Wednesday, September 10, 2008





One WFW, I began a Fruit of the Spirit theme. My first post started with the verse, and each week I have been led to post one on each fruit. I have posted on love, joy , peace, patience and kindness. This week's fruit is goodness.



The greek word for goodness in Galatians 5:22-23 is agathosune. It means uprightness of heart and life, goodness, kindness. (Doesn't this tree at Rocky Springs just look "upright"?) Agothosune is used by Paul 4 times in the New Testament.

"And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another." ~ Romans 15:14

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith," ~ Galatians 5:22


"(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)" ~ Ephesians 5:9

"Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:" ~ 2 Thessalonians 1:11



I love the definition "uprightness of heart and life." I think it so well defines goodness, beginning on the inside with the heart and working outward into life. The Psalmist knew that God desired goodness for him and for us. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." ~ Psalm 23:6

Just as we receive goodness from God, it should be a fruit of the Spirit that we bear in our lives to others. How do we live this out?

G - Genuine concern for others drives us to do good for them. "Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others." ~ 1 Corinthians 10:24

O - Obedience to His commands to do good to others, putting others above ourselves, benefits not only the recipient of our goodness but us as well. "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." ~ Galatians 6:9-10

O - Order your steps and remember Whose you are. Remind yourself to "do good". "Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it." ~ Psalm 34:14; "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." ~ Ephesians 2:10

D - Don't discriminate against whom to do good to. It's easy to do good to those who do good to us, but we should do good even when we are wronged by others. "So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good." ~ 1 Peter 4:19
Sorry I was so late in posting. I had to literally run from my office Monday and haven't been back home until today. My father had some heart problems, but all is well now. I'll share more about that for Thankful Thursday. In th meantime, visit Amydeanne, the hostess of WFW! You will be blessed.

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Blessings Laurie Ann...A Word Filled Wednesday is never too late, some us continuing reading them into TT!!! And when it's so full of GOODNESS! What a blessing to read your verse...followed by added verses and a GREAT acronym once more...I, too love the definition you gave:uprightness of heart and life! Thank you for sharing another fruit of the spirit with an aMazing
graphic, verses and lesson! I especially loved GENUINE concern for others!!! Hope you get a bit of a break!Praying thru these storms!

Denise said...

You have so much goodness pouring out of you my friend. I love you.

LauraLee Shaw said...

What a beautiful idea, and I feel filled with His goodness now. Love these verses.

Denise said...

Great word girl....and it is never too late to post a wonderful lesson as this....... Hope thing slow down for you this week...... I have not been around for a while and need to read a catch up on a lot of blogs.. Hope you are enjoying this wonderful September weather........

Melanie said...

Your goodness shines thru in this post.

So glad to hear all is well with your father.

Happy WFW!

Alexis said...

Glad you were able to get a post up! Some of us noticed you were missing! I love your words about GOODNESS... how appropriate! Thank you so much for sharing this week, and I hope the rest of your week goes smoothly for you.