Wednesday, May 06, 2009

WFW - Strength in the Lord


Armed with Strength

God is so faithful to arm us with strength to make our way perfect. It certainly isn't something we can do on our own. Oh, we can try, but we would fail or surely miss out on the blessing He has for us.

Look at the Hebrew word for arms. 'Azar is a verb which means:

1) gird, encompass, equip, clothe
a) (Qal) to gird, gird on (metaphorical of strength)
b) (Niphal) be girded
c) (Piel) hold close, clasp
d) (Hiphpael) gird oneself (for war)

Oh, be still my heart! Does this not just make you want to sing praises to God? He holds us close and encompasses us, surrounding us with His strength!

Struggling for Strength

The Hebrew word for strength is chayil. It means:

1) strength, might, efficiency, wealth, army
a) strength
b) ability, efficiency
c) wealth
d) force, army

The strength, might, efficiency, wealth, and force comes from Him. It's not often easy gain that strength. In fact, I would say it's a process based on a study of the root word for strength. The root word for chayil is chuwl. It's a verb that means:

1) to twist, whirl, dance, writhe, fear, tremble, travail, be in anguish, be pained
a) (Qal)
1) to dance
2) to twist, writhe
3) to whirl, whirl about
b) (Polel)
1) to dance
2) to writhe (in travail with), bear, bring forth
3) to wait anxiously
c) (Pulal)
1) to be made to writhe, be made to bear
2) to be brought forth
d) (Hophal) to be born
e) (Hithpolel)
1) whirling (participle)
2) writhing, suffering torture (participle)
3) to wait longingly
f) (Hithpalpel) to be distressed

Completion

Once we have waited longingly and often suffered in distress, we are brought forth by God into the way He has prepared for us. Perfection. Does this mean all that we do is going to be perfect? Actually the Hebrew word for perfect is tamiym, which means:

1) complete, whole, entire, sound
a) complete, whole, entire
b) whole, sound, healthful
c) complete, entire (of time)
d) sound, wholesome, unimpaired, innocent, having integrity
e) what is complete or entirely in accord with truth and fact (neuter adj/subst)


We are complete and whole and are entirely in accord with God. What promise that brings to me. After I have realized that God has armed me with His strength, I realize that that the way before me has been made clear to walk in soundness, wholesomness, innocence and integrity.

Standing On the Heights

Our God enables us to stand strong like the feet of the deer on the heights. Because of the jagged places in the mountains and crags, the deer's feet had to be especially strong and sure-footed. Look at the Hebrew word and definition for strong here.

The Hebrew word for stand is `amad. It means:

1) to stand, remain, endure, take one's stand
a) (Qal)
1) to stand, take one's stand, be in a standing attitude, stand forth, take a stand, present oneself, attend upon, be or become servant of
2) to stand still, stop (moving or doing), cease
3) to tarry, delay, remain, continue, abide, endure, persist, be steadfast
4) to make a stand, hold one's ground
5) to stand upright, remain standing, stand up, rise, be erect, be upright
6) to arise, appear, come on the scene, stand forth, appear, rise up or against
7) to stand with, take one's stand, be appointed, grow flat, grow insipid
b) (Hiphil)
1) to station, set
2) to cause to stand firm, maintain
3) to cause to stand up, cause to set up, erect
4) to present (one) before (king)
5) to appoint, ordain, establish
c) (Hophal) to be presented, be caused to stand, be stood before

He sustains us with strength, might, efficiency, wealth in Him, and the force of an army to stand in this crazy world we live in and in Him. Like the deer standing on the heights, we are stationed, set and caused to stand firm by God. He enables us to remain, continue, abide, endure, persist, and be steadfast. How faithful is our God!

Wrap-Up

Let's purpose to recognize that our strength comes from Him who enables us and not we ourselves.

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." ~ Philippians 1:6 (ESV)

Questions for Reflection: What are some ways you have seen God arm you with strength and prepare you way for perfection? Are you still standing strong, as a deer on the heights, or do you need to climb back up the hill and rely on God again?

Verse of the Day: "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect." ~ Psalm 18:32 (NIV)

Prayer: Father, thank You for arming us with Your strength instead of leaving us to struggle in this world all by ourselves. Help us to look to You as the source of our strength and stand strong on the heights You have prepared for us. Help us to be complete and whole in You, and to bring glory and honor and praise to You as we share Your word with others. Thank You so much for Jesus, because without Him we know that we would have no access to You. In His Name I pray. Amen.

