Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gone but Not So Much
A tornado ripped through a town where most of my family on Momma's side lives. It hit about 1:30 last night/this morning. 60 homes damaged; 20 injuries. No deaths reported that I know of. Gripping story. One man was retrieved from a tree about 12 ft. high, another lady, his wife if I'm not mistaken, was thrown 200 yards.
One church totally destroyed.


Can you imagine? This photo was taken by Mark McCall.

I titled my post Gone but Not So Much because despite the devastation, God remains on His throne and the people of this community can build back another church in which to worship.

The church may be gone, but the Church will never be gone until Christ calls us home to Heaven. What a glorious day that will be indeed!

Please pray for Magee, MS. Other areas of the state of Mississippi were hit but none so close to my heart.

My family is safe. Without power or water, but safe. All because God's hand surrounded them and kept them safe. While I was sleeping peacefully in my bed some 45 miles away they could have been gone in an instant.

But God....

I cannot wait to see how the community recovers from this and hear the stories of how people have worked so hard to provide for their immediate needs. Help has been there practically since it hit. Help will remain in the form of God's servants, rebuilding, rescuing, restoring electricity.

My aunt is getting married Saturday night in this city. I'm praying power is on by then and that all the water is boiled for whatever punch is served at the reception, LOL! They have guests in from California, where her fiance, my future Uncle Chuck, is from. What a way for Mississippi to greet them. We are supposed to be known as the Hospitality State! (Trying to find humor in the midst of this.)


For more information and photos go to http://www.mageenews.com/. And click on the picture for a post about that Scripture. It's become even more real to me now as I pray the hand of God will quiet the hurting there with His love and they will know how He delights in them in the midst of such devastation.

Photobucket

18 comments:

annies home said...

even in the eye of the storm he is with us reach out and with him there is peace. God Bless
shopannies@Yahoo.com

bp said...

Thankful for God's protection, I will say a prayer for those involved.

Raise Them Up said...

I'm so glad your family is safe. You're right. We have no guarantees on what tomorrow holds. But what a gracious God we serve!
Blessings

Ma and Pa said...

Laurie Ann,
Praising God that your family is safe, and that there was not any loss of life that you know. Will be in prayer for you and all the people involved. A "church" is not the building, but the people. Will pray for God's mighty provision for the church as well!

Blessings,
Nickie

Anonymous said...

Praise God that everyone is safe; keeping your family in prayers.

HEATHER said...

I am so thankful for God's protection & for God watching over your family too. I will say a prayer for all of those involved & keep them in my prayers.
God Bless,
Heather

LAURIE said...

Thankful for His protection and I am reminded of that great song, "His eye is on the sparrow". If he cares that much for a sparrow how much more does he watch over us? Praying for your family and for the wedding to have no interrruptions! -love Laurie

Melanie said...

I'm so thankful your family is OK!! Praying for them as they work to get past this and praying for the wedding this weekend!

Amico Dio said...

Oh my. Part of that storm ripped through here last night too. We awoke safe and sound but watching the devastation in other areas was just so sad. I hate that anyone would have to go through that. I'm praying for all...

debi9kids said...

WOW! By the grace of God....

Amazing that it destroyed so many homes and yet God kept all of those people in His embrace.

Praying for that community.

Denise said...

Wow, so devasting. Praise God for watching over your family sweetie.

Carla said...

Mother Nature can not destroy the Christian faith:) Blessings to all affected by this weather. GREAT verse:)

Nicole said...

Wow, I don't know what to say but that I am so glad that you and your family were protected. God is so good.

Dear Jesus, please be with Laurie and her family. Please strengthen her and like she said, help her find the humor in this situation. Help her refly on you and know that in all things you have a plan, and in all things you work together for good for those who love you.

Amen.

Love,
Nicole

Darlene said...

I am glad your family is okay. We are expecting more storms tonight. We usually get what comes through your state. Hope everything turns out wonderful for the wedding! Can't wait till you post some pictures.

Tricia said...

Oh Laurie Ann
I am so thankful that God protected your family! I will be praying for the people of that community, that God would be honored and glorified in all that takes place as they recover, and that every need, spiritually and physically will be met...

Blessings!

Michele Williams said...

I am so thankful that God watched over your family.

Blessings,

Michele

Mary Moss said...

I can't imagine the added stress of wedding preparations and plans of having no power or water!

So relieved no one was seriously hurt. Praying the wedding takes place without a hitch.

Blessings.

ambersun said...

Hi again

What a terrible thing to have happen. So glad your family is safe.

We will never know what tomorrow will bring, or what Christ's purpose is in situations, but we can only find true peace in Him.

God Bless

Amber