
b) act of general or public praise
c) praise-song (as title)
d) praise (demanded by qualities or deeds or attributes of God)
e) renown, fame, glory
1) of Damascus, God
2) object of praise, possessor of renown (fig)

It's from the root word halal, which means:

1) to shine
a) (Qal) to shine (fig. of God's favour)
b) (Hiphil) to flash forth light
2) to praise, boast, be boastful
a) (Qal)
1) to be boastful
2) boastful ones, boasters (participle)
b) (Piel)
1) to praise
2) to boast, make a boast
c) (Pual)
1) to be praised, be made praiseworthy, be commended, be worthy of praise
d) (Hithpael) to boast, glory, make one's boast
e) (Poel) to make a fool of, make into a fool
f) (Hithpoel) to act madly, act like a madman

Oh, my total praise is in God and for God right now. And it's not just about what He has done for Jimmy or the lives He has touched this week. I know we've all been praying for so many who are sick or hurting and have seen God's handprints all over their lives, restoring them and healing them in only the way that He can. He has provided us with answers beyond our wildest hopes and dreams. What's driving me to worship Him now is the Who of who God is.
"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." Revelation 4:11 (NIV)

When we maintain an attitude of praise about Who God is, it's easier to me to accept His will and whatever He does. There is so much I don't understand, but I know He is in control and He has something far better for us than we can imagine.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." ~ Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV)

Aren't you glad we don't have to figure it all out? God has it under control.
Healing
Praise
Trust
What are you thankful for this week? Visit Iris at Grace Alone... and link up and let us know!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Laurie Ann,

Praising the Lord for Jimmy. Monday,home on Wednesday. unbelivable....

Love you. Merry Christmas

God Chaser said...

Thanks for another great lesson. Praise and glory to God for His marvelous works.

What is your source for defining words?

LAURIE said...

Praising God with you for your Uncle's progress. God is good! Happy TT! -Blessings, Laurie

Melanie said...

Oh, yes I am so glad we don't have it all figured out and that we know God is in control!

Happy THankful Thursday, my friend!

Denise said...

Praising God with you my friend, love you.

LauraLee Shaw said...

You always amaze me with your teaching. I feel like a broken record with my comments, but well, it's just true. I'm so thankful for the report on your uncle, and I'm especially thankful that you are giving God the glory. May many praise Him as a result.

i said...

Thank you for this wonderful lesson! There's always something new I learn or reminder when I visit here.

Glad to hear your uncle's surgery went well. Praying for his recovery.

Have a blessed day!

Irene said...

I so much enjoyed reading your post! Yes, God is the great healer of bodies and souls. Praise and Glory to His name. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

As always you have one of the most thankful and gracious hearts of anyone I know.
Hugs to you my friend.

Tammy said...

Amen! I am thankful He has it covered. Praise God for your uncle's successful surgery! Blessings, Tammy

Anonymous said...

Laurie Ann, I just love the Isaiah 55 verses you put in your post. Thanks, I needed to be reminded of those today.

I love your list; you have a beautiful heart.

Bonnie said...

What a glorious result!! I am lifting up Praise right now to God for Jimmy. Prayer for his continued healing will be on my list of prayer!!! Blessings.

He & Me + 3 said...

Yes, I am so glad that I don't have to figure it out...all I have to do is have faith and pray and trust. Great post and so glad about Uncle!

Michele Williams said...

I'm praising the Lord with you my friend! Blessings...

Beth in NC said...

I am praising God with you. He is so worthy of our praise!

Love,
Beth

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann,

What a beautiful blessing your post is again!

Praying for God's healing for your uncle. Praising Him for the work He is doing in all of your lives through this trial. Praising Him for the faith that continues to grow as you watch Him work in and through this trial!

Thanking God for your obedience and desire to seek His face only!

Hugs and blessings today!
Jill

Darlene said...

Wonderful post! I am so glad that HE is in control!
Darlene

Marsha said...

Praising Him!

Have a blessed evening.

Nancie said...

Praise God for His mercies and goodness to Jimmy! It is comforting to remember that God is in control and He is able to heal or deliver us in His time. Thanks for sharing your thankful heart with us. Thanks for your visit and encouragement. Take care and God bless!

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

Praise the Lord for your Uncle's progress and for his precious niece who gives God all the glory!

I love your thankful heart, Laurie Ann. I am always richer by being here.

Blessings to you!