Monday, August 11, 2008

Update on my 37 Things to Do in the Year of Laurie

On my birthday each year I make a list of the things I want to accomplish that year. I used to call it "The Year of Laurie" because it was "my" birthday, but this year I'm changing it to, "38 Things to Do in the Year God Gives Me." And I will be adding goals I can actually afford and accomplish. Any ideas?!?

Without further adieu, or is that ado?...here's my update from what I have done, haven't done, and might still have a chance to do in less than a month. Some of it has been edited.

37 Things to Do in the Year of Laurie

1. Age gracefully - I did this by covering the grays and hopefully will keep them covered. Also, I'm not worried about aging, so that in and of itself should qualify as "aging gracefully".

2. Quit smoking. I know I need to stop and I know it would be healthier for me if I did. It's hard, but a lot of things in life are hard. I plan to slow down some at first, then quit eventually this year, but in all honesty, probably won't have it done by my birthday.

3. Learn to master the art of silence. - I'm talking less than I used to, speaking mainly when I have something to say and not just blabbering to keep conversation going. I mean, it's important to talk with your friends, but I really watch what I say now and am really aware of the words that I speak, most of the time. Sometimes I fail but I'm forgiven.

4. Ride in a horse-drawn carriage in New Orleans. This will have to go to the next list. Doesn't look like we'll be doing this before my birthday.

5. Read through the Bible. I did this! I am so excited that God has given me the endurance and perseverance needed to do this. He has given me the love of reading and it's truly a gift to be able to read, so why not honor Him and read His Word? I am on my third round of doing this and finished Habbakuk just this morning.

6. Stay overnight at a Bed & Breakfast Inn. This will have to go to the next list. Doesn't look like we'll be doing this before my birthday.

7. Read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "War and Peace". - Ugh. Why did I put that on my list? I might do it, might not.

8. Check my voice mail every time I see the light on – and keep my cell phone charged. - I'm keeping my cell phone charged and with Milo 's continued encouragement, I'm doing better with the voice mail.

9. Do one Random Act of Kindness every day. - I did this faithfully for a while but have slipped...

10. Go to movies more often. - I have done this. There was nothing to see there, though! Iron Man was good, as were some of the others, but ya'll, most of the movies out there give me the creeps! We went to see Hancock and The Dark Knight, not on the same night, but one week apart, and I'm thinking, "What in the world?!?!?"

11. Get an anti-aging facial. - I had an anti-aging facial done at a spa. That was fun. NOT! Seaweed rubbed on your face by a strange woman, laying there with nothing but a robe and a sheet (I asked for 2!) pulled over me...EEEK!

12. Send a message in a bottle. - We are going to the beach soon so I'll do this! We're just riding down for the day.

13. Visit Square Books in Oxford, MS. This will have to go to the next list. Doesn't look like we'll be doing this before my birthday.

14. Be more outgoing. - I am working on this! I went to a NYE party at Harriett's and was pretty outgoing. I am making more of an effort at not being so introverted.

15. Paint the back porch swing by myself. - If it's not raining, I'll do that this weekend. I'm excited. Steve already has the paint and everything. Of course we know who will end up painting it, but I am going to try my hardest to do a good job. Really need to get this done before Nolan's birthday party!

16. Fly. Okay – at least take a train. Yeah, I was silly like that. Where did I think I was going to go?

17. Watch all 10 seasons of "Friends." Ugh. Since cleaning up my tv time, I have decided that that was not the best use of my time.

18. Choose a "life verse" from the Bible. Memorize it and remember it in all situations. Did that - it's in my side bar. I didn't use it "in all situations" last Thursday, but I have been forgiven since then, PTL.

19. Have better posture. - I practice this when I walk and when I sit. It's working!

20. Overcome my fear of elephants. - not doing very well on this. People get trampled by these evil creatures. Did you know that in Keonjhar that there are villagers living in caves because they are frightened by elephants who are destroying their huts? True. http://www.odisha.in/news/150/ARTICLE/1371/2007-09-01.html

21. Have more self confidence and be comfortable being me - let the Real Laurie shine through! - I am doing this! Yay, Laurie! I'm more positive and less negative about myself.

22. Watch more tv. - I tried to do this. I had gone through a spell where all I did was read or watch Fox News. I decided I needed to spend less time reading and more time watching TV. Until I saw what was on tv. I got hooked on CSI and Lifetime movies and became desensitized to alot of the things that should have shocked the fool out of me. Now I stick to Law & Order, and the Hallmark Channel. Matlock, Murder She Wrote, Perry Mason, McBride, Jane Doe, I love those kind of mysteries!

23. Read every book on my bookshelf and take the ones I can bear to part with, after reading them, of course, to Gateway. Oh how I cried when I did this. It was like giving away my best friend! Steve tried to make me feel better, though.

24. Take an online class – something for enrichment and fun. Didn't do this. Found WOW Gals online and blogging and a grandson was born. Who has the time for education now, LOL?

25. Visit Graceland - Steve and I did this! It was so fun.

26. Eat healthier. - Ummm....Er......

27. Visit the D-Day Museum in New Orleans , LA. - This will have to go to the next list. Doesn't look like we'll be doing this before my birthday.

28. Lose more weight. - 21 pounds! 100 to go.

29. Keep a list of all books I read throughout the year. Ummm...making a mental note?

30. Write in my blog more often - at least twice a week. - I do this!

31. Go on a road trip alone - just for the weekend.. Leave Friday and back Sunday p.m. - I haven't done this and probably won't before my birthday. Maybe sometime in March. I'm really not feeling the need for solitude I was feeling when I made this resolution last September. Having a new grandson and a nephew on the way will do that to ya! I would like to take an overnight trip, though, just to do like a spiritual retreat and really get alone with God.

32. Read the newspaper at least once a week. Sundays would be probably be best. - I haven't done this but plan to start.

33. Be a better wife. - I hope I'm doing this!

34. Spend more time in prayer daily. I used to only pray at night and in the morning, but have learned to maintain prayer with God throughout the day. It's nice to stay in communication with Him.

35. Send one card a week to someone just to let them know I'm thinking of them. - The best laid plans of mice and men...

36. Do more crossword puzzles. - I have done this.

37. Work in some kind of homeless shelter or women's shelter for a weekend or three. Community service, in other words. I have never done anything like that as an adult and I think I'd find it rewarding. - I haven't done this but would love to.


7 comments:

Denise said...

I enjoyed your list, good luck sweetie.

Darlene said...

This is a great idea. I may have to try this sometime. I enjoyed reading your list.
Blessings,
Darlene

Denise said...

Oh my gosh! I would try this but I would have to do 61 and I am tooooooooo tired ! hahahahha It is a great list and you can look back on that next year and see how much you have grown! It is a great list!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic list...interesting you mention classes...have to send you an email about some you maybe interested in.

Tracy said...

What a fun read and what a great idea! I'll have to do that, too...not sure if I'll post it, but I love the idea of making a list. = ) Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Tracy

Susan said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

What a neat idea!! Enjoyed reading your list.

Hey,let me know when you are heading to New Orleans, maybe we can meet up for dinner!!

We did a horse and buggy ride in Charleston, oh my, it was so much FUN!!

Blessings♥

Melanie said...

Hey, Laurie Ann, I love this idea! I've already passed my birthday for this year but may try to do something similar next year. Good luck on those items you're still hoping to accomplish by September. You've got my support!