Monday, May 04, 2009

Answers to Questions from Earlier Post

I received a few questions from my post today that I thought I'd post here. I loved your questions! You asked some good ones and I appreciate it.

Elephant Phobia

Jennifer, from Through the Storms of Life, asked about my elephant phobia. I thought I would answer here.

I am as frightened of elephants as normal people are spiders and snakes. Or mice. Pick your phobia. Mine is elephants. Pachydermophobia. I kid you not. But I don't mind if you laugh. I'm used to it and sometimes I have to laugh at myself to keep from crying about it. Especially if there are no elephants around. If they are, I'm crying, not laughing. I expect support and sympathy if you find me near an elephant. I will be passed out on the ground or perhaps crouching in a fetal position screaming, "Momma!", so no laughter then, m'kay? I realized I really needed to work on this a few years ago when there was a commercial where an elephant sat on a car. I think it was for car insurance or something, but I never found out because Kristyn, Steve, Corey, a guest in my home, whoever was there would all dive for the remote to change it. Horton Hears a Whoo is hard for me to watch as is The Jungle Book. I get a map of whatever zoo we're at and arrange a meeting place when we get close to the elphants. I can find at least 3 ways around ever having to see them. Why am I so scared of them? When I was in 5th grade, Daddy took me and his oldest daughter to the zoo. We were standing there, watching the elephants and I guess something spooked one. He raised up, putting his front legs up on the inside of the fence and then blew his trunk, blasting a trumpeting sound so loud that it sent me running. Daddy found me 10 or 15 minutes later cowering like a sissy in the bathroom. They wanted to finish the tour but no way, no how. I latched on to my daddy's leg and he saw I wasn't letting go. Took my hysterical self home and on to the emergency room for a shot of something to calm me down. It scared me *that* badly! To this day, they are seriously my worst nightmare.

Singing at the Table

Leisha asked about the not singing at the table thing. I stand corrected. It's not a superstition - it's bad manners according to my Dad. Hah hah! I always thought it was a superstition. I had said I don't consider myself a superstitious person and but that was one of the things I didn't do. I never allowed Kristyn to do it because I wasn't allowed to. I guess it's kind of like not putting your elbows on the table. So it shouldn't have been lumped in there with me not feeling comfortable walking under ladders or opening umbrellas in the house. Whew! Singing at the table while you're eating with a mouthful of food...not quite the same but still...Bwahahaha! Reminds me of the story about the woman who trimmed a roast and her daughter trimmed it and her daughter finally asked why. Calling her grandmother she found out that her grandmother's pan was too small for the roast so she always trimmed it. Some things are better asked, but kind of close into adulthood. I would imagine if I was singing at the table and Daddy told me not to and I asked why I would have been considered disrespectful. Note: that may not be bad manners for everyone. I was a very talkative child and sang *all* the time. I was never quiet. Mother took me to the doctor once because I was hoarse and Dr. Y told her without even examining me he knew what the problem was. He told her to keep me quiet for a few hours. That was hard work for my Momma, ya'll! I'm about half as chatty now as I was growing up.

Other Questions

Peggy, from Amazing Grace, Messes, Mazes, Miracles, also asked some questions I'd love to answer on my blog.

Where is my testimony?

My testimony can be found here.

Spiritual Gifts

Peggy also asked, "Have you taken a Spiritual Gift Inventory? What gifts do you manifest?"

That's a great question! It's been a long time since I've taken one. I'd love to say that I manifest them all, but I don't. I know that as believer's we all have different functions in the Body of Christ. I know we have different gifts. That said, I took a spiritual gifts test. "Showing Mercy, Teaching, Pastor/Shepherd" were my dominant gifts. Showing mercy is so easy for me. I love to teach. I hear alot that I manifest this one. Pastor/Shepherd is one that I'm not too sure about. I was raised to believe that women come under the covering of men as far pastoring goes. I love teachers like Beth Moore and Joyce Meyer and have come across some blogs where women who are pastors or co-pastors with their husbands. I think it's awesome and realize that the way I was raised may not be what God teaches or perhaps I have confused what pastoring and shepherding really mean, but still it's a term I'm uncomfortable with personally. I also scored highly in exhortation, discernment and administration. I see these things manifested daily in my life and am pleased that they are gifts from God. They are just a part of who I am. My weakest gift is evangelism. I'm disappointed but not surprised. I need to grow in this area.

