Monday, September 15, 2008

Intro - In Pursuit of Proverbs 31 Bible Study

Amy writes, "For this introduction post, I would like for everyone who intends to participate to post about it on their blog and answer the following thought provoking questions:

What do you hope to get out of this bible study?

~ I long to grow closer to God as I live my life in the way He has commanded. He's given excellent guidelines and wisdom in the Scriptures, and I hope to be a woman after His own heart. I want to be a better wife to Steve, too, of course!

What, if anything, has prevented you from studying these scriptures in the past?

~ I have studied them but this woman just seems too "perfect" to follow in many arenas!

What have you found helpful or frustrating about living out these scriptures?

I'll post the verse and then my thoughts with a ~ sign...

Proverbs 31:10-31

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

~ My self worth took a nose dive in my growing up years, and frankly sometimes I don't feel like I'm of noble character at all. I do know I am redeemed by Christ and of worth in His eyes. I find humble hope in the grace God has given me.

Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

~ My husband does have full confidence in me, but the lacking nothing part? I do tend to his needs, but do I meet them all?

She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

~ Only as I have grown closer to Christ in the last 5 years or so of a 17 year marriage. Praise God that Steve and the Lord keep no record of wrongs.

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.

~ I can't sew a button on straight, but I do know how to find someone who can.

She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.

~ Walmart is right outside the neighborhood and not to "afar" at all. We don't have a garden but we do have a fruitstand on the highway nearby. I did go 6 miles to another grocery store for a pumpkin once, though.

She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.

~ Did this when Kristyn was little. Now that the nest is empty, I sleep later. Never had a "servant girl."

She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

~ I have not made the wisest of financial decisions and I don't have a cottage industry, but I'm doing better in the finance department, if that's what this verse means.

She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.

~ Vigorously? The Proverbs 31 woman didn't have fibromyalgia or IBS or anxiety and depression. But I do the best I can and although I could probably give 20% more, my husband is okay with me in the domestic department.

She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.

~ Hmmm......I clip coupons and keep the nightlights burning in prayer.

In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

~See above, I don't sew, but I am willing to pay those who do.

She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.

~ This I do.

When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

~ I'm okay in this area, I think. I am always prepared! Except for Hurricane Katrina, but I learned from that. Kristyn never lacked good clothing, and neither does Steve. May not be designer, but it's good, clean, and pure.

She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

~ I try not to neglect my appearance or the appearance of my home. I do fall short. Sometimes I am physically unable to do things or am too tired. Sometimes I'm lazy, to be honest.

Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

~ He works outside the home and is well-liked by his colleagues and friends. He doesn't hold office. But he could! My husband is great!

She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.

~ I earn money at work and buy food from afar (Walmart), I make sure Steve is clothed. I supply the merchants with money for food. They would think me crazy if I gave them sashes; however, I have given the Walmart greeter a bookmark with a pretty verse on it before, just because she's always so nice to me.

She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

~ I do not hang out and party like a wild woman. I'm sure God will provide for me in the future. I do worry about things like aging parents, my bonus-daughter, son-in-law and their children, but not in a pace the floor kind of way - more of a concerned kind of worry. I wouldn't say I can laugh at the days to come, though. While I know everything is in God's control, there are things I still am concerned over.

She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
~ Me? Not so much. I stammer and stutter and although I pray for God to guide me in my wisdom and instruction to others, I feel so "small".

She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
~ I do watch over the affairs of the house; however, I'm idle on Crime Time Sunday on Hallmark and with the nest empty there's just not as much to do! I have more time to read. But I could do more around the house.

Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."

~ They do, and I am so undeserving.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

~ I fear the Lord. Don't praise me, though, praise God!

Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

~ The only reward I seek is that my family is provided for, they are comfortable, and that all glory be given to God for anything I say or do. I would much rather someone else be praised rather than me.

I'm excited to start this study! I look forward to it. Care to join in? Visit http://www.inpursuitofproverbs31.com/ and sign up!

3 comments:

hsmomma said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am looking forward to this study. I loved your post and how you broke it down verse by verse.

Amico Dio said...

Ha! Can I just say how much I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED your answers. You soooo sound like me! This study is going to be great. I can't wait to see what God has in store for us!

a Knitting Junkie! said...

First, let me say that I am loving your blog and plan to follow you. Also, I just found the link to this site a few days ago and plan on joining in myself. I too want to draw closer to God as well as becoming a better wife and mother. I have always felt that I never quite measure up to the Proverbs 31 woman...no matter how hard I try. I hope that this will be an enlightening, inspirational and effective study for all of us.
God bless...Anita