Wednesday, February 04, 2009

WFW - Earnest Prayer


One of the ways we can pray is earnestly. God promises that when we do pray earnestly that He rewards us.

We must have faith if we are going to earnestly seek Him in prayer.

The Greek word for faith here is pistis and it means:

1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
a) relating to God
1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
b) relating to Christ
1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
c) the religious beliefs of Christians
d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
2) fidelity, faithfulness
a) the character of one who can be relied on

Our faith comes through the belief that God sent His only Son Jesus to die for our sins.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." ~ John 3:16 (NIV)

Our faith is also evident in our relationship to God in the way that we pray.

"In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence." ~ Ephesians 3:12 (NIV)
Although we cannot see Him, we trust Him and we know that all things come from Him.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." ~ Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)

With a strong foundation of faith in our lives, we can come before God earnestly.

In Hebrews 11:6, the Greek word for earnestly is the verb, ekzēteō. It means:

1) to seek out, search for
2) to seek out, i.e. investigate, scrutinise
3) to seek out for one's self, beg, crave
4) to demand back, require

The etymology (root word) for earnestly is as follows:

The Greek word ek means:

1) out of, from, by, away from

and

The Greek word zēteō, which means:

1) to seek in order to find
a) to seek a thing
b) to seek [in order to find out] by thinking, meditating, reasoning, to enquire into
c) to seek after, seek for, aim at, strive after
2) to seek i.e. require, demand
a) to crave, demand something from someone

When we seek out and search for God's answers in prayer, really craving and needing something from Him and expressing our petitions to Him in this way, whether for ourselves for others, we can be sure that He will hear us and reward our earnest, faith-filled prayers.

How does He reward us? While it is ultimately up to Him to decide, we may rest assured that our reward is great. Our Father pays our wages, probably in the form of answered prayer or peace regarding the issue we bring before Him. He rewarded the saints of old in so many ways. One such man was Moses. He parted a sea for His chosen people so Moses could lead them to their destination in the face of opposition!

Let's seek God earnestly in prayer for the matters that press so closely to our hearts, with the faith that He will reward us.

E - Eagerly await answers to your earnest prayers. "But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope." ~ Galatians 5:5 (NIV)

A - Anticipate answers to your prayers. "I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer." ~ Psalm 17:6 (NIV)

R - Remember that God's will is always best. "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)

N - Never be afraid to ask for anything from God. "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." ~ Hebrews 4:16 (NIV)

E - Earnestly pray on all occasions. "pray continually;" ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NIV)

S - Sacrifice time that you would normally do something else to spend time with God in earnest prayer. "So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer." ~ Ezra 8:23 (NIV)

T - Tell others about your requests so they may join you in earnestly praying. "I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me." ~ Romans 15:30 (NIV)

L - Listen for God's voice during earnest prayer. "Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!" ~ Isaiah 30:18 (NIV)

Y - Yield to the Holy Spirit when the words just won't come for prayer from an earnest heart. "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." ~ Romans 8:26 (NIV)

My dear and most gracious Heavenly Father, I thank You for the privelege of coming before You in earnest prayer. I have so much faith in the fact that You are faithful, Lord. I trust in You to provide the answers and make a way for the prayers that are so close to my heart. I pray that my faith will continue to increase in You as I see You act. Thank you so much for loving us, Lord, and sending Your Son to reconcile us to You. May we always seek Your will in every earnest prayer we pray, trusting You to provide Your best for us. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

The purpose of WFW is to share the Word of God through photo's and a verse. Amydeanne, over at The 160 Acre Woods, is our hostess. Be sure to link up and share your own, and drop her a thank you for hosting this wonderful meme each week. It always blesses my heart to read all the posts and see the photos and verses. This is a wonderful way to minister to others and to be ministered to by reading others posts. Please visit by clicking on the button below.


Photobucket

29 comments:

Denise said...

Totally awesome, you bless my soul.

He & Me + 3 said...

Beautiful...My goal for 2009 is to pray without ceasing...having faith to bring all requests before my God.
Great post!

LAURIE said...

