Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gustav is in the Gulf





He's a Category 4 hurricane now and mandatory evacuations have begun in some of the areas expected to be hit. Unless he turns and heads more toward Mississippi (where I live), it looks like Louisiana and Texas are in for it.








We are as prepared as we can be. We have plenty of everything we should need. We expect more rain and tornadoes than anything else. My heart aches for those on the coast who are going through the evacuation process. When Katrina hit I worked in a Red Cross shelter our church had set up in our family life center. It wasn't home, but it was comfortable. Many had no homes to go back to. It was a sad sad time watching the concern of the people there, especially those who had relatives who had opted to stay and ride it out. Many who did stay last time have said they won't do it again. Who can blame them?

I would pack up what I could (including animals, important papers, pictures, as many books as I could - yeah, I'm like that, but we have room since there are no kiddos to pack) and head inland.

Homes are replaceable, lives are not. As far inland as I am, 2.5 hours, I have felt the ravages of the wind and rain and gone through the power outages, etc. I just can't imagine staying in harms way, but many do. Why is that? What are they thinking? I'm sincerely asking, not putting down anyone who chooses to stay...I know the methods of transportation are there for those who cannot afford it. They took school buses from our state, and I'm sure others, down today and had trains ready to take people out. I just can't wrap my head around it and was wondering what some of your thoughts were.

What's a home, really? What are you staying for when you choose not to evacuate when you know in advance that a major storm is headed your way? Would you stay? Why or why not? If you had a day to pack, what would you carry with you if you chose to leave?

4 comments:

Denise said...

My prayers are with everyone.

Leaon Mary said...

Hey Laurie,
Just poppin in to say hi.
I loved what you wrote about the waitress and when you asked her if she was feeling okay she told you about her rotten day. I love that. Things like that have happened sort of to me as well and its amazing how thee "other" side/story is gigantic?
But peoples first reaction is to unload back. I love how you "respond"... In CHRIST.
Just so ya know..
I JUST LOVE YA GIRL!
Hope things are okay with Daddy in law, and praying for you too that the winds and rain are not too bad.
Much love from the potting shed

sailorcross said...

My daughter lives in Texas, though in Austin, so I don't think she'll be too hardly hit.

Would I stay? No, I wouldn't stay. A house is just a building that can be rebuilt. But, each individual is a special being created by God, and that being cannot be replaced.

What would I take with me? My Bible, pictures of my children and my mom and dad (now gone), important papers, and oh yes--can't forget this--something to knit while I'm waiting in the shelter for the storm to clear.

Thanks for a wonderful post!

Beth

Anonymous said...

with family to think of, there is no way we would feasible stay for a Catagory 3 or more...just because of living in a Gulf Coast state, we've learned to take precautions while it is still calm and have everything quick to grab and go...the most important documents are in plastic totes and other than that...we tend to pack naturally clothes, non-perishable food, and I bring my bible and bible study aids to keep me busy and focus on Our Heavenly Father.

Since we are homeschooling..have to bring the homeschooling items but beside that and of course the pets, can't forge them...

A house is replaceable and save for non-replaceable such as heirloom items...its really all material that can be replaced...Our home is in the hands of our Heavenly Father and in our hearts and in our family and friends.