Thursday, February 05, 2009


Changes - Thankful Thursday



I love the theme Iris, the hostess of Thankful Thursday, chose for today! God has worked mightily in her life. Please be sure to visit her blog by clicking on the button above and link up, posting your own Thankful Thursday post.

Changes are all around us. Every day we go through some sort of change in our lives. Below are a few changes I'm grateful for that have taken place in me lately.

Mind

I am becoming more and more conscious of what I allow into my mind. What my ears hear and eyes see goes into my mind, burning visual images there. It has really changed the shows I watch on television, the books I read and even the conversations that I have, both personally and through emails.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." ~ Romans 12:2 (ESV)

I love the word renewal. The Greek word is anakainōsis and means:

1) a renewal, renovation, complete change for the better

Each day I invite Him to transform my mind, changing it for the better; for His glory, not my own.

Heart

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." ~ Psalm 51:10 (ESV)

This is a prayer I pray every night and day. God has been so faithful to to clease my heart from sin and renew a spirit within me that desires to do right. The Hebrew word for right here is kuwn. This word means:

1) to be firm, be stable, be established
a) (Niphal)
1) to be set up, be established, be fixed
a) to be firmly established
b) to be established, be stable, be secure, be enduring
c) to be fixed, be securely determined
2) to be directed aright, be fixed aright, be steadfast (moral sense)
3) to prepare, be ready
4) to be prepared, be arranged, be settled
b) (Hiphil)
1) to establish, set up, accomplish, do, make firm
2) to fix, make ready, prepare, provide, provide for, furnish
3) to direct toward (moral sense)
4) to arrange, order
c) (Hophal)
1) to be established, be fastened
2) to be prepared, be ready
d) (Polel)
1) to set up, establish
2) to constitute, make
3) to fix
4) to direct
e) (Pulal) to be established, be prepared
f) (Hithpolel) to be established, be restored

Who wouldn't desire these things for their heart? I pray that God would establish and prepare my heart, restoring it and fixing it, directing it and fixing it determinedly to resist any temptation to sin. And when I fail, He is so faithful to forgive me when I confess my sins.

Body

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (ESV)

I'm learning how important it is to care for this body that God has given me. While I know I won't have it forever, that one day I will have a resurrected body, while I am on earth I should glorify God with my body.

The Greek word for glorify is doxazō. This word means:

1) to think, suppose, be of opinion
2) to praise, extol, magnify, celebrate
3) to honour, do honour to, hold in honour
4) to make glorious, adorn with lustre, clothe with splendour
a) to impart glory to something, render it excellent
b) to make renowned, render illustrious
1) to cause the dignity and worth of some person or thing to become manifest and acknowledged

I have a long way to go in this area but am working toward making some changes in my lifestyle so that my body will honor God. This will also help me bear the fruit of self-control. Who says change is easy? Not me! But I'm thankful for God's Word and knowing that He is faithful to help me do the things I need to in order to glorify Him in the ways mentioned above while in my present body.

Soul

"For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,for my hope is from him." ~ Psalm 62:5 (ESV)

I'm learning to really slow down and wait in silence before God as I pray. This is a huge change for a chatty kathy like me! I used to pray and just jump right up or move right in to Bible study. Now I pause. I also catch myself listening during the day, even when I'm not praying.

The Hebrew word for wait is damam. It means:

1) to be silent, be still, wait, be dumb, grow dumb
a) (Qal)
1) to be silent
2) to be still, die
3) to be struck dumb
b) (Niphal) to be silenced, be made silent, destroyed
c) (Poal) to make quiet
d) (Hiphil) to make silent (cause to die)

This change of being silent before the Lord is challenging but rewarding. In the stillness I have found that my hope is often fulfilled. The answers come, mostly through peace for the issue I'm praying about or the matters of my heart, mind and body that I haven't even yet prayed about.

What are some changes you are thankful for this week? Change impacts our life in so many ways, and even though we might be resistant to some of them, I often find they are challenging and stretch me for the better. I still have such a long way to go on this journey of change in my life, but it's one I'm looking forward to! Want to go with me?