Word Study

Peggy wrote, "I want you to take a post to teach us this: (if you will) How do you do thoseWORD STUDY of a Bible verse? where you get the Greek or Hebrew & then dissect us...walk us through one like say my memory verse: John 8:12. I've looked up sources when I'm reading yours to try and check &you seem to have a way!!!"

Here we go! Let's look at the verse first. I can't remember John 8:12 by heart because I haven't committed it to memory; however, I'm so thankful for God's written word and it's availability here in the United States. I'm also thankful for www.biblegateway.com, which I go to to view multiple translations of this verse. You can view it in many different versions of the Bible on this website. For this purpose I'm using the NIV.

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." ~ John 8:12 (NIV)

Now let's say we'd like to look at the word light.

I go to www.blueletterbible.org and type in "John 8:12".

I discover that the Greek word for light is actually from a phrase called the light.

I click on the C for concordance and see so much information! I click on the Strong's Number for the word and I find out that the Greek word for the light is phōs. To get the phonetic spelling over that I just copy and paste the word. I italicize it for emphasis. I copy the meaning and paste it.

So my sentence would read, "The Greek word for the phrase the light is phōs, which means:

1) light
a) the light
1) emitted by a lamp
2) a heavenly light such as surrounds angels when they appear on earth
b) anything emitting light
1) a star
2) fire because it is light and sheds light
3) a lamp or torch
c) light, i.e brightness
1) of a lamp
2) metaph.
a) God is light because light has the extremely delicate, subtle, pure, brilliant quality
b) of truth and its knowledge, together with the spiritual purity associated with it
c) that which is exposed to the view of all, openly, publicly
d) reason, mind
1) the power of understanding esp. moral and spiritual truth

I gather other information sometimes by viewing the Vines entry if there is one and also clicking on the Root Word (Etymology) if there is one. Since there is one here I look at it and see if it's something I might like to post.

Oh yes! One of the root words is phainō, the Greek verb, which means:

1) to bring forth into the light, cause to shine, shed light
2) shine
a) to shine, be bright or resplendent
b) to become evident, to be brought forth into the light, come to view, appear
1) of growing vegetation, to come to light
2) to appear, be seen
3) exposed to view
c) to meet the eyes, strike the sight, become clear or manifest
1) to be seen, appear
d) to appear to the mind, seem to one's judgment or opinion

And since there is another one I click on it. I get really excited at this one!

Phēmi, the Greek verb means:

1) to make known one's thoughts, to declare
2) to say

I just have to pause here and say....ya'll, Jesus is The Light with a capital T and a capital L! Look at these meanings! A brightness that refers to our Savior's truth and is caused to shine by God! A Light that is of truth and its knowledge, together with the spiritual purity associated with it. A Light which is exposed to the view of all, openly, publicly. He bears truth and knowledge and all spiritual purity associated with Himself. He makes known His thoughts nad declares to us what He has to say. Oh, friends, those who have read the Word cannot deny Him! The truth of...of...oh, help. What's that verse?

Finding a Verse

I am looking for the verse about how one day every knee will bow in Heaven and earth and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

I head over to http://www.biblegateway.com/.

I type in knee, bow, Heaven in the field up at the top by the magnifying glass to pull up the verses which have all those words together in them and it brings up one. I'm getting close!

