Tuesday, February 24, 2009

IOWT - The Joy of Salvation

Today's In "Other" Words Tuesdays is hosted by Michelle at Because I Love You - A Life Lived Out Before the Lord. She has given us a great quote to ponder and write on.
“Is it possible we could experience the joy of our salvation if we mourned [over our sin] as if someone had died? We cannot experience joy without mourning.” - by Pastor Robert Morris, from Sermon: “Those who mourn are happy”

The very word salvation implies that we are saved from something. It's a very important word in the Bible. It is used 120 times in the NIV Bible, 158 times in the KJV.
"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation." ~ Psalm 13:5 (NIV)

The Hebrew word for salvation used here is yĕshuw`ah and means:

1) salvation, deliverance
a) welfare, prosperity
b) deliverance
c) salvation (by God)
d) victory

In the Old Testament, the Psalmist rejoiced in the deliverance, welfare, and victory the Lord had been so loving to give him. God led the Psalmist, and many more to be sure, to victory and even righteousness obtained through faith, as we learn in Hebrews 11.

The Psalmist mourned greatly over the sin that was before him. Regarding his sinful ways he said:

"I am bowed down and brought very low; all day long I go about mourning." ~ Psalm 38:6 (NIV)

The Hebrew word for mourning is qadar. This verb means:

1) to mourn, be dark
a) (Qal) to be dark
b) (Hiphil)
1) to darken
2) to cause to mourn
c) (Hithpael) to grow dark

It is in this mourning that he found joy in the salvation that came from the Lord, I believe. He knew the Lord provided salvation to all who call on His Holy Name.

In the New Testament, we learn of another salvation - the salvation that comes through confession of sin and belief in Jesus Christ our Lord. Surely we are to feel sorrow and mourn over our sins, but in a Godly way, not a worldly way.

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death." ~ 2 Corinthians 7:10 (NIV)

How can we rejoice when we have not mourned? How can we be made perfect when we were not imperfect to begin with? We cannot. In the Sermon on the Mount Christ said:

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." ~ Matthew 5:4 (NIV)

The Greek word for comforted is parakaleō. It means:

1) to call to one's side, call for, summon
2) to address, speak to, (call to, call upon), which may be done in the way of exhortation, entreaty, comfort, instruction, etc.
a) to admonish, exhort
b) to beg, entreat, beseech
1) to strive to appease by entreaty
c) to console, to encourage and strengthen by consolation, to comfort
1) to receive consolation, be comforted
d) to encourage, strengthen
e) exhorting and comforting and encouraging
f) to instruct, teach

Christ has comforted us in our sin. We, who were once dead in our trespasses, are made alive in Christ.
"When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross." ~ Colossians 2:13-14 (NIV)
We can rejoice in the salvation that comes from the grace of our Lord and know that He remembers our sins no more.

How can we rejoice in the salvation for the sin we once mourned for? We have comfort from God in this promise.
"as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." ~ Psalm 103:12 (NIV)

We have peace and joy that comes from knowing we have been reconciled to Christ. In mourning our past sins we find the how deep God's grace and mercy for us are, but we need not keep mourning. We have been reconciled, redeemed, renewed.

"Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." ~ Romans 5:11 (NIV)

Today is the day to rejoice in the Lord's salvation, my friend! How can we not? Our debt for our sin was paid by our Savior and we may be sure that He wants us to rejoice.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" ~ Philippians 4:4 (NIV)

The Greek word for rejoice is chairō and means:

1) to rejoice, be glad
2) to rejoice exceedingly
3) to be well, thrive
4) in salutations, hail!
5) at the beginning of letters: to give one greeting, salute

How can we truly rejoice in our salvation?
R - Remember that Christ has set us free and the rewards that come with it. "But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life." ~ Romans 6:22 (NIV)

E - Exalt the Name that is above all Names. "that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." ~ Philippians 2:10-11 (NIV)

J - Joyfully tell others of the salvation of the Lord. "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." ~ Luke 4:18-19 (NIV)

O - Openly praise Him for the blessing of salvation. "The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him." ~ Exodus 15:2 (NIV)

I - Intentionally keep an attitude of joy and praise for your redemption. "But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful." ~ Psalm 68:3 (NIV)

C - Consistently find joy in reading His Word. "When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty." ~ Jeremiah 15:16 (NIV)
E - Erect a guard around your heart, keeping out the bad things. "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." ~ Proverbs 4:23 (NIV)

To visit more In "Other" Words Tuesdays posts, click on the button above. Be sure to link up and share your own.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Great post Laurie Ann!

Unknown said...

Oh Laurie Ann! I love your acronyms. I have not been around the IOW well in a while, but the rejoicing in my heart this morning as each of us adds a new element to the puzzle and a new mirror to reflect the glory of God in the joy of our salvation.

Blessings and thanks so much for participating. Your heart beats to the rhythm of our God.

Love you.

LAURIE said...

Reminds me of that song we sing ...

"Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice"

Great post today!

Saleslady371 said...

This post right here is why I smile so much. For years, I didn't understand the delicate balance of mourning over my transgressions and receiving God's grace. When God healed me of my low self esteem, I understood how we need both. Laurie Ann, you explain it well. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Laurie and I love how you just laid it out!

He & Me + 3 said...

So thankful that His Salvation sets me free and with Freedom comes joy! Great post!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Good Lesson here.
My husband always gives me his oral version of IOW, and his take this week was a parallel version of your post. He talked in length of the O.T. Saints and their "mourning. . . " (Especially David.) We don't take the lessons from the O.T. Saints seriously anymore. Too many Christians believe the "law" was abolished and that the O.T. is just a bunch of boring history and stories. WRONG. The whole idea of mourning carries over so beautifully into the N.T. It is enforced in the book of Romans and repeated in the Pauline Letters. If we overlook the mourning, we are seriously overlooking the whole concept of Salvation!
Excellent Post!
~esthermay

Denise said...

Fantastic post my friend.

Jennsmere said...

Amen, Laurie Ann! Until we see the depth of our sins and understand that it was our sin that led Christ to the cross, we cannot fully experience the joy of salvation. Just as Christ 'endured the cross for the JOY that was set before Him"...He endured the pain and took the suffering that was to be ours. Wow! What a Saviour!

Bless you, dear one,
Susan

Peggy said...

I TRUST IN HIS UNFAILING LOVE & MY HEART REJOICES in my SALVATION!

Bless you Laurie Ann for more great words of wisdom & choice of excellent scriptures as you walk as through His Truths in His Word!

My salvation changes my mourning to the oil of gladness which anoints me by His spirit and I am thankful
so I will R.E.J.O.I.C.E. for He is the joy of my salvation & my strength! Thank You, Lord! and thank you Laurie Ann for the time you take investing in your blog ministry & mission!