It always amazes me the pictures each week that bring the scripture alive. Personally I have not figured out how all of you put the scripture on these pictures, but I do enjoy looking at them and meditating upon the Word.

Prayer...we are doing the Daniel Fast at our church and this year my family has put more of an emphasis on prayer than we have the forbidden foods of this fast. It has been awesome to gather my family around the dinner table and instead of eating, we feast upon His Word and we pray for others. I believe that there is power in prayer!

Have a Happy Wednesday! -love, Laurie

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

Craving Him today! Thank you for this post. Blessings to you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Great post and love that picture that you used!

Melanie said...

I love this verse, Laurie Ann! It is just the perfect description of faith. I must remember this one.

Happy WFW, my friend!

LauraLee Shaw said...

Awesome teaching, friend. To crave Him is such a powerful definition of earnestly. I have experienced these cravings when I haven't spent enough time seeking Him. I needed this reminder today. Happy WfW!

ellen b. said...

Love that image with this verse. I'm imagining myself there bringing my requests to His Courts of Praise...

Joyfull said...

Fantastic description of faith! May we always have earnest faith in Him!

GranthamLynn said...

Beautiful again! May we all earnestly seek him.
Many Blessings my sister.
Love,
Sherry

Anonymous said...

What a great message in that verse. Thanks for sharing today.

Joan said...

Great WFW and a much needed reminder. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings

Anonymous said...

I love the verses with the letters! Thank you for stopping by.

Be blessed

Michele Williams said...

I earnestly desire my Lord all the time! I earnestly and fervantly want to be in a constant attitude of prayer... God bless you for another great post.

lori said...

wonderful lesson....earnestly..that is how I feel in my pursuit...what a great one today Laurie Ann!
peace,
lori

Patty Wysong said...

Laurie Ann, that acrostic is absolutely wonderful! I'm going to print that out and tuck it in my Bible so I can remember it. Thank you!!
Blessings!

Joanne Sher said...

Beautiful verse, and such an annointed lesson. thank you.

Tammy said...

Love the word fervent...great verse and picture...blessings to you this WFW!

About Nancy said...

Great in-depth post on faith. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings!

Rebecca said...

I LOVE this picture verse!!! And I really enjoyed what you had to say. I used to think that faith meant I had to believe the situation would "work out." But I loved how your post pointed out our faith is in WHO God is.

Susannah said...

Wow, you're a thorough student of the Word... and a good teacher. Thank you for your in-depth study here.

This spoke to me in particular: Earnestly pray on all occasions. "pray continually;" ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NIV) I find myself "on my knees" more and more each day. Prayer is such a comfort!

BTW, I really like your blogskin--very attractive! Happy WFW.

Carrie said...

Your WFW post is rich with wonderful truths which I need to keep me faithful and true to my high calling. Thank you.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Thanks, Laurie Ann,
That "T" is one I need to work on, taking the time to be in the Word daily. I'm using this time looking at WFWs for my Bible reading today, but He also wants me to read from my Bible.

Great post!

God Chaser said...

Laurie Ann as always thank you- wonderfully done. Wish I had more time to spend here today- hope to get back.
You put so much time in your post. Thanks- I know God is pleased with you.

Blessings, peace, joy and love
Willnette

Peggy said...

Blessings Laurie Ann...I EARNESTLY seek Him daily but sometimes my faith is not as strong as it should be...I Trust Him but seem to wander wondering at times! I want to pray unceasingly but I need to learn to listen & lean! So I will just yield for now to His Holy Spirit!

Wonderful verse and such a great prompting of the Holy Spirit flowing through you! Thank you!
Hope you enjoyed your WFW & have a great THANKFUL THURSDAY!

Mokihana said...

Thank you for a great WFW!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Great word filled Wednesday. I don't remember reading this verse before so I'm glad I got to read it in your post. What a wonderful verse.

Susan said...

Hey Laurie,

Sorry I didn't get by yesterday.

Another incredible post. LOVE that scripture.

The key is EARNESTLY, wow, I love what you did with that word. You are so gifted!!

Blessings♥

Amydeanne said...

you know i think i've heard the first part of the verse so often, but not the last part of it often enough to put it together.. what a great statement to faith!