Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Basics

“I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations.”~ Psalm 57:9 (ESV)

The basics in life are often the very things we take for granted. I'm so thankful for God's provision of the basic things I need.

Air - How often do I stop and think how thankful I am for the air that I breathe? Not often enough. As thankful as I am to be able to breathe good air, I am reminded that my very life's breath is in the hand of God.

"In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind." ~ Job 12:10 (NIV)

Food - I'm so grateful that I do not suffer hunger. True hunger is something I have never experienced. I grew up eating food from both the garden and the grocery store. We not only had real food, but the little extra's like chocolate and snacks to eat. Tonight I'm grateful for sushi. I never thought I'd say that! I have discovered that all sushi is not raw. Tonight was date night. I had dynamite rolls (steamed shrimp and crab wrapped in a pressed seaweed and rice) and eel rolls (steamed eel with cucumber and zucchini and some other stuff wrapped the same way). I tried octupus and found it chewy and a bit fishy tasting. Fortunately we have been married almost 18 years and it didn't gross him out when I had to spit it out. I am really thankful that I have never known serious hunger. I was reading in Genesis about the famine in Egypt and how they gave their lives in slavery just for food. How sad is that? I see pictures of poverty-stricken third world countries where children are starving (and it goes on here in the USA, too, sometimes intentionally, sad to say) and it breaks my heart! I'm so thankful that a good harvest of food comes from the Lord and that we live in a land of prosperity where we do not lack nutritionally.

"Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy." ~ Acts 14:17 (NIV)

Water - I'm extremely thankful for water. It's the best and only thirst quencher for me nine times of ten. Sweet tea is made with water, too, and you know I cannot live without that! I'm so thankful for showers and baths, making me feel all clean and relaxed. Water to cook with comes right from the tap for us. We are blessed with good water. I love how God provides the water for the earth through rain and snow and even how He shows Himself off with beautiful dew on the ground and flowers. His splendor is great and His mercy in sending our water is so faithful. Sometimes it seems we get too much, other times not nearly enough, but God always provides.

"I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees of the field their fruit." ~ Leviticus 26:4 (NIV)

Shelter - I'm so thankful for a home to live in. We live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home made of brick and wood. We are comfy cozy and safe. We're warm in the winter, cool in the summer and the elements are only brought in when my dearest forgets to close the back door. (I so need a screen door on the back!) We are blessed to have lived here for over 15 years now. Kristyn was raised here from age 8 - 20. We've had many pets come and go and now the Grands play here more often than not. I love my nest and I'm so thankful for it. My home is a sanctuary to me. It's peaceful and I love it. I know that living here is nothing of my own making. God has provided for us more than we ever deserved. I think of those without a home for whatever reason and my heart breaks. Not just those with no place to live, but those without a home-home. I am blessed beyond measure and so grateful for what I have been given. More than the shelter of my home, I'm grateful for the shelter of the Almighty God. It's a shelter that cannot be shaken. No tornadoes, no hurricanes, no straightline winds or floods can shake me from His hand. Oh, what faith to have!

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." ~ Psalm 91:1 (NIV)
Clothes - You have to be thankful for that! I love the different styles of clothes and the fact that I can usually find my good friend Clarence lurking among the racks, ensuring I get good discounts. One store I love to shop at emails me coupons on a daily basis. Oh, I could go wild with that. I have comfy clothes, casual clothes and dressy clothes. No matter what I decide to wear, or if I can't seem to find that just-right outfit, I know that I'm covered in this promise from God.
"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!" ~ Luke 12:27-28 (NIV)
More than material clothes, I long to and pray that I wear these daily.
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." ~ Colossians 3:12 (NIV)

Love - Love is not one of the basics but it has been a part of the life surrounding me since I entered this world some 38 years ago. Love of family and friends sustains me and the love of my husband is awesome. After nearly 18 years of marriage I am more in love with Steve today than I was this time yesterday, and probably little bit less than I will be tomorrow. My love for him continues to increase and grow. He's a fantastic husband! I'm so grateful to have him in my life. My love for God is also growing and growing. I have always loved Him, too, but it seems lately as I pull close to Him in prayer and faith I have that feeling of contentment that can only come from knowing that the Lord loves me. He loves you, too. He's not some cruel taskmaster, waiting with a ruler behind His back to condemn you for every little thing you do. He longs to impart mercy and grace to you.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." ~ John 3:16-17 (NIV)

Yes, I'm thankful for the basics. The basics are what see me through each and every day. They include more than just what I've listed above. I could write all night and still not cover what I feel are very basic things I'm thankful for. I think the very basic things are very grand in the scheme of things, don't you?

