Wednesday, January 07, 2009



What's your source of comfort? Some are comforted by food, some by a good cry, others by conversations with a close friend or family member. How thankful I am this Thursday for the gift of the Word of God! While I love a good hug from my earthly father when I'm feeling sick, My Heavenly Father, through His written Word, the Bible, has not only given me true comfort in affliction but also life through His precious promises.

The Hebrew word for life here is chayah. Below is the outline of biblical usage for this word.

1) to live, have life, remain alive, sustain life, live prosperously, live for ever, be quickened, be alive, be restored to life or health
a) (Qal)
1) to live
a) to have life
b) to continue in life, remain alive
c) to sustain life, to live on or upon
d) to live (prosperously)
2) to revive, be quickened
a) from sickness
b) from discouragement
c) from faintness
d) from death
b) (Piel)
1) to preserve alive, let live
2) to give life
3) to quicken, revive, refresh
a) to restore to life
b) to cause to grow
c) to restore
d) to revive
c) (Hiphil)
1) to preserve alive, let live
2) to quicken, revive
a) to restore (to health)
b) to revive
c) to restore to life

Oh, the promises of life God's Word holds for us. They truly are a comfort to me, especially when I'm afflicted. Reading the Bible hasn't always been a source of comfort for me. I don't mind telling you that it used to seem like a chore. Once I prayed about it and asked God to really reveal His Word to me, what He wanted me to understand, to speak it into my heart through His Holy Spirit (reading it to me), I discovered that what I previously found boring was intriguing, what I thought redundant was of great importance, and what I thought were simply stories were timeless truths with lessons still to be learned. How I have come to know my Savior more intimately through His life-giving Word!

Here are a few of my favorite life-giving verses based on the definitions above. Again, I am so thankful for God's precious words. What a wonderful theme Iris chose for the week! These verses and more carried me through a flare-up and have sustained me during some troubling times with our daughter's health issues this week and last. May they encourage you and help you find the life-giving power I found in them.

"The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life." ~ John 6:63 (NIV)

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life." ~ 1 John 1:1 (NIV)

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." ~ John 10:10 (NIV)

"If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you." ~ John 15:7 (NIV)

"Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.' " ~ Matthew 4:4 (NIV)

"He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor." ~ Proverbs 21:21 (NIV)

"Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?" ~ Psalm 85:6 (NIV)

"Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's." ~ Psalm 103:2-5 (NIV)

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." ~ Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

"but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." ~ Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)

""I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." ~ John 5:24 (NIV)

"I have suffered much; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your word." ~ Psalm 119:107 (NIV)

"but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." ~ John 4:14 (NIV)

"For this is what the high and lofty One says— he who lives forever, whose name is holy: "I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite." ~ Isaiah 57:15 (NIV)

"Lord, by such things men live; and my spirit finds life in them too. You restored me to health and let me live." ~ Isaiah 38:16 (NIV)

"But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. " ~ Psalm 1:2-3 (NIV)

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." ~ Isaiah 40:8 (NIV)

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God." ~ Psalm 20:7 (NIV)

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. " ~ John 1:1-4 (NIV)

I'm praying your source of comfort is the greatest Comforter of all, our Lord! He longs to enfold you in His arms and whisper the promises of life to your ear in good times and in bad. He loves you that much! He wants you to be secure in the comfort of His Word. How blessed are we, indeed!

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ," ~ Ephesians 1:7-9 (NIV)

What are you thankful for this week? Thankful Thursday is hosted by Iris at Grace Alone... Please be sure to visit her, link up and post your own thankful post.


26 comments:

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann, what a beautiful, thoughtful, uplifting post!

Thank you for taking the time to share all that you do each week!

God bless and love,
Jill

Unknown said...

Hi Laurie Ann,

What a fantastic post. John 10:10 one of my favorites as well. You know I get what you are talking about how I didn't understand some scripture but over time and re-reading, God reveals such amazing truths and freedom. Awesome Post. Loved it. Love you. Hugs.

Jennifer said...

Awesome post, Laurie Ann! I love God Word and the power of speaking the Word.

Thank you for taking the time to put all of this together in one amazing post.

Happy TT!

((hugs))
Jenn

LAURIE said...

Laurie Ann,
You have given us some great scripture to meditate upon tonight. Isn't it awesome that no matter what we may be feeling or going thru - God has already given us hope and direction to get thru it. Alot of things change but God's Word remains the same and is better than any self-help book! -Blessings, Laurie

Melanie said...

I love all of God's precious words you shared with us tonight! What a blessing.

Denise said...

You are such an inspiring friend, love you.

Leaon Mary said...

Hey girl,
The verse that stood out for me in y our post is: "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

Thanks for sharing tonight; I love the purple text on the WORD..
Hugs,
L

Grammy said...

An amazing post.I love the positive list.
Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Laurie Ann, this is a beautiful post. Some of the verses you have suggested are among my favorites!

I am finding the more I read the Bible, and I try to always remember to pray for enlightenment before hand, the more I want to read!

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

Jesus is the great Comforter and this post is a testimony to the comfort He sends through others! Thank you!

Love your sweet thankful heart, my friend!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I so needed your post! LOVE the verses!

Lori said...

I was the same way about God's word. I had to pray the Lord would make his word come alive in my heart, because I just was not "excited" when I read it.

That has all changed. I enjoy reading God's word and even with familiar passages God teaches me something new.

Enjoyed your list. Have a wonderful Thursday.

Speaking from the Heart said...

Laurie Ann,

Thank you for sharing your personal life. Your words have always uplifted me. I am glad that I can return the favor.

Lately, my blog seems too "commercialized" and not enough of personal touches. Your comments reminded me of what Speaking from the Heart is about, touching people via God's Words and my life experience.

Thank you,
Jean

Mary said...

Laurie Ann - I commented earlier but it didn't go through. Awesome post. The Word of God is life to us. We can't live in victory in our lives unless we know His Word. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for stopping by my place. You make me laugh! Blessings, Mary

Blessed With 4 said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful post. I am going back to re-read so I don't miss anything.
Blessings, BJ

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

John 10:10 is frequently of comfort to me- I enjoy being able to tell the devil that I know what he is trying to do and he is not going to steal anything from me because that is not God's will or plan for my life. Praise God! Great post!

He & Me + 3 said...

So glad that I can find promises and comfort in God's word. It has something for me everyday to be encouraged and to learn. Thank you for sharing.

bp said...

Bless you today!

Praise God for Truth and how we can find Truth in Him and His Word.

Tammy said...

Praise God - as always your post was encouraging & I love those verses!

LauraLee Shaw said...

The Lord has been my comfort for my whole life. He has completely covered me with this. This is a beautiful, anointed post, dear one.

HennHouse said...

Amen!!

Happy WFW (a day late)!

debi9kids said...

You have some beautiful uplifting verses here!
Thank you for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

laurie ann, that was awesome! i say amen to everything you said. God bless.

Sunny Shell said...

My beautiful twin!

WOW! I'm SO marking this one in my Bible! Oh, how rich and how perfect! But of course, it IS the word of our rich and perfect God!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the incredible reminder of God's miraculous and indescribable love for His children! WOW!

I love you dearly sis,♥
Sunny

God Chaser said...

Bless you for taking the time to share the word of God with us today-for how precious is His Word. Be blessed

Tricia said...

I too am so thankful for God's Word... I prayed and asked Him to give me a hunger and thirst for Him and the things of Him years ago, and ever since then I have not been able to get enough of His Word, it keeps drawing me back for more!

Blessings!