Friday, August 15, 2008

Who are some of your favorite "self-help" authors and speakers?

Paul was such a great encourager to young Timothy. As Paul prepared to die, he left some final instructions for Pastor Timothy. He knew the culture of the day was going cause many to be headed away from wanting to hear the gospel of God, the true conviction story of sin and redemption, and would be moving toward a new age.

I'm concerned that new age has dawned in our society. Which messages would you like to hear?

Develop Your Potential vs. Develop a Relationship With God

The Secret to Financial Prosperity vs. Lessons in Giving: A Widow's Mite

Encourage Yourself vs. Serve as Jesus Served

Your Time is Coming vs. Christ's Return - How Not to be Left
Behind

Expect Good Things for Yourself vs. Loving Others as God Loves Them

I'm not a preacher so I could have done better on the sermon titles, but my heart is just heavy over seeing the vision that Paul had come to pass in this world. When I go to church, I want to go to hear the Word (the meat and potatoes), not a motivational speech (dessert). I could go to a conference and get that! I did, not too long ago, and loved it. Now I'm wondering if the too much of a good thing, the dessert, could cause me to stumble. I don't want to do that, so I think I'll lay off on watching him.


"In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry." ~ 1 Timothy 4:1-5

I am all about bettering myself - as long as it's for God's glory and service. I love to read books on how to become a better me by authors who have sound biblical knowledge and teach the true gospel of Christ.

It dawned on me the other day that one who I thought was one of my favorites to watch on television has never preached a sermon that ended with an invitation to know Christ! It may after the show itself ends, but not on television.

Who are some of your favorites to watch, read or listen to?

Some that I know are real are:

Charles Stanley

Lysa TerKeurst and other authors of the Proverbs 31 Ministry

Charles Swindoll

Stormie Omartian

Greg Laurie

Elizabeth George

Who are some of your favorite Christian authors and speakers? I don't want "prosperity gospel", I want "Jesus gospel", if that makes sense.

Wolves in Sheeps Clothing

Sometimes it's just hard to know, so I appreciate your input!


6 comments:

Susan said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

This was so good, and so true. Movtivation is nice, but we only change and grow from reading the WORD!!

Some of my favorites are (by the way I loved all the ones you mentioned!) are:

Kay Arthur, (a true WOMEN OF THE WORD!!)

Elizabeth Elliot

Beth Moore (of course!)

I've just discovered Alicia Chole, (simply incredible!)

Nancy Leigh DeMoss

CS Lewis, Tozer, & Watchmen Nee.

Hope you have a great weekend♥

Denise said...

Great Post.....How true... We must be so careful not to fall into having our ears tickled... We must always head toward the table with the meat! I listen to

Charles Stanley

Charles Swindoll

I read :

CS Lewis

Kay Arthur

I read a LOT of Max Lucado ... I love his books.....

The there is the bible..... How I love the word of God. I love to study....... If you like on line study tools go to

http://www.blueletterbible.org/index.html

They have great on line tools as well as some great bible studies....

Blessings girl.... great post...

Addicted to Beadz said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

I agree with the above, too!

Hope you have a great weekend!

I still need to give you my Bible list!

Blessing my friend,
Cheryl

Denise said...

These was really good sweetie. I love all the ones that you listed, plus Beth Moore, Kay Arthur, Charles Swindoll,CS Lewis.

Anonymous said...

LOL...I think everyone has stated my favorites.

Great post Laurie and it's frightening with all the "new ageness" that is coming to pass and seeing it trickle into the church itself.

For me...I enjoy reading:
First and foremost, THE BIBLE
Charles Swindoll
Charles Stanley
Max Lucado
Tozer
I am just now discovering Beth Moore and C.S. Lewis
Elizabeth Elliot

Anonymous said...

I love this question! I am an avid reader, and have a stronger than usual dislike for what I call "fluff christianity." I want meat; I want to be challenged; I want to be pushed to look at things differently. I want to grow! So, here is my list, but it certainly does not cover them all!

Beth Moore
Watchman Nee
Nancy Leigh DeMoss
Jennifer Rothschild
Max Lucado
Jan Coleman
Lysa TerKuest
Tozer
Charles Spurgeon
C.S.Lewis
Sheila Walsh
Joni Eareckson Tada
George Mueller
Erwin Lutzer
Mark Buchanan
Elizabeth George