I expand to get the verse in context and copy and paste the verses:

"Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." ~ Philippians 2:9-11 (NIV)

This is the Light that is so exalted by God and is clearly revealed. There is no way to miss it. And one day everyone will, whether they want to or not, bow and confess it and God will be glorified!

Acrostics

Peggy also asked about the acrostics.

"Also ACROSTICS would be nice also...how you come up with a verse for each
letter..."

I pray before I begin any post. Even the fun ones. I want God to have me write what's on His heart for me to say and in a way that ministers to people. If I'm going to write something light-hearted, I pray that I would not malign His Word and that my love for Him will still shine through.

Often, at the end of my posts, I do an acrostic on something that God uses to speak to me. For this post, I will do one on light. I ask myself what I want people to know about the topic and what truths should be shared. I pray that God will guide me not only in the statement that I write but in finding a verse that supports it. I began doing verses because I want God's Word to line up with what I'm saying. Clearly sometimes verses are out of context, but they speak regarding the topic I'm posting on so I'll use them.
I write out the word, double-spaced, and enlarge the first letter of the word with a hyphen following it. Then I usually pray again, especially if it's a long word! Father, help me really focus on You in this and let Your Light, the Son, shine through. Guide me in the words I write and in finding a good verse to go with it to drive it home to everyone. May it be used for Your glory, Lord. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
I'm ready. Or am I? We'll see!
L - Look to the Light to satisfy your heart's desire. Okay - what's a good verse for that? Time to go back to www.biblegateway.com and find out. I do a search on the word satisfy. Hmmm...I'm really loving Isaiah 58:11 here. "The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." ~ Isaiah 58:11 (NIV) I italicize it to set it apart from the verse and often color the text differently than the statement.
I - I. What can I do for the letter I? What's a good word for diving into the Word? I'd love to post a statement about how important it is to spend time in God's Word, which is also the light. I usually go to www.dictionary.com and click on the Thesaurus for help. Dive. Hmmm....Plunge? But that doesn't have anything I want that starts with an I. Oh, I know! Immerse! So I would write...Immerse yourself in the Word daily to stay in the Light. Then I'm ready for my verse. I ask myself what verse speaks to me about staying in the Word. My mind takes a whole different direction as I remember the verse, "Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Okay. So that's a paraphrase need to find the verse but I just thought of a great "I" word. Invite! Invite God's Word to light Your way. Heading back to www.biblegateway.com and going to find the verse to make sure I have it right. I know it's a Psalm but which one? I should know! But I don't. Key words to the verse are handy. I'll do a search on "word, lamp". How many verses would have both those in them? Two. Really! "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." ~ Psalm 119:105 (NIV) and Revelation 2:1.
G - I know I still want to say something about diving into God's Word. Maybe it will fit here. Back to the thesaurus at www.dictionary.com. Nothing with a G but I saw the words plunge and jump. Let me check them out. Not so much. Hmmm....something I see there makes me think of the word devote. Consecrate leads me to honor. At this point I need to pray some more. Father, guide me... guide? Guard! No. G.....guh-guh-guh....hard g sound here. Okay, Father, I need Your help! I'm stuck. Please lead me to a word for G if You're wanting me to do this acrostic. Clear my mind and help me to remember that this is a post that is supposed to honor You and glorify Your name. In the Name of Jesus, I pray. Amen. Glorify. Thanks, God! Glorify God by spending time in the Word daily, so you will recognize the light and stay out of the darkness. Really? Is that too wordy? Maybe, but it's on my heart. But won't people know that if they spend time in the Word they'll recognize the light? Maybe I should take off the and stay out of the darkness part. Glorify God by staying in His Word, the Light. Good. Now to find a verse. Really, I am thinking out loud (by typing - I'm not talking because Wilson would come barking since I'm the only one in the house.) This is my thought process. I kid you not. Back to www.biblegateway.com. I plug in word, light in the search field and come up with 8 verses. I am loving this one. "Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the word of his servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God." ~ Isaiah 50:10 (NIV) Decided to use that verse for T, so I'm using "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." ~ 1 John 1:7 (NIV) Modified the statement for G a little. Glorify God by staying in His Word and fellowshipping with other believers.
H - H. We know what we have to do here. Help others move toward Christ, our light. Any verse with encourage, light? Yeah, but I don't want to use Hebrews 12:5 for this. I wonder how many times light is used in the Bible? I key in light and find 270 verses. I have to narrow this down. I wonder about how many use Jesus, Light. Hmmm....let's look. 8. I love 1 John 1:7 but it doesn't speak to what I'm using here. What about that verse about letting your light shine before men so you'll be an example to them? I could plug in some keywords here, but now I'm thinking about the Great Commission. "He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation." ~ Mark 16:5 (NIV)
T - I really loved 1 John 1:7. I wonder if I can use it here? "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." ~ 1 John 1:7 (NIV) What do I preface it with, though? Trust the light of Christ to keep you from darkness. Move you from darkness. Move you from and keep you from darkness. Trust the light of Christ to keep move you out of the darkness and keep you from wandering back in. Naw. Trust the light of Christ to move you from darkness to His Light, keeping you close beside Him. I love this statement but I think it would go better with a verse I used above. "Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the word of his servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God." ~ Isaiah 50:10 (NIV) But 1 John 1:7 is speaking to me, I have to use it for G now.

