Monday, January 12, 2009

The Lord is my Strength

This morning I needed an extra dose of strength. While I won't go into detail, let's just say my trial greeted me with the first phone call of the day. I knew by the number displayed on the caller id that I would need strength for the journey. Where would that strength come from?


I had only to look to the Lord as the complete source of my strength for this trial to be endured. I call it a trial. It was more of a nuisance, but I was emotionally bothered by it. It was time to call in the forces.


Because the Lord is my strength, I was able to stand strong!

The Hebrew word for strength as used in Habakkuk 3:19 is chayil. It means:


1) strength, might, efficiency, wealth, army
a) strength
b) ability, efficiency
c) wealth
d) force, army


In Him I found my confidence, ability, efficiency and force. I had the army of the Lord on my side and knew I could not be defeated.


In Hebrew, the phrase "he makes" is suwm. I needed suwm this morning! It means:


1) to put, place, set, appoint, make
a) (Qal)
1) to put, set, lay, put or lay upon, lay (violent) hands on
2) to set, direct, direct toward
a) to extend (compassion) (fig)
3) to set, ordain, establish, found, appoint, constitute, make, determine, fix
4) to set, station, put, set in place, plant, fix
5) to make, make for, transform into, constitute, fashion, work, bring to pass, appoint, give
b) (Hiphil) to set or make for a sign
c) (Hophal) to be set


I needed direction from Him and was told to stand firm, like the feet of the deer in the heights. Although the heights were rocky and the footing was unsure, my Savior set, stationed, set in place, planted and fixed my feet!


Are you going through a trial right now? Claim this verse as your own, allowing God's promise of sure-footedness to give you strength for the duration of your trial.


Trust in Him to provide for you strength to go on the heights.


The Hebrew word for heights is bamah, which means:


1) high place, ridge, height, bamah (technical name for cultic platform)
a) high place, mountain
b) high places, battlefields
c) high places (as places of worship)
d) funeral mound?


These are all places that require an inordinate amount of strength to get to and to maintain your footing on. Even the places of worship are hard because the Enemy is one step behind you, trying to keep your heart from worshiping Christ.


S - Seek Him always. "Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always." ~ 1 Chronicles 16:11 (NIV)


T - Trust in Him. "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." ~ John 14:1 (NIV)


R - Read His Word. "Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens." ~ Psalm 119:89 (NIV)


E - Expect strength in Him. "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." ~ Philippians 4:13 (NIV)


N - Never doubt Him. "Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done." ~ Matthew 21:21 (NIV)


G - Give your whole heart to Him. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." ~ Mark 12:30 (NIV)


T - Thank Him in advance. "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." ~ Psalm 28:7 (NIV)


H - Have courage in Him. "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:13 (NIV)

7 comments:

GranthamLynn said...

oh Laurie Ann...I needed this reminder so much today. I love your accrostic (is that what it was?) it was really a blessing to me.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Many hugs and smiles my sister.
Love,
Sherry

Mindy said...

I too needed this reminder. It's so easy in times of trial to foret that the Lord is an endless source of strength for us.

LAURIE said...

Nice post today. I was thinking how true it is when we say "The joy of the Lord is our strength" - it truly is. Sometimes we just need to rely upon His strength.

-blessings, Laurie

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

Oh sweet one...I pray you remain in His strength through your trial. He is faithful, my friend.

A great big hug for you!!

Peggy said...

Beautiful Laurie Ann...To find STRENGTH in HIS WORD to battle the day starting off on the wrong foot, on shaky ground, or even unsure.

I guess that's why we need to put on the full armor to have that strength so we do not loose our footing.

I believe by sharing this verse, standing on it, studying it, declaring it and proclaiming as you claim it...shows you are stronger than you think and you knew where to run. The best thing is that by sharing this, you bring strength to others and demonstrate that you know the Rock is there as a Shelter and Refuge against.

I love your Strength! I love your acrostic as usual...well thought out and inspirational. Great scriptures and foundational building. You are so right and I really get it when you say that even worship the enemy is one step
behind ya' pulling & tugging trying to keep you weak, vulnerable and away from Him. So for me to gain, is Christ and I choose to find strength by Seeking, Trusting, Reading, Expecting, Negating...no, no never doubt..., Giving, Thanking
and Having the COURAGE. On Christ the solid Rock I stand.. all other ground is sinking sand:) Let's not sink...let's swim above the current
of the crowd or a crummy call or circumstances out of our control!

Thanks my friend! May Our Friend Jesus wrap you in His arms & protect your precious heart!

Addicted to Beadz said...

Laurie Ann,

Yes. I needed this today as well!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl

Denise said...

You bless me over and over again.