Thursday, May 07, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Thanks, Momma
Lynn at Spiritually Unequal Marriage is hosting Thankful Thursday this week. It's about Mom's.

She writes, "My mother is the foundation of my faith. She never stopped praying for me or believing in me even in my prodigal years. I am certain she wanted to kick my, ahem, bootie back then but she prayed instead."

She took the words right out of my mouth! I could have written it myself. Oh, Lynn, are you sure we don't have the same Mom?!?

It describes Momma to a tee.

Because of Momma....

  • I never remember not knowing Jesus.
  • I never felt like an inconvenience.
  • I never went without.
  • I truly understand what sacrifices she made.
  • I learned what a servant's heart looks like.
  • I learned what honoring your parents meant by watching her.
  • I know I am well loved.
  • I have seen "Jesus" with skin on.
The Greek word for thanks is eucharisteō. It means:

1) to be grateful, feel thankful
2) give thanks
Thank you, Momma, for loving me so much, for the sacrifices you made to provide for me and for instilling within me a love for God and for family and reading. You are one of my personal heroes and I love you with all of my heart. And thank You, God, for giving a Mother like this to me.

I do thank God for Momma and am so blessed to have her in my life. I pray for her every time I come before God and I remember her love and good deeds.

The Greek word for remember is mneia, which means:

1) remembrance, memory, mention

It comes from the root words mnaomai, which means:

1) to remind
a) to be recalled or to return to one's mind, to remind one's self of, to remember
b) to be recalled to mind, to be remembered, had in remembrance
c) to remember a thing
d) be mindful of

and mimnēskomai, which means:

1) to remind
a) to be recalled or to return to one's mind, to remind one's self of, to remember
b) to be recalled to mind, to be remembered, had in remembrance
c) to remember a thing
d) be mindful of

I thank Him for providing me with a legacy of faith through her and the generations before her that handed them down to her. I ask Him to help me hand that legacy down to those He has give me to bonus-mom and grandmother and mentor and love.

Let's all remember our Mother's today and be thankful for what they have given us. Let us take the lessons learned and pass them down to the next generation.

If you're like me and don't have biological or adopted children, perhaps even bonus children in your life, look around you at those younger than you that are watching. Be that shining example to them and teach them what is good.

Do you have a mother you can rise up and bless? I realize that not everyone is as lucky as I am. If you were abused or neglected or abandoned, thank the one who took her place in your life. If you don't have the fond memories that I do, search your heart and try to find one thing, just one good thing, to remember and thank God for the one who carried you in her womb.

A note to non-moms: Contact me at magnoliaheartbeats@gmail.com if you feel alone this Mother's Day. I've been there, my friend. You would be surprised at how the sting of hearing Happy Mother's Day used to wound me. I have found healing and have discovered that God has not left me forsaken.

"He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD." ~ Psalm 113:9 (NIV)


Even if I never had Kristyn as a bonus daughter, I would still be surrounded by children to mentor and teach. From nieces to nephews and friends' children, my heart is full of children to love.

My fulfillment comes from Christ, not from being a bonus Mom. Please don't let that offend you. I'm just saying that sometimes we look to people to meet needs in our lives that only Christ can and should meet. We expect too much from others sometimes. The Lord longs for us to depend on Him as the Source and identity of who we are. While we are certainly to love our Mother's, our children, our grandchildren, etc., we are called to this first:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." ~ Mark 12:30 (NIV)

Questions for Reflection: What's your fondest memory of the one in your life you can call Mom? Why not let her know today, or if she's no longer with you, share it with God in prayer.

Verse of the Day: "I thank my God every time I remember you." ~ Philippians 1:3 (NIV)

Prayer: Father, thank You for Momma. She is full of wisdom and kindness and has strength beyond measure. I pray that I take the lessons learned from being blessed to be her daughter and pass them on to others. Help me be just like Momma, having all of her characteristics, Lord. Help us to honor our Mother's by thanking You upon every remembrance of them. Give us strength and wisdom as we mother others that You have so graciously given us. Help us to realize that we are blessed with so many to love in our lives and have a high calling to teach them Your ways, Lord. Please be with those who are hurting this Mother's Day. Heal their hurts and help them find fulfillment and peace in You. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

What are you thankful for this week? Visit Lynn for more Thankful Thursday posts and be sure to link up and share your own.

