Tuesday, January 20, 2009

IOW Tuesday - He Reigns

Today is a very special day in history. Our first African American President is being inaugurated. While I openly admit that I didn't vote for him (sorry, sir, we just don't have the same point of view on so many things), I respect the choice of those who did. We live in a country where democracy is the norm and has been for hundreds of years now. Our forefathers fought hard for it and it's a valuable freedom to have here on earth.

That being said, I love the words above. Verse 3 of the hymn, "This Is My Father’s World" by Maltbie D. Babcock reminds us that this world is not our home and that we shouldn't be disheartened or sad by who rules our nation here on earth or any other thing caused by that ruler. God is the ultimate ruler. He reigns supreme and will always will. The final victory is with Him. He has good things in store for us!
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." ~ Jeremiah 29:11-13 (NIV)

While we should pray for our president and his plans for our country, we should also remember Who is in the Highest Office, our Most High God.

"God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne." ~ Psalm 47:8 (NIV)

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!" ~ Isaiah 52:7 (NIV)

This is the news we should be proclaiming! While it is fitting to take some time and recognize those in authority here on earth and pray for them, we need to be about our Father's business, proclaiming Him as the Leader of the World. He does reign!

And He will reign forever. John reported this in Revelation:

"Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns." ~ Revelation 19:6 (NIV)



May our voices rise up as high as the cheers for the current president during his inauguaration toward our Lord and Savior, who reigns forever and ever. It would be a shame to focus on one man and not take time to sing praises to our God and share Him with others.

Today will be a great opportunity to witness to others. In our neck of the woods, many people say that today is a sad day in history, one that will bring forth some changes that will cause our nation to slide into further moral decline and more of an economic slump. Point them to the One who reigns on the true throne and can bring peace into their hearts during such a time as this. Help them to know that in the midst of uncertainty, there is One who has all the Earth under His control - our God.

He Reigns!

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." ~ Isaiah 26:3 (NIV)

One thing we can be sure of. No matter what happens here on earth, this world is not our home. No matter what country you are a citizen of here in the natural, if you are saved by the precious grace God has given through His Son Jesus Christ, you are a citizen of Heaven.

"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body." ~ Philippians 3:20-21 (NIV)

Are you content here on the earth? It's one thing to be content with the loved ones in your life, but do you long for the promise above? Are you eagerly awaiting a Savior who will bring us home to Heaven? I am. This world proves more and more each day that it is not my home, but I know I have nothing to fear. I know that one day the One who rules my life will call me home, whether by natural death, accident, illness or Rapture, and I will be with Him forever. Do you have that assurance? If not, please email me at sisterchick1@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to talk with you more about it. If so, I can't wait to meet you, either here on earth or when we are called Home.

In "Other" Words Tuesday is hosted by Loni at Writing Canvas. Please link up and participate today.



15 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

A whole hearted AMEN on that! I did not vote for that person to whom will be our next president. In fact I can't even say his name after the word President. But that's my own problem lol. I can't wait for our eternal home and I know that all this bad has to happen before we get there so BRING IT ON! We are just one step closer to heaven!
Great post today my friend. You go girl!
Hugs.
Kim

LAURIE said...

Laurie Ann, that was so beautifully put. I also did not support him but it is our Christian duty to now get behind our President. I get tired of everytime I turn on the tv or the radio I hear people debating about this.... For the next four years he IS our President and we need to stop name calling and start praying for him, and for our country. Our voices can be heard! (thru the power of prayer that is.)

Have a great Tuesday!

Miriam Pauline said...

Well said!

Karen said...

That was great, enjoyed reading your thoughts on this today.

Melanie said...

AMEN, Laurie Ann! You've said exactly what I have been trying to post myself over the last few days. I finally gave up 'cause I just couldn't get it to come out right. I'm so very glad that you did, though. You wrote it exactly as I wanted to say it... every. single. word.

Anonymous said...

Great post Laurie Ann and one I needed to read it today because I am one of them in your neck of the woods that is saying it's a sad day in our country today. My mom even told me this morning even though we don't agree with him as Christians we have to support him. I'm just having a hard time with that to be honest and it's something I need to work on. I just don't know if I can support someone with his morals, then to top it off having phone calls coming into our office with people thinking since he's in office it's time to open their hands and us put money into it....but I do think you had an amazing post today!

He & Me + 3 said...

I am just so glad God is ultimately in control.

Susan said...

Laurie, this was INCREDIBLE!!!!

Our God Reigns...

Tracy said...

Amen Laurie Ann! Couldn't agree more. Praying for our new President Obama and resting on The One who truly reigns!

Blessings,
Tracy

Jennifer said...

Amen! Very beautifully put and very inspiring.

I didn't vote for him either because of some of his view that contradict God's word. But...I feel honored to be able to pray for him over the next 4 years.

I am at complete peace with him being our president...ONLY because this didn't catch God by surprise. He knew Obama would be the next president, He allowed it and He has a plan for our country. I have stated this in several comments today...I am at peace with it because God is in control. Whether God's plans are to change the heart of our president, lead our country in a revival and back toward Him or if He is laying the ground work for the second coming...I find my peace and rest in Him. I am excited to see what God is going to do over the next 4 years.

Again...absolutely beautiful post.

bp said...

I really appreciate your reminder to remember our Lord reigs and also to use this as a time to point people to Him. Thank you.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

You have applied Scripture perfectly to this occasion/topic. We're on the same page, friend.

Our citizenship is most assuredly in Heaven - not here!

Wonderful positive words today.

~esthermay

Peggy said...

Blessings Laurie Ann...So much to absorb on your two posts so far today...but absolutely amazing & beautiful your entire writings!

I chose to start here with IOW because you have started out with
my MEMORY VERSE and now I realize that I really should have continued with the next verses in Jeremiah 29. God was not finished with me there but once more you have inspired me with your words & teachings! I'm so thankful for you!

Lord, I join my sister Laurie Ann,
in EXALTING YOU! YOU REIGN and I am so thankful that our citizenship & allegiance is ONLY to Our Lord & Our Heavenly Home. I thank You!
Bless & keep my sister healthy & wise in you as you enable her to share as You lead her and bring the sheep here for her to lead to You!
You are in control. We surrender to
You & Your Reign over our lives.

Denise said...

Amen, beautifully said.

Unknown said...

Great verses! You wrote this beautifully! Thanks for sharing.