Wednesday, July 22, 2009

WFW - Strengthen Me


A Heavy Heart

Do you have a heavy heart today? Lately I have. The light in my life seemed to grow pretty dim for a number of weeks recently. I was weary and filled with sorrow.

The Hebrew word for soul is sort of what I call a catch-all. Nephesh is a noun that means:

1) soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
a) that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of man
b) living being
c) living being (with life in the blood)
d) the man himself, self, person or individual
e) seat of the appetites
f) seat of emotions and passions
g) activity of mind
1) dubious
h) activity of the will
1) dubious
i) activity of the character
1) dubious

Our seat of emotions and passions, as well as our mind's activity and our whole living being can get downright weary and sorrowful sometimes. Mine did, and I am so glad God overcame it in me.

The Hebrew word for weary is
dalaph. This verb means:

1) to drop, drip
a) (Qal)
1) to leak
2) to weep (of tears)

I was in a deep depression brought on by a medication change. My physical body would just feel like it was dropping, and oh, how my eyes leaked. This is why I didn't blog for a while. I wept often but am happy to report that I'm better now.

The Hebrew word for sorrow is tuwgah. This is a noun which means:

1) grief, heaviness, sorrow
Strength from the Word

The Hebrew word for strengthen is
quwm, a verb that means:
1) to rise, arise, stand, rise up, stand up
a) (Qal)
1) to arise
2) to arise (hostile sense)
3) to arise, become powerful
4) to arise, come on the scene
5) to stand
a) to maintain oneself
b) to be established, be confirmed
c) to stand, endure
d) to be fixed
e) to be valid
f) to be proven
g) to be fulfilled
h) to persist
i) to be set, be fixed
b) (Piel)
1) to fulfil
2) to confirm, ratify, establish, impose
c) (Polel) to raise up
d) (Hithpael) to raise oneself, rise up
e) (Hiphil)
1) to cause to arise, raise
2) to raise, set up, erect, build
3) to raise up, bring on the scene
4) to raise up, rouse, stir up, investigate
5) to raise up, constitute
6) to cause to stand, set, station, establish
7) to make binding
8) to carry out, give effect to
f) (Hophal) to be raised up
My strength came in many forms; kind words from family and friends, prayer, and some time in the hospital and new medication. Most of all, it came from God's Word. I had my Bible with me and each morning I met with one other lady who was also a Christian. We would read the same thing and compare. She had a different version than I did and we would talk about the difference in translations, what was more easily understood in whose Bible, how blessed we were to have met and to pray and read with each other, etc. We drew strength not only from each other, but what we read in the Bible. 1 and 2 Peter is what we studied. Very interesting!

Like the Psalmist, I was able to arise, endure and be confirmed and raise myself up by God's hand by staying in the Word. It is the best place to go when your heart is heavy and grief stricken, or when you're simply having a rotten day. Of course we should have regular times of daily Bible reading, but sometimes we need extra doses to be strengthened.

The Word

The Psalmist knew what the answer was to his sorrow. He asked God to strengthen Him in the Word. The Hebrew word for the phrase "according to your word" is
dabar. This noun means:

1) speech, word, speaking, thing
a) speech
b) saying, utterance
c) word, words
d) business, occupation, acts, matter, case, something, manner (by extension)

One of the ways God speaks to us is through His Word. It's as relevant today as it was when it was written. There is great comfort, assurance, delight, and hope to be found in His Word.

Remember another verse the Psalmist wrote.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." ~ Psalm 119:105 (NIV)

Wrapping it Up

Questions for Reflection: Do you believe this? If so, join me in reading His Word the next time you're feeling weary and sorrowful.

Verse of the Day: "My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word." ~ Psalm 119:28 (NIV)

Prayer: Father, thank You for Your Word. It truly does contain the words of strength we need that are straight from You, passed down to those You so divinely inspired. Help us to let You strengthen us according to Your Word when we are down as well as when we are up. Help us to make use of this most wonderful Resource and guide us to where in the Word we need to be when we are weary with sorrow. Thank You for being such a loving and personal Father to us. In Your Son's Name we pray...Amen.

S - Seek Him always as your strength. "Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always." ~ 1 Chronicles 16:11 (NIV)

T - Trust in Him for your strength. "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." ~ John 14:1 (NIV)

R - Read His Word to strengthen you. "My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word." ~ Psalm 119:28 (NIV)

E - Expect to be able to act on strength in Him. "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." ~ Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
N - Never doubt Him as your source of strength through faith. "Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done." ~ Matthew 21:21 (NIV)

G - Give your whole heart to Him to receive strength from Him. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." ~ Mark 12:30 (NIV)

T - Thank the Lord in advance for His strength. "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." ~ Psalm 28:7 (NIV)

H - Have courage in Him as you stand by His strength. "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:13 (NIV)

If you enjoyed this post, you might like
Strength in the Lord and/or The Lord is My Strength.

The purpose of Word Filled Wednesday is to share the Word of God through photo's and Scripture. Amydeanne, over at The 160 Acre Woods, is our hostess this week.. Be sure to link up and share your own, and drop her a thank you for hosting this wonderful meme. It always blesses my heart to read all the posts and see the photos and verses. This is a wonderful way to minister to others and to be ministered to by reading others posts. Please visit by clicking on the button below.




Please accept my apology for any formatting issues. I think I used too many colors. I tried to fix it for 2 hours last night and couldn't get the spacing right.


Photobucket

27 comments:

Laurie said...

What a timely word. I have had a heavy heart lately! Thanks sister- you always minister me through your blog!

SnoWhite said...

thank you for your WFW -- great encouragement.

