Friday, March 13, 2009


Friday Funnies is hosted by Kim at Homesteaders Heart. Join us in the laughter we share. Visit Kim for more Friday Funnies and be sure to link up and share your own.

Did you ever watch Saturday Night Live, back when it was fairly decent? I'm talking way back in the day? I did, and I loved the Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey segments. You have to have sort of a weird sense of humor to laugh at them. I guess I have that because some of these made me cackle this morning. Here are (more than) a few of my faves:

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said. "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.

Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward.

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.

We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Better not take a dog on the space shuttle, because if he sticks his head out when you're coming home his face might burn up.

The memories of my family outings are still a source of strength to me. I remember we'd all pile into the car - I forget what kind it was - and drive and drive. I'm not sure where we'd go, but I think there were some trees there. The smell of something was strong in the air as we played whatever sport we played. I remember a bigger, older guy we called "Dad." We'd eat some stuff, or not, and then I think we went home. I guess some things never leave you.

If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins the most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong, though. It's Hambone.

If you're a young Mafia gangster out on your first date, I bet it's real embarrassing if someone tries to kill you.

If you go parachuting, and your parachute doesn't open, and you friends are all watching you fall, I think a funny gag would be to pretend you were swimming.

Children need encouragement. If a kid gets an answer right, tell him it was a lucky guess. That way he develops a good, lucky feeling.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.

Just because swans mate for life, I don't think its that big a deal. First of all, if you're a swan, you're probably not going to find a swan that looks much better than the one you've got, so why not mate for life?

If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

I can't stand cheap people. It makes me real mad when someone says something like, "Hey, when are you going to pay me that $100 you owe me?" or "Do you have that $50 you borrowed?" Man, quit being so cheap!

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.

If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.

I think a good product would be "Baby Duck Hat". It's a fake baby duck, which you strap on top of your head. Then you go swimming underwater until you find a mommy duck and her babies, and you join them. Then, all of a sudden, you stand up out of the water and roar like Godzilla. Man, those ducks really take off! Also, Baby Duck Hat is good for parties.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Sometimes, when I lie in bed at night and look up at the stars, I think to myself, "Man! I really need to fix that roof."

If you lived in the Dark Ages and you were a catapult operator, I bet the most common question people would ask is, "Can't you make it shoot farther?" "No, I'm sorry. That's as far as it shoots."

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact.

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books.

Instead of a trap door, what about a trap window? The guy looks out it, and if he leans too far, he falls out. Wait. I guess that's like a regular window.

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were "just going down to the corner."

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don't know what your rights are, or who the person is you're talking to. Then on the way out, slam the door.

Most of the time it was probably real bad being stuck down in a dungeon. But some days, when there was a bad storm outside, you'd look out your little window and think, "Boy, I'm glad I'm not out in that."

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here's a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?

It's sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs.

Instead of having 'answers' on a math test, they should just call them 'impressions' and it you got a different 'impression' so what, can't we all be brothers?

Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.

Ambition is like a frog sitting on a Venus Flytrap. The flytrap can bite and bite, but it won't bother the frog because it only has little tiny plant teeth. But some other stuff could happen and it could be like ambition.

How come the dove gets to be the peace symbol? How about the pillow? It has more feathers than the dove, and it doesn't have that dangerous beak.

Instead of studying for finals, what about just going to the Bahamas and catching some rays? Maybe you'll flunk, but you might have flunked anyway; that's my point.

If they ever come up with a swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something.

It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.
Photobucket

19 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Oh my friend. Those were too funny. You have the best stuff!! Keep em' coming! LOL....
Happy Friday to you!
Kim

Saleslady371 said...

You never let me down, funny girl! Have a great Friday.

He & Me + 3 said...

Those were so funny. I do remember him and I remember the DisneyLand one. How cruel, but he his still funny.

Kelley said...

I had totally forgotten about Deep Thoughts. Oh my gosh, they still crack me up!! Thanks for the memories today I will be laughing all weekend! Have a good one....

Jennifer said...

Yes, I can remember way back then too...I'm telling my age now, huh?

Those are great and brings back wonderful memories, especially of half way clean TV after 9 PM. Boy, that was way back then. :~)

Happy Friday, my friend!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, yes... I remember Deep Thoughts.... way too funny! :)

Thanks for sharing.. it's too bad SNL has all gone to pot these days! :(

Mindy said...

We had our 20wk ultrasound today and learned the sex of our baby, stop on by to see who our new addition will be!

DeeDee said...

thanks for your prayers Laurie Ann...
She was taken in at 3:00 for surgery... Should take about 1- 1 1/2 hours...
Thanks so much!
~dd

Denise said...

You are so funny.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

LOL! This was great!!! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great Friday!!
Sherry

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hilarious, Laurie!

Anonymous said...

Those are all funny, but this is my favorite:

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

At her daughter's ballet recital, I told a friend the
To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other. . . one. . .

. . . And she's never spoken to me since.
:-(

Leaon Mary said...

YOU ARE SUCH A NUT!
I LOVE YAAAAAAAAA
Holykisses,
L
add a slice of lemon to the jar for freshness??????????????????????????
waaahhaaaaaaaaa!

Anonymous said...

Nice one. Im so bless with your write ups. God Bless.

Christina said...

These were cute. The one about laughter and Tb was one of my favorites.

I have been reading some of your posts. I really liked hearing your testimony. You sound like you are a great mom.

Nice blog.

bp said...

hello,

Just wanted to say thank you for your prayers for our family.

Have a blessed weekend.
Bethany

Michele Williams said...

Too funny... thanks for giving me a laugh today... love you friend...

Melanie said...

Ahh.. "Deep Thoughts" was always a favorite segment of mine on SNL. Those were the good days with that show! Thanks for some good laughs tonight!