Sunday, February 01, 2009



Kim asks,
"How does is make you feel to know that God has designated you as the primary instrument to reflect His love for your spouse?"
What a question for reflection on how we are called to love our husbands!
Ephesians 5 has some great guidance for loving our husbands.
Before Paul starts his discussion on husbands and wives in verse 22, we are reminded in verse 1 to be imitators of God as Christ was. Our marriage mirrors (or should mirror) Christ and the Church.
I've written about submission in marriage before, but in answer to Kim's question, it makes me feel very humbled and priveleged. Just to know that I am called by God to reflect His love to Steve feels like a huge mantle to bear. It's not hard to love my husband. He's a great husband, father, friend and lover. But to know that I am the primary instrument of reflecting the Father's love? Kind of brings to mind doing all the excercises in the Love Dare book that accompanied the recent movie Fireproof.
I want to honor my husband and submit to him in the best ways possible. We have great guidance in Christ's example of love of the purest form.
As Steve's wife, some of the best ways I can think of to reflect God's love for Steve are by loving him as God loves him, being quick to mercy and grace in our marriage and slow to anger, submitting to him in all things, speak highly of him to others and build him up rather than tear him down, setting the example for other women to love their husbands the same way, pray for him continually, honoring him and loving him in my actions, words and deeds.
Truly it is an honor to be called by God to be that primary instrument to reflect God's love to Steve. Very humbling and a true privelege. I praise God that He has given me an easy man to love. Steve is a great guy. I really mean that. He's so kind and loving toward me that it really makes it easy to love him. Do we have our rocky moments? Um, yes, but this is not about that. I have my own rocky moments with God and He loves me, so the least I can do is reflect that same love with Steve.
L - Loving our husbands is something we're called to do.
O - Obeying them as we obey the Lord is easy when we are truly committed to each other. It is a sign of respect.
V - Verifying through God's Word that the things we do, say and think in our marriage makes it easier to act out that love.
E - Example-setting for other women is something we're called to do in Titus 2:3-5 (NIV).
Photobucket

14 comments:

LAURIE said...

Laurie Ann,
Love - it is a choice. I am so glad that God chose to love me despite my misgivings. Loving my husband: my soul mate, my best friend, the one that God gave to me to be my provider, my lover, my spiritual leader deserves to be loved with everything that I have, just as God does for me. Great post on loving our husbands. -Blessings, Laurie

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post Laurie Ann! God bless you

Amico Dio said...

I just wanted to come by and say congratulations for being one of the Internet Cafe's Top 100 Christian Women's Blogs of 2008! You are truly a blessing. Thank you for the many ways that you serve!

Denise said...

I enjoyed this dear, congrats on being one of the top 100 christian womans blogs, woo hoo.

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann,

Congrads on your award at the Cafe. You are a wonderful inspiration to me. Hugs.

He & Me + 3 said...

Yes, congrats on your blog award at the Cafe. HOw awesome your blog is.
Great Post!
XO,
Mimi

Anonymous said...

What a great post--even for me as a single woman to keep in mind!

Congrats on being one of the top 100! Blessings,

Abigail @ Pearls and Diamonds

bp said...

Such a wonderful post! We discussed this passage in class this morning.

Peggy said...

Blessings Laurie Ann & Congrats!

According to the Love Dare, LOVE is a choice! This was a beautiful look
into your LOVE & your marriage so honestly. Thank you Laurie Ann for always being REAL!

It is for this and your great teachings that you were one of my nominations...such a sweet AROMA that blesses me each visit! I'm so glad I have the privilege to know you and visit here. Keep reflecting
the love that God gives you to Steve.

I know how hard all of this
witness to our spouse is and I failed miserable, no fireproof
in my house but when you are not
spiritually yoked & in God's will
then the road is more than rough & rocky! Many lessons learned! Dare
I say, "God isn't finished with me yet!(nor my marriage partner)" I will believe & trust whatever God does. May God bless & keep your marriage & LOVE!

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

Beautiful....

and congrats my sister! ((hugs)) to you!

Marsha said...

Hi Laurie Ann,

I just wanted to come by and say congratulations! I know I am blessed each time I come by.

Be blessed!

Susan said...

Great post and CONGRATULATIONS on being nominated for the top 100 blogs!!


Thanks for being such a blessing to us all!!!

jubilee said...

Congrats on your nomination! I've enjoyed browsing through your blog.

Tracy said...

This is a beautiful post...you're so right. Love is a choice and it truly is a privilege to show and be "Christ" to our husbands.

Congratulations on being one of the Top 100! I was so happy to see you honored in this way. Well-deserved, my friend! Way to go!

Blessings,
Tracy