Iris has chosen a great theme this week. The basics of life are really the biggest things we needto be thankful for. I'm so glad she hosts Thankful Thursday each week. Be sure to visit her by clicking on the button below and link up, leaving a Thankful Thursday post of your own.


Photobucket

27 comments:

LAURIE said...

Great list of basics and I am also so thankful for the basics of life that God has given us. Octopus huh? I would have spit it out too ... please promise me when Jenn and I come to visit you that we will not go to that restuarant!!! love, Laurie

Pia said...

laurie ann, i'm thankful for the same things. i thank God for providing us our basic needs. praise God!

Sweet Blessings said...

Happy Thursday to you! Praising God for the "basics" with you! Blessings, Amanda:)

Blessed Mama said...

Well said! Thanks for the reminder that our basic needs come straight from the hand of the Father!

Bless you!

Anonymous said...

oh..what a wonderful list of the basics we need and yet taken for granted most of the time.

Praise God for every basic needs that are being met and provided for :)

Denise said...

Such a great thankful list, straight from your beautiful heart.

Angela said...

POWERFUL...thank you so much for sharing your thankful thursday, for allowing us to see the goodness from God in our own lives...

Speaking from the Heart said...

Oh, how often do we take air for granted. Thank you for the reminders of our basic needs.

He & Me + 3 said...

Laurie Ann,
I think you hit the nail on the head with air and love. Wow...I never think about air...because it just is always there, & love, well...it has always been around me from my family, my heavenly Father, to my husband and now my kids. Some people don't have that...very sad. Thank you for pointing those out.
Great post.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful list of basic thankfuls, Laurie Ann! You are so right...I think about many things to be thankful for daily but air and water are seldom thought of by me. Now that I stop to think about it...we couldn't live without it and yet forget to give thanks for it. How many other things in our lives are that way?

Thanks for reminding me and challenging me to not always look so deep for things to be thankful for. Some are the simpliest things that I overlook.

Happy TT!

Sunny Shell said...

Oh precious twin sister!

I've so missed visiting with you! I'm so thankful for something "simple" and ordinary too...a time to visit with you and rejoice in our Savior, Jesus Christ together!

I love you so much!
Sunny

P.S. I don't like octopus either...blah. ♥

Tammy said...

I enjoyed reading your list of basics ~ it is always good to take time to be thankful for the "little" things in life. We are blessed!

Susanne said...

Now THAT's what I call "the basics"! Thanking God for air... yeah, that one got me. Definitely something I take for granted EVERY DAY! Thanks for this reminder. And thanks for taking time to stop by and visit. Happy TT!!

Darlene said...

Wow, these are things that I take forgranted..things that I haven't really thought about to be thankful for! I too am thankful for these same things!
Thanks for reminding me to be thankful for them!
Blessings,
Darlene

Michele Williams said...

Beautiful Thankful list! Thanks for the reminder.

Michele Williams said...

Beautiful Thankful list! Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

A great list of things so many of us have but forget to be thankful for! Thanks for your kind words on my blog!

Janet Benlien Reeves said...

Wow! Air! Yes, of course. There's so much we take for granted--including our every breath of air.

Happy Thankful Thursday!
Janet

Mary said...

Amen! Great post! We depend on God for the basics in life including our very next heartbeat. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!!

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann - Oh we are so blessed and so much to be thankful for - the basics are all we need and yet look how much more we require for joy. Sad to me and thank God He understands who we are!

Thanking God for His mercy and grace today!
Love,
Jill

Erica said...

What a wonderful "broad" look at all the basics. What a great reminder!

Bonnie said...

Oh so very true! What a great reminder - especially about "air." How often we take for granted the blessings we can't actually physically see.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Amen my friend! We have so much to be thankful for! Thanks for the great reminder!

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann,

Have I ever told you that you write the most amazing posts. You have Holy Spirit just flying from your fingers.. I am always inspired...

Girl, today, I loved this...Tonight I'm grateful for sushi. I never thought I'd say that!.... Too funny and me too!!!

Anonymous said...

again, nice TT for this week. and i am saying a prayer for your friend melly.

thanks for visiting my TT!

bp said...

This is such a wonderful TT post.
AIR! That's a great one to remember!

I'll say a prayer for your friend that you mentioned in the other post too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thankful heart and blessing my blog with your visit.

~Mrs.Cuddles