Wednesday, January 07, 2009


WFW - Ask...Seek...Knock

It's a promise written in red in the Bible. The very words Christ spoke then are still relevant today.
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." ~ Hebrews 13:8 (NIV)
I believe with all my heart that we are sorely lacking when we don't ask, seek and knock. What about you? Do you believe it? At least 3 of you do. (I voted in my own poll, hah hah! I know many didn't see the poll because of the holidays and all...it was a quick thing, really...)

The Greek word for ask in Luke 11:9 is aiteō, which means:

1) to ask, beg, call for, crave, desire, require

The Greek word for seek is zēteō, which means:

1) to seek in order to find
a) to seek a thing
b) to seek [in order to find out] by thinking, meditating, reasoning, to enquire into
c) to seek after, seek for, aim at, strive after
2) to seek i.e. require, demand
a) to crave, demand something from someone

The Greek word for knock is krouō, which means:

1) to knock: at the door

What kind of things are you asking for, seeking, and knocking at the door of God's heart for? I believe if we have a sincere need or want that we can ask, seek, knock and it will be given to us. Our Father withholds no good thing from us. He longs for us to ask him for the desires of our heart, to seek out wisdom and to knock down the walls of sin in our lives. If we ask anything in His Name and under His will, He will not deny us. His will is different than our own, but ultimately, the gift is there for the taking. He promises it in Luke 11:9.

Our Savior isn't saying that our Father will grant us every little desire and petition we make known to Him through prayer, but I believe what He might be saying here is that when we have questions, He'll provide the answers. When we seek, we will find what God wants us to find. When we knock, doors will be opened to us that we could never have imagined. If our hearts are receptive to the will of God, we will find that He has given us what we never knew to ask, seek or knock for, and it will be just what we needed all along.

I love the sequence of words of Christ used here. Knocking is stronger than seeking. Seeking is stronger than asking.

When we ask for something, we're expressing a desire to know or be known, a desire to have something fulfilled. Seeking is more intense. We're searching, aiming for, craving. And finally, knocking is something tangible, requiring us to move our hand.

God's desire is to bless us and help us in our time of need.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." ~ James 1:5 (NIV, Emphasis, mine)

"The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God." ~ Psalm 14:2 (NIV, Emphasis, mine)


"For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." ~ Luke 11:10 (NIV, Emphasis, mine)

Father, may we always ask, seek and knock as You have directed us to do through Your Son's most precious words. Thank You for being a God who loves us and offers us such mercy and grace. Thank You for each precious gift you give. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." ~ James 1:17 (NIV

The purpose of WFW is to share the Word of God through photo's and a verse. Amydeanne, over at The 160 Acre Woods, is our hostess. Be sure to link up and share your own, and drop her a thank you for hosting this wonderful meme each week. It always blesses my heart to read all the posts and see the photos and verses. This is a wonderful way to minister to others and to be ministered to by reading others posts. Please visit by clicking on the button below.





28 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

You come up with the best picture for your verses! So when does the book come out?LOL!
Hugs my friend.
Kim

Joyfull said...

Beautiful verse and picture! WFW are such a blessing, thank you for being a part of that blessing.

Anonymous said...

As always wonderful picutre and verse. You are so amazing with your words. What a blessing! Thanks!!!

ellen b. said...

Good Morning Laurie Ann,
A very happy New Year to you. May this be a year of knocking and seeking and trusting our God!

Susan said...

Good Morning Laurie Ann,

Oh, this was great, and so reassuring as I begin this new year, asking so many things of the Lord!

Thank God He is faithful to hear and open that door.

Blessings to you my sweet friend♥

Anonymous said...

Laurie Ann, you always make me think! I had never considered the differences between asking, seeking and knocking and they're really very relevant. And I love that verse, that promise to us! How holy is He!

Alexis said...

GREAT post, and lots of useful wisdom in there :) Thanks for sharing, and have a fantabulous day.

Joan said...

Great post. I attend Bible Study Fellowship and we title our prayer requests A.S.K. inspired by your verse today. God makes things so easy for us and yet we make it so hard.

Blessings

Mimi said...

Great job with the pic & verse!

I have a great Inspiration giveaway going on my Devotional Daze blog, so stop by & check it out!

Sunny Shell said...

Beautiful sister Laurie Ann,

I LOVE this! It's true, the Lord's sequence in this Scripture is amazing, for in asking, we must first be humble, in seeking, we must be passionate and in knocking we must believe in the One whom we have humbly entrusted our lives to.

I love you so much!♥
Sunny

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Beautiful verse. A great reminder to me today.

Anonymous said...

I love that verse--so simple yet profound.

Rebecca said...

That's a great picture and verse. And I love what you had to say!!! Such good thoughts.

Jen said...

What a blessing this was. Thank you for sharing.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

I can't tell you exactly why, but I love photographs of big old ugly doors. :-)
And I've always loved this verse -- it's one of the first verses I memorized at Fort Wayne Christian School.
I'd never considered the sequence of the words of Christ in this verse. Knocking -- seeking -- asking.
Excellent Insights!

~esthermay @The Heart of a Pastor's Wife

Mindy said...

You are a gifted teacher. YOur love for the Lord comes through in your writing in every post.

LauraLee Shaw said...

Just spent a few hours this afternoon knocking, seeking, submitting, weeping before the Lord. Now I come home and read this...wow, He's good. Thank you, Laurie Ann, for continually feeding my soul with more of Him.

Debra Kaye said...

Such a wonderful verse. Such a wonderful truth!

Blessings to you, Laurie Ann!

Peggy said...

Blessings Laurie Ann & thank you again for such wisdom & truth in this WFW teaching! I LOVE this verse and your photo with your graphics speaks powerfully! Though I love all you shared, what stands out was the sequence part:
"Knocking is stronger than seeking. Seeking is stronger than asking."
I had never thought of that and how each one takes more effort & faith.
You feed His sheep well! You shared many verses to treasure & bless our New Year with Praying diligently & with confidence that if we ask because we seek that we can boldly knock and enter into the Throne room by the blood of the Lamb
...thank you for pointing out that this is not a "grant every whim" process but one with being in union with the Father & Son by His Spirit! GREAT TEACHING! THANKS for an inspirational WFW & prayer!

Denise said...

Beautiful my friend, love you.

Susannah said...

Our Lord wants to be pursued! A wonderful verse about seeking after Him...

Blessings, e-Mom @ Chrysalis

Nancie said...

Great picture and verse. Thanks for sharing with us your thoughts and studies too. Take care and God bless!

Amydeanne said...

i almost posted this verse today too lol

Katrina said...

A heartfelt thank you for these timely words today. Such wonderful truth.

DeeDee said...

Ask - seek, - knock -
love the verse and the pic!
thanks for sharing today!
~dd

Joanne Sher said...

I love this - I feel wonderfully fed from your thoughts, your verse, and your picture. What a blessing!

Unknown said...

I love this verse and yet how many times I lack to seek God on things that bother me. I love that you add the greek and it's meaning.

I really enjoy your blog!

Anonymous said...

I so needed to read this post....I have been struggling with some things this week and need to remember to Ask and seek...

Blessings.