S - Seek Him always as your strength. "Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always." ~ 1 Chronicles 16:11 (NIV)

T - Trust in Him for your strength. "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." ~ John 14:1 (NIV)

R - Read His Word to strengthen you. "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." ~ Psalm 119:11 (NIV)

E - Expect to be able to act on strength in Him. "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." ~ Philippians 4:13 (NIV)

N - Never doubt Him as your source of strength through faith. "Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done." ~ Matthew 21:21 (NIV)

G - Give your whole heart to Him to receive strength from Him. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." ~ Mark 12:30 (NIV)

T - Thank the Lord in advance for His strength. "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." ~ Psalm 28:7 (NIV)

H - Have courage in Him as you stand by His strength. "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:13 (NIV)

The purpose of Word Filled Wednesday is to share the Word of God through photo's and Scripture. Amydeanne, over at The 160 Acre Woods, is our hostess. Be sure to link up and share your own, and drop her a thank you for hosting this wonderful meme each week. It always blesses my heart to read all the posts and see the photos and verses. This is a wonderful way to minister to others and to be ministered to by reading others posts. Please visit by clicking on the button below.



Photobucket

19 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, He is my strength.

Alleluiabelle said...

LaurieAnn,

I like what you said here: "We are complete and whole and are entirely in accord with God. What promise that brings to me. After I have realized that God has armed me with His strength, I realize that the way before me has been made clear to walk in soundness, wholesomness, innocence and integrity."

I'm standing firm and tall for Him despite the trials and the despair that I continue to go through daily. I've lost my footing at times, but He is always there to pull me back up to "stand strong on the heights".

You so reach into my mind and heart with your teachings. This, too, was a powerful post.

Love you dear friend,
Alleluiabelle

LAURIE said...

Love that picture, reminds me of all of my visits to my grandma when I was growing up. She lived out in the country but across the street was a deer farm. We used to like to walk over there and get a coke from the restuarant and watch the deer. Isn't that just like God to be constant watch over us. Happy Wednesday!

He & Me + 3 said...

Thank God for His awesome strength...because I am so weak in myself but find strength in Him. Love that verse and picture.

Bobbi said...

I had some similar thoughts about scripture with gazelles/deer while at the zoo yesterday...Very neat!

Thanks for your kind words of comfort on my blog. I appreciate it!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Very nice verse and wfw.

ellen b. said...

Good morning Laurie Ann! It is God indeed! What a great truth to remind us with! Blessings on your week!!

lori said...

Laurie Ann....one to go back and read SLOWLY after school....The deer image is wonderful!

Peace to you girl!
lori

Mimi said...

Beautiful WFW.

Blessings to you!

Cathy said...

Thank you for that, Laurie Ann, I needed it because of a heart procedure I am having Friday.

Laurie said...

Laurie Ann,
Wow once more. If ever in my life, I need God's strength more and more. With two small children, an even crazier world around, a potential move, and a husband in between jobs- I NEED THE STRENGTH OF THE LORD! This touched me deeply!
Thanks, Laurie

Janet Benlien Reeves said...

What a beautiful picture and verse. Thank you for sharing your deep and practical thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you have ministered to me this day, Laurie Ann. I needed to be reminded of God's strength and my weakness, yet He does arm me with Himself.

I am blessed to read your entire post with the Hebrew words and meanings. I study that way and find that I want to research to the depths. Thank you, ~ linda

Peggy said...

Blessing Laurie Ann...I find strength in the Lord and realize more & more how weak I am and how much I still have to learn. My feet are probably not as sturdy in standing as they once were & I'm beginning to rely more & more on Him carrying me. I'm sure He prefers that I stand firm in His Word. But I find myself needing to lean on Him while being on my own.

Thank you teach, I walked through this one the way you taught & followed well this time.

Love the deer and very special verse & the lesson on STRENGTH, standing firm & "hind's feet in high places" - one of my favorites!

Mary Moss said...

As always, a wonderful post full of knowledge and wisdom:-) Thank you!

Alex said...

Thank you for your encouragement today! Happy WFW!

Jennsmere said...

Amen, Laurie Ann! I love this scripture and you did an excellent post!

Bless you,
Susan

Samantha said...

Such a lovely picture and verse,
thanks for sharing and also stopping by my blog today. I always enjoy reading your WFW posts, they are a blessing to me !

God Chaser said...

Thanks for a wonderful word. Blessings