Finished Acrostic

L - Look to the Light to satisfy your heart's desire. "The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." ~ Isaiah 58:11 (NIV)

I - Invite God's Word to light Your way.
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." ~ Psalm 119:105 (NIV)

G - Glorify God by staying in His Word and fellowshipping with other believers. "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." ~ 1 John 1:7 (NIV)


H - Help others move toward Christ, our light. "He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation." ~ Mark 16:5 (NIV)

T - Trust the light of Christ to move you from darkness to His Light, keeping you close beside Him. "Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the word of his servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God." ~ Isaiah 50:10 (NIV)

Photobucket

4 comments:

Denise said...

You are so filled with Godly wisdom, I love you.

Peggy said...

Oh MY Laurie Ann...I only GOT as far as the "G" overwhelmed that you were actually walking me through this, and I broke into tears as you processed this ACROSTIC! I don't even have the words to express my gratitude but YOU ARE THE QUEEN
(the (wo)man)!!!! of WORD STUDY!
Definitely a GIFT!!! I so agree with what Denise wrote...GODLY WISDOM...this is OVER aMazing!

I was blessed to see you were answering ???s...I saw the elephant...after looking at Jennifer's...then the "singing at the table" but when I saw that you did all 3 of mine...I was in AWE!!!

YOU are AWESOME!!! & very prompt!

And even though you have told this so well step by step, source by source, thought by lovely thought, cuz we don't want Wilson to think you're speaking to him or lost your marbles...

I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS but certainly am thankful and I will try because you have delighted my heart & my mind! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Jesus is the LIGHT!
And His Light shines through you, my precious sister Laurie Ann!

To Him be the Glory!

Bless you for blessing me
abundantly!

I hope others will appreciate all this also & maybe you can use this study & the acrostic this week for something so I don't feel so guilty!

YOU ROCK!!!

Thanks! BIG HUG! I feel so special & privileged! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

You are the word master! LOL. And I love biblegateway. It's a go to for me as well. Especially when the mind goes blank and only remembers part of a verse! LOL.
Big hugs to you sweet friend.

Saleslady371 said...

Thank you for sharing your Bible resources with us. You are such a blessing to instruct us how to feed ourselves as well. But I do love studying with you, sweet friend!

Elephants: With so many followers of this blog, I think some of us should think about visiting you in Mississippi. We should surround you and take you to the zoo. Yes! Arm in arm, we should walk past the elephants with you. I'm willing...as long as I do not have to enter any elevators!!!!!!

Love you,
Mary