Tuesday, March 17, 2009

This week we read:

Some of the nuggets I gleaned this week...
The Seven Things He Hates
"There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers." ~ Proverbs 6:16-19 (NIV)
God is not messing around with these things. Lying is just as awful as murder in His holy sight. A proud look is just as evil as a false witness and one who loves to stir up dissension. Father, keep me from doing things You hate and things that are detestable in Your sight! Thank You for the reminder to remain humble. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.
Show, Teach, and Guide Me, Oh Lord
"Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. " ~ Psalm 25:4-5 (NIV)
The Hebrew word for show is yada`. It means:
1) to know
a) (Qal)
1) to know
a) to know, learn to know
b) to perceive
c) to perceive and see, find out and discern
d) to discriminate, distinguish
e) to know by experience
f) to recognise, admit, acknowledge, confess
g) to consider
2) to know, be acquainted with
3) to know (a person carnally)
4) to know how, be skilful in
5) to have knowledge, be wise
b) (Niphal)
1) to be made known, be or become known, be revealed
2) to make oneself known
3) to be perceived
4) to be instructed
c) (Piel) to cause to know
d) (Poal) to cause to know
e) (Pual)
1) to be known
2) known, one known, acquaintance (participle)
f) (Hiphil) to make known, declare
g) (Hophal) to be made known
h) (Hithpael) to make oneself known, reveal oneself
Trusting God to make known to me His ways is something I can always do and should always be on the lookout for. He makes known to us the things we need to know. In all the ways above He reveals Himself to us because He longs for us to travel the narrow road!
The Hebrew word for teach is lamad. It means:
1) to learn. teach, exercise in
a) (Qal) to learn
b) (Piel) to teach
c) (Pual) to be taught, be trained
I pray that my spirit is receptive to His teaching me the paths He wants me to travel in life, that I may remain trainable and discern His will for me.
The Hebrew word for guide is darak and means:
1) to tread, bend, lead, march
a) (Qal)
1) to tread, march, march forth
2) to tread on, tread upon
3) to tread (a press)
4) to tread (bend) a bow
5) archer, bow-benders (participle)
b) (Hiphil)
1) to tread, tread down
2) to tread (bend with the foot) a bow
3) to cause to go, lead, march, tread
With God guiding me in His truths and teaching me His paths I can never fear. He will never take me where He hasn't trod Himself before.
Grace, Grace, More Grace
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. " ~ 1 Timothy 1:15-17 (NIV)

Sometimes I feel like Paul doesn't have anything on me. I think we all feel that we were the worst of sinners, for in our sin we could see the redemption of God's precious grace. Believing in Him has given me strength to hold my head up high as a child of the Most High God!

The Hebrew word for God's mercy used here is eleeō. It means:

1) to have mercy on
2) to help one afflicted or seeking aid
3) to help the afflicted, to bring help to the wretched
4) to experience mercy

It was not for my glory that His grace was displayed within me, but for His. To Him be the honor and glory forever and ever, indeed! I'm so thankful for mercy and grace.

An Apple a Day...

Surely we are to care for our bodies as temples of God; however, we are not to be so consumed in health that we lose eternal perspective. Making exercise or healthy eating our idols will not benefit us in the long run.

"Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. " ~ 1 Timothy 4:7-8 (NIV)

We are to train ourselves to be godly. The Greek word for train is gymnazō. The definition of this is:

1) to exercise naked (in a palaestra or school of athletics)
2) to exercise vigorously, in any way, either the body or the mind

I'm going with the second one here, just because I think it applies more to training to be godly. Not sure where the first definition came from, but it's there in Strong's.

Godliness certainly has great value, according to the verse above. The greek word is eusebeia and means:

1) reverence, respect
2) piety towards God, godliness

I pray I exhibit these qualities and glorify God with them in this present life and the life to come in Heaven.

Setting the Example

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." ~ 1 Timothy 4:12 (NIV)

The fact is that people are watching our lives. We are to set examples to everyone in speech, life, love, faith and purity. I pray that my speech, life, love, faith and purity remains steadfast and that it honors God so that as others who are watching this life I lead are prompted to live in such a way that honors Christ. This is a high calling and one we should pray about every day. As women of faith we are called to live lives of integrity, setting the example to woo people to Jesus, not from Him.

Don't Throw the Baby Out With the Bathwater

"Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses. " ~ 1 Timothy 5:23 (NIV)

Apparently, back in the day, there were some who chose to drink only water because to drink wine would violate their doctrine. Perhaps the water was contaminated because Paul referenced frequent stomach illness. He instructed them to drink a little wine because of it. This spoke to me that if there is something we can do to help ourselves, not to dismiss it just because it's against our "religion". God is not about religion. He sent Jesus to fulfill the law, not to bring more laws upon us. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this spoke to me saying that it's okay to take medication when you're sick. It doesn't show a lack of faith, it shows that you're making good use of the resources God has given to men and women (read: doctors).

While our faith should never be in "wine" alone, it should also not be so staunch that we refuse to accept medication that can heal us. I was diagnosed with depression at the age of 9. I have been on medication and off medication, and to be on it is far better than to be off it. I was diagnosed with a gastro-intestinal disorder later in life. I could either take medication and feel better or continue to feel worse. I chose medication and have really good days most of the time. I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I don't take anything for it on an on-going basis, although there are medications on the market for it. I'm waiting to see if they really work, to see if the FDA doesn't come out with major warnings for them in a few years before I try them. Right now I don't need to be on them, I can take medication when I'm having a flare-up that really helps or I can use alternative therapies such as Old Faithful, my trusty heating pad, and rest.

I have opted not to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. I believe that God can cure anything, but I also believe that the "wine" He has given is profitable for health and this verse just sort of reaffirms that to me. I haven't read any commentaries on this verse or even this chapter (I should), so I am not sure that it's even what this verse is talking about, but it spoke to me that way.

I had a wonderful week in the Word. Care to join us? Visit DeeDee at I Have No Greater Joy... and jump in. Meet us where we are. You don't have to go back to the beginning. Just jump in and start reading with us. Reading God's Word is awesome! I cherish it and find that the more I read, the more I want read.

Photobucket

2 comments:

DeeDee said...

Great Post Laurie Ann...
I always enjoy reading your thoughts from the week's reading.
Sweet Blessings!
~dd

Denise said...

Such a nice post.