Bogie said...

thank you for sharing this verse. I have a heavy heart today and your post is such a great encouragement. God bless your heart!

Joan said...

I agree, very timely. I'm so glad that my God is there for me. Thanks for another wonderful WFW Post.

Blessings

Beyond Motherhood said...

That will be my prayer today. Thank you Lord. Beautiful verse and explanation. Blessings!

lori said...

There is a time and purpose under heaven...Laurie Ann, again what a thoughtful and meaningful post...

You ALWAYS bless!

peace,
lori

Lauren said...

I am praying for you today - thank you for sharing! The verse on my WFW is for YOU this day ... take it and claim it! I know that this is why God had me choose this verse ... may you overflow!

Susan said...

Good morning sweet Laurie,

Oh, I'm so sorry you have been having a hard time.

I really enjoyed this devotional and I saved your acrostic.

Praying you will continue to walk in all God has for you.

I'm so blessed you found out what was causing this.

Blessings to you thie WFW!

GodsOwn/Bernice said...

Hi Laurie

Missed you...I'm happy to hear that it goes better with you now.
Will remember to pray for you....

Blessings
Bernice

Joyfull said...

You have been missed and held up in prayer. Beautiful word for today. Thanks for your encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your insights and your openness, Laurie Ann. I needed this today too, as did others, I see! : ) As we walk through those valleys He often holds us in His arms when we just cannot do it alone. He will give us the strength through His Word and through His Son. May He hold you closely, ~ linda

Wisdom for Today said...

Very inspiring - thanks for sharing. Happy WFW!

LauraLee Shaw said...

I hate that your heart has been heavy. Oh, how I've been there, and will be again, I'm sure. Thankful you are seeing some light, and thankful for the way God is bringing His hope and joy about in you. Wow, so many will be helped by reading His teaching through you. Love you, dear one.

Cathy said...

Oh, Dear, I'm sorry you have been sick. Thank God for His powerful word. I'm glad you are better. He is the lifter of our heads, and the joy of the Lord is our strength.
Blessings and Hugs,
Cathy

Heather said...

This is great. Thank you, and I hope you continue to feel better.

Peggy said...

ohhh Laurie Ann...I knew that I was missing way too much and missed you & your inspirational words (whether acrostic or study or personal heartfelt ones)far too long & it's so good to be back in Blog land & see that you are on the mend & returning!

I am so sorry that I was not here since May and yet you can be assured that I prayed for you when I felt prompted or your name came to me, I just did not know it was for all this. Forgive me for not checking on you but I am so glad that you found the STRENGTH in God's WORD! I do believe that being in His Word & reading His Word nourishes the soul, the mind & body
when we are weary or down & His Word brings strength & healing & is the medicine we need along with laughter. (Sorry, I don't have a joke like Kim has and you share on Friday Funnies...) but I know the Truth of Psalm 119 and believe it with all of me and that's why it's in my sidebar since I began blogging! (I should have written an email!?!, huh?)

Anyways, once more your study & WFW on a Weary Heart hits home and is wonderfully done! May God continue to strengthen you, filling you with the truth & healing power of His Word as a lamp to your feet & a light to your path! You are inspirational! Amen to your prayer & lesson from Psalms.

Many, many blessings and outpouring of God's love & grace surround you & strengthen you with His power to be restored & healed & on the mend.
Claim 2 Timothy 1:7(KJV) & Isaiah 53:5. Holding you up in prayer!

Love & sweet blessings + a big hug

GranthamLynn said...

I know what you mean about working on it for hours! I had trouble last night too. But it is a wonderful post. I am so glad you found strength in our father. And that you have a friend to find strength in the word. That is special. So many of us don't have anyone like that. That is something I struggle with. You know in your head and you really know it in your heart that God does want the best for us but our humaness struggles with all that. I have so been wanting and needing to have patience with God and circumstances. I am continually praying and asking him to just through with all that he is trying
to teach me and just kind of knock me in the head so I can learn the lesson. I really need to pray for strength myself. Thanks so much for sharing your heart and for giving us this lesson. It was a blessing.
Thanks for coming over and seeing me today. I entered you in my Beth Moore drawing. Come back by so you can keep getting your name in. Have a Blessed evening.
Hugs,
Sherry

Rechie said...

This is a very lovely verse...and a great reminder that whenever we feel weary, there is always one divine God who could strengthen our souls. I have been feeling weary these past days but the thought of God lighten my worries.

About the graphics, i am using scrap kit freebies from talented scrapbookers. It is free to download.

Thanks a lot for sharing these thoughts today and for vsiting mine.

Denise said...

Very awe inspiring my friend.

He & Me + 3 said...

Must be something going around. Heavy heart over here too. But finding the light & peace through prayer and God's word. Great post.

Toia said...

Thanks for sharing. Love the music on your blog. Cece Winans is one of my favorite gospel singers.

Toia said...

oops!! I realize the music isn't yours. The music I was hearing was coming from another blog that I thought out closed. :)

Alleluiabelle said...

Dearest Laurie Ann,

What a sweet and precious woman you are! I missed you and I am very happy that you are back here filling us up as you always have.

This is a very powerful post for so many and it reaches into the depth of my heart.

Thank you for sharing so much of yourself and I am praying for continued strength and joy to consume you dear one.

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

Laurencita said...

Oh! your post is very inspiring. I am blessed. Thanks for sharing.

Mindy said...

A lovely and wisdom-filled post! I am back to blogging after a long break, I hope you will stop by for an update.

LisaShaw said...

Thank you for sharing your heart with us dear sister.

I'm praying for you now.

Love you.

Amydeanne said...

perfect for me today!