Wednesday, August 20, 2008













One WFW, I began a Fruit of the Spirit theme. My first post started with the verse, and each week I have been led to post one on each fruit. I have posted on love, joy and peace. This week's fruit is patience.

All my life I was told not to pray for patience, because if I did, then God would give me something to be patient about. Now that I think back on it, I find it funny. If we prayed for rain, would God send a hurricane? If we prayed for just enough to get through to the end of the month, would a man show up at our door with a bill we owed from 54 years ago, demanding payment now? It could happen but it's not likely. That's not my God. I cannot imagine that God would "teach us a lesson" just praying for patience. After all, it's a fruit of the Spirit! That means it's a good thing to have!

I looked up patience in the and found that it's original greek word is "makroqumiva" and learned that it's a compound word, made by combining the word "makro", which means long, and "thumia", which means anger.


Patience is a hard fruit to cultivate, not only in a world of instant gratification, but also in a world where we may be or feel like we are wronged on a daily basis.

We have a wonderful Model of patience, though.

"But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." ~ Psalm 86:15
God is patient toward us, and He expects the same from us. We are instructed in Colossians 3:12-13 - "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."
How has God been slow to anger and abounding in love and faithfulness in your life? I know in my own, just merely waiting for me to come to salvation.

How do you see God being patient in this world we live in? Our nation still lives under His blessing of prosperity and He hasn't sent another flood like He did in the days of Noah to make a clean start. That's a good sign!

Finally, how can you clothe yourself in patience when you're walking your walk for Christ?

I read somewhere that patience absorbs irritants without letting them paralyze you. I love that statement!

LIFE Statement's for a More Patient You and Me


L - Love God's people. See them through His eyes as the same child of God you are. Is there a problem that you just don't see a short-term answer to? Love the people dealing with the problem, whether it's your spouse or someone who may owe you money. Pray for them and ask God for a fresh vision of them. Try to love that dog that barks incessantly all night long and find out if he's neglected. Love the one who cuts you off in traffic, take the opportunity to pray for their attitude. The people they go home to will appreciate it!


I - Ignore the need for instant gratification or a feeling of "im"patience that may crop up when you're faced a pressing issue. That's a whole lot easier said than done, but we should try our hardest to walk by faith and not emotion.


F - Feast on God's Word. Read your Bible daily and spend time in prayer with God regarding His Word. He will give you patience to endure the things that are coming up that day, perhaps through something you read in a letter from Paul or from the Psalmist.


E -Evaluate the issues at hand. Consider what others may be going own in their own lives when they cut you off in traffic, step ahead of you in line, or are slow in responding to you. We had a rude waitress the other night and she took her time doing everything. My first instinct was not to tip her. Instead, I said, "Are you not feeling well tonight?" It was as if I had said, "Pull up a chair and tell me your life story!" She unloaded about the stressful day she had and it really put some perspective on why she behaved the way she did. If I had done that sooner rather than later, we'd have had a lot better service sooner! Also, if it's a case of waiting on something you need, do you really need it or desire it? If it's a true need, trust God for the outcome. If it's a desire, pray for God to show you clearly how you should proceed.



Please visit Amydeanne, the host of WFW, to receive a wonderful Wednesday blessing!






16 comments:

Denise said...

I enjoyed this sweetie, bless you.

Tiffanie Lloyd said...

Patience is what I find I need to learn (and relearn the most). Thanks for sharing this morning. I'm glad I stopped by.

Kristi said...

Blessings to you!

Tracy said...

Wow! I pray with you for more patience and humility. What great insights today. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Tracy

Melanie said...

Great post, Laurie Ann! Patience is something I've always wanted but struggle with so very much. I'll join with you in praying for patience.

Happy WFW!

Darlene said...

I too have always been told not to pray for patience. I have never thought of it in this way. Thanks for the encouragement. I am seeing this in a new way!

Sweet Blessings,
Darlene

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

I've heard that too and be careful what you pray for also. :-)
It's good that you like to think more positively.

Peggy said...

Blessings Laurie Ann...I heard the same and boy do I need patience
...my entire life...so God better hurry up now before I die needing patience...to live! I enjoyed all your gems of personal wisdom and the filing of His Word you chose!
I'm going to try applying your LIFE statement for a more patient ME...but I think I've done them all. This was so Brillante! That's why you received the award but neiter of us have more patience.
(I think I have to get rid of some hidden angers still)Thank you and bless you for your touching visit and special words! Enjoy a Wonderful Wednesday!

Nancie said...

Thanks, Laurie Ann, for this very encouraging post! This verse is so precious. I love the LIFE you shared. It helps me to learn how to be more patience and to reflect Christ's love in difficult situations. Thanks for sharing with us. Take care and God bless you!

Addicted to Beadz said...

Laurie Ann,

Isn't it sad that we all want patience, but it seems harder to come by. Why is that? Is it the world we live in? Is it our selfish nature? Something to think about.

Thank you for sharing!

Blessings!
Cheryl

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Yes, growth comes through patience and trials, but it's not easy.

Anonymous said...

this is just such a wonderful verse...I have been thinking of it often over the last few weeks and then surprise here it is! Thank you for sharing this.

Blessings.

Amydeanne said...

i always appreciate your insight into verses Laurie! :) Thanks so much for your continual fixation on the Lord. It really makes a difference!

Anonymous said...

Patience is definitely something I need to learn and working on.

I love the imagery and great post!

Leaon Mary said...

Ooooh Laurie,
I Love this. Incredible. Patience is one of my favorite WORDS. It was the one thing my ANGEL MOTHER told me was the one thing it took her WHOLE life to learn... and she told me, "Learn Patience." I know it was anointed.
Lea

Rebecca said...

Thank you for pointing out what a twisted truth this is, "Don't pray for patience...." What a great way to keep us all from living in this fruit, then to NOT pray for it.

Thank you for your kind words today. It's true that sometimes words are inadequate in many ways, but they do hold the power to encourage, as you did today.