Photobucket

20 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow.. a great post, Laurie Ann! I love how you are such an encouragement to those women that have never had children of their own. I love how you have taken your past struggles and pain in this area, turned them over to God and are using them to help others. What a blessing you are!

Happy Thankful Thursday!

He & Me + 3 said...

Just beautiful. Mother's are a precious gift! I thank God for giving me a God fearing Mom...she is the proverbs 31 woman.

bp said...

Such a sweet tribute to your Mom.

I really love how you are willing to minister to those hurting this Mother's Day. God bless you.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

I too was blessed by a household of faith, while growing up. Everything you wrote of you mother could be said of mine. Thank you for all you shared, today. I know many people who were not raised by faithful parents. I feel so blessed to have see Christ through my mother EVERYDAY.

Melissa said...

Thank you for sharing this, and for reaching out to those who feel alone this Mother's Day.

Sunny Shell said...

Oh beautiful twin!

What a blessing from our Father God! I'm so thankful for this snippet of time He's given me to visit with you today!

I'm constantly blessed by your humble servants heart! You're always reading to share and help others with the same comfort Christ has given you! I love you so much!

What a beautiful tribute to your mom!

Love you twin!
Sunny

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann,

What a beautiful post!

What a blessing to be able to write such beautiful things about your mother with sincerity of heart!

God is so good to have used her to touch you in such profound ways!

I praise Him for the words of love you spoke over every woman who may not have had a healthy relationship with their mother or have yet to experience motherhood on their own yet.

May God continue to speak deep truths of His love for you - being the vessel of kindness and hope to all those who visit with you!

Hugs and love,
Jill

Tammy said...

Thank you for remembering the women who are not able to have a child...but there are so many ways to be a "mom" to someone else. There are a lot of children out there who need a motherly influence. I loved reading about your mom also. :-)

Autumn said...

I have given you a blog award! Please stop by to pick it up!

www.oldfashionedfamilies.info

Autumn

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful heritage from your mother! It makes me wonder what my children will say in 20 years.

Saleslady371 said...

Your Mom sounds like quite the lady! I like the way you said she taught you about honoring by modeling it.

Denise said...

Such a precious post, love you.

Genefaith said...

Such a great post that touches my heart..I pray with your prayer my dear. I'm so blessed of how your life becomes a blessing to others.

We're blessed to have moms who unceasingly prayed for us.

Mine is up:

1. TT-A MOM2. Thankful ListHAppy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rita T. said...

Great word pictures ....Jesus with skin on. Gives me goose bumps.
Happy Thankful Thursday and may you have a blessed Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing about being a 'non-Mom', Laurie Ann. I, too, am childless in the usual sense. I have struggled with going to church on Mother's Day because they would always have the mothers stand to receive their flower. I always remained seated and the children passing out the flowers did not know what to do with me. : / Then one Sunday, a precious sister in the LORD presented me with her flower and told me I was like a mother to her, leaving us both with tears a-flowin'. Since then, Mother's Day has never been the same and I know I am blessed. I also have had a few special 'daughters', taught school for years, and also am learning more and more to depend on the LORD for all and not on other people! It is a process. Psalm 113:9 is the Scripture that God gave to me in my struggle years ago. It has helped me.
And remembering our mothers when we have them or when they are in heaven is also so important for us. I want to tell Mom just how much I love her on her good days and on her not-so-good days when dementia has a hold, I care for and love her in whatever way she allows.
May the LORD bless you. ~ linda

Pia said...

laurie ann, i used to be wounded in my heart every time this event comes. i still am. it pains my heart to be in this situation where my husband and i are and it pains me even more that we still have no child. BUT GOD.

my hope for a restoration and motherhood is still not fading. my hope is in the Lord.

(((HUGS)))

God Chaser said...

Laurie Ann you said this very well. Blessings to you and your mother for helping to mold such a one as you. blessings and Happy Mother's Day.
Willnette

Joyeful said...

What a beautiful thank you to your mother! Because of my mom I know Jesus too! I am eternally grateful to her! I can't wait to write a post to her.

And it is just beautiful that you are ministering to those women who may find Mother's Day difficult! God Bless you, dear sister!

Jerralea said...

Sorry I'm late coming by this week, Laurie Ann, but I want to say how moving your tribute to your mom is. Also, I have been there, on Mother's Day, with no child for 10 years, and it hurt so bad to go to church and feel left out. I never forget how it felt. God bless you!