Thursday, September 25, 2008


Iris, the hostess of Thankful Thursday, has chosen change for this week's theme. (Happy early Birthday, Iris!)

“We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.”~ Romans 6:4 (ESV ~ emphasis Iris')

There are many changes I've gone through in my life, and I haven't always been thankful for them, especially during the process. Change can be difficult, but it's often necessary. It's essential to growth in many aspects, and it pushes us toward transformation. Think of the caterpillar. What if he always stayed a caterpillar of didn't ever come out of his cocoon? He would never morph into the beautiful butterfly he was destined to be.

Like the caterpillar, we have to embrace change, and one change I am so glad I embraced is making Christ my personal Savior and Lord. Walking in the newness of life is awesome. I see things in a brighter and more colorful way. I seek His counsel, I study His Word, I love drawing near to Him in prayer, and I enjoy living my faith for His glory.

Another change we'll be embracing, if we believe in Christ, is His return.

"Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality." ~ 1 Corinthians 15:51-53 (emphasis mine)

I don't know about you, but that's one change I'm so looking forward to. I'm so excited to know that I will receive a new body, a resurrected body. For someone with chronic illnesses, believe me, I'm ready! Not only for a new body, but to change homes. Go from this present earth home to Heaven. Spending eternity worshiping God. That's a change I could get used to. Here on earth we can get so entrapped by the business of our lives that we have to pick and choose when to worship God. I have a feeling in Heaven we won't have to schedule our quiet times or devotion to Him. Exciting changes are coming, my friend. Perhaps ours will be the generation to see His return. I hope so.

Father, I thank you for the changes you've brought my way in life. You've given me so much and taken away as well. It has all worked out to Your glory. I thank you for my husband and his precious daughter. Thank You for the privelege of being her bonus mom, and that she overcame so much in her life and went on to marry and have a healthy son and one more on the way. Thank You for my extended family and the changes they've gone through regarding health, age, giving new children to the family, and much more. Bless them and keep them, Lord. Thank You so much for Steve. He is my earthly rock and I love him so much. Thank You, Lord, for the work I have outside the home. It keeps me busy, but not so much that I don't have time for a life. Thank You so much for my friends. They bless my heart. Thank You, Father, that one day You will call us home and we will be changed in the twinkling of an eye, forever to worship You. May it be in my generation, Lord. I would love to see Your coming! I pray that You would use me to reach more people for You, sharing the story of the gospel with them as I have the opportunity. It's not one of my strong suits, but Lord, I'm willing to change. If You'll help me, that is. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Please visit Iris for more Thankful Thursday posts. You will be blessed, indeed! I love this day!

13 comments:

Power Up Love said...

Would you please consider writing and sharing your story, struggles, or testimonies to be posted on www.PowerUpLove.com? There are other people going through the same sort of things. It encourages others to hear when other people have the same desires, same disappointments, and same struggles.

We don’t rejoice in other people’s struggles or anything, but we rejoice in the fact that we’re not alone in carrying our burdens. We’re uplifted when we know someone is praying specifically re: particular areas in our life, just as they are encouraged knowing we’re praying for them. My heart aches when I see and realize that if I cry when my friends cry, hurt when they hurt, and I’m human…imagine how God responds to us when we’re hurting and we turn to Him for solace.

“And we know that all things God works for the good of those who love him who have been called according to his purpose.” – Romans 8:28

LauraLee Shaw said...

What a beautiful post. I look forward to being changed eternally too. What a day of rejoicing that will be!!!!

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

I loved when you said...another change we must embrace is Christ's return! Praise the Lord, sweet sister, how I long for that day!

Beautiful TT post. I always enjoy reading your post.

Blessings to you, sweet sister.

Beth K. Vogt said...

Thank you for not only thinking about being thankful for now--but for the future and the change we will experience when Christ returns.
Bless you, friend.
Beth@TheAccidentalPharisee

Melanie said...

Wow.. a beautiful post, Laurie Ann! I loved the thought you had of no longer having to "schedule" time for devotions and quiet time with the Lord once we go to heaven. :)

Happy Thankful Thursday!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful prayer of thanks :) I always look forward to the insight in your posts Laurie, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I am also looking forward to my resurrection body! and the beautiful reunion with my first daughter. I can't think of heaven without thinking of her. can't wait for that reunion!

Thanks so much for sharing your heart, Laurie Ann! You are a blessing!

Darlene said...

I too look forward to the change when Christ comes.
I love the way you put "change" into words. Makes it seem easier.
I am trying to embrace all the changes in my life. I just wish they didn't happen all at once. Maybe then it would be easier embrace.
Thanks for your encouragement and for sharing your heart!
Have a fabulous week!
Darlene

Anonymous said...

I hope I see a butterfly today and I'll think of change!

Peggy said...

Awesome Laurie Ann...a wonderfully written and thought out TT on Change!

However your attitude of gratitude is not changed...it's beautiful and also an uplifting & thankful prayer with anticipation of the 2nd coming! From a caterpillar to a butterfly to Christ Jesus coming back, how much more could one person pack in a TT!!!

Thank you Laurie Ann! May God bless you as you continue to bless us & others. I did not see you visiting Chris Tomlin!!!

Susan said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

Another GREAT post!! Thanks for blessing us today with your insights.

I love the reminder of our future change, oh yes, what a day that will be!

Blessings to you my friend~

Unknown said...

Oh what a day that will be - a long awaited change! Thank you for sharing such beautiful thoughts!

Nancie said...

Very encouraging post! Change can indeed be very difficult but necessary as God transform us to be what He wants us to be. I am also looking forward to the day that God will change this earthly body into one that can spend eternity worshiping Him! What a blessed hope! Thanks for sharing with us, Laurie Ann. Take care and may God grant you a very blessed weekend!