C - Call on God for help in making the changes you need to make. "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." ~ Psalm 51:10 (NIV)

H - Have a willing spirit toward the changes God plans for you. "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" ~ Isaiah 6:8 (NIV)

A - Actively look for God's strength and will for your life. Sometimes change occurs when you seek Him. "Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always." ~ Psalm 105:4 (NIV)

N - Never fear God's changes for you. "Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you." ~ Psalm 9:10 (NIV)

G - Give yourself completely to God to mold and change. "Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand." ~ Isaiah 64:8 (NIV)

E - Exercise faith and love in making or embracing change. "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love." ~ 1 Corinthians 16:13-14 (NIV)

Father, thank You for being the Author of good changes in my life. Help me willingly give my mind, heart, body and soul over to You to mold and change for my good and Your glory. Help me not to resist the changes You have in mind for me but to be open and willing to serve. As I encourage others, Lord, may I be a light that shines brightly for You, and may You shine through me so that others see all You and not even me at all. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Photobucket

26 comments:

Denise said...

Such a wonderful post my friend, love you.

LAURIE said...

Sometimes we do not welcome change but in reality is a way for God to work in our lifes and create in us opportunities to stretch ourselves and to stretch our faith possibly. Great TT post. -Blessings, Laurie

Jennifer said...

Change is so painful sometimes and hard to welcome but when we allow God to change us into His image...the rewards are full of freedom in Him, joy...unspeakable and full of glory!!!

I don't like change personally in my life but I have learned to welcome the changes that God desires in my life.

Love you!

Happy TT!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I'm still waiting for the devotional book to come out my friend! LOL. Don't make me copy and paste all of these. I always have the urge to highlight my computer screen when I read your posts!!! Hee! Hee!
Love you sister.
Kim

He & Me + 3 said...

LOved this post...I am working hard at mind, heart and soul...it's that silly body that needs a little attention. Sometimes seems less important.

Tammy said...

Changes - they are so difficult sometimes but I guess that is why the Word refers to us as clay...we need to be flexible as the Lord works to rearrange and change us...thank you for sharing!

Melanie said...

Change is HARD! How thankful I am that we have the Lord to walk the roads of change with us.

Happy Thankful Thursday, my friend!

Grammy said...

Your post is amazing. You are truly blessed with words.

bp said...

That word renewal goes right along with change so perfectly. Thanks for sharing the verses too.

Angela said...

Oh my goodness gracious!! What a POWERFUL devotional. I can ditto everything you wrote. Your entire list is truly my heart's desire also. My cry to our Lord and Savior...Change me, change me Lord! Isaia 43:19,,amen amen amen..God definitely has been doing this in my family's life and mine these last few months. All glory to the King of kings and the Lord of lords...

Carla said...

As usual, your Thankful Thursday is AWESOME!!! I love the first verse, bloom where you are planted!!! God will do the rest! Have a wonderful day, and expect BIG things:)

Jerralea said...

Awesome TT post, Laurie Ann! I started to use Isaiah 43:19 also but then went a different direction. You used some awesome scripture and really challenged me. (Especially in the area of change in the body ...)

na said...

Changes are hard...but good too! Great post!

Janet Benlien Reeves said...

Such an insightful post--and I love the picture, too. Thank you!

Unknown said...

What a great post, Laurie! So thoughtful and thought provoking. Thank you for sharing!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Amen my friend! May we look to Him to help us make changes in our life. We can't do it without His help. Thank you for the reminder!

Happy TT!

MrsBumppo said...

Wonderful post!

And thank you for the comment on my blog!

Gina~

Marsha said...

The change of being silent before Him. Oh Laurie Ann, I'm going through the same thing. I'm a talker whether it's before the Lord or others. This has been a hard change for me, yet so rewarding.

Once again, I LOVE your acrostic.

Thank you again for your prayers for my family. They are much appreciated.

Have a blessed weekend.

Lindsey said...

Wow! Thanks for making me think today :-) - happy Thankful Thursday!

Sweet Blessings said...

Love those verses! I am so thankful for the changes in my life and thankful to go through them with you:) Blessings to you! Amanda:)

Toia said...

This may sound weird, but I love change. However, the things I most desire to change has not change. I am always praying for an opportunity where change can happen, but nothing..yet. I am trying my best to be patient. Thanks so much for this post. Blessings to you!!

Anonymous said...

great post. i so love the things you wrote here. thanks for sharing.

god bless.

thanks for dropping by my TT!

Up Close said...

Hello,... thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. God is indeed good and faithful.
May we His children seek Him more.
Happy weekends.

Anonymous said...

i love the thought you have about your body.

thanks for dropping by my TT.

DeeDee said...

Beautiful post Laurie Ann -
love the prayer at the end too.!
Sweet Blessings,
DeeDee

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann,

This post is excellent. Wow, I can see you spent some considerable time and effort on it all. What a blessing to me this evening as I am finally getting around to the TT posts.

You know, when I grow up... I want to be like you. Love you so very much. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, me