Monday, March 30, 2009


Praise for the Most High God

Jenifer, at By His Grace, is hosting this week's At the Well. The topic is Praise for the Most High God.

"The LORD reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice. Clouds and thick darkness surround him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne. Fire goes before him and consumes his foes on every side. His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles. The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim his righteousness, and all the peoples see his glory. All who worship images are put to shame, those who boast in idols - worship him, all you gods! Zion hears and rejoices and the villages of Judah are glad because of your judgments, O LORD. For you, O LORD, are the Most High over all the earth; you are exalted far above all gods. Let those who love the LORD hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked. Light is shed upon the righteous and joy on the upright in heart. Rejoice in the LORD, you who are righteous, and praise his holy name." ~ Psalm 97:1-12 (NIV)

Sometimes life on earth causes us to block out the true majesty of God described in the Psalm above. Truly our God is the Most High God and is worthy of all glory and honor and power and praise. He is to be exalted above anything or anyone in our lives.
My eyes teared up when I read this Scripture. Just last night I was talking with Him in prayer about a family member's illness. I just don't understand why he has to keep fighting melanoma. One treatment works and he stays cancer free for years and it comes back. Then he stays cancer free for less almost a year and it returns. Then he stays cancer free for way less than a year and it returns. And it has returned again. Jimmy's biopsy on his neck came back with the dreaded word, malignant.
I didn't know this Saturday night and I celebrated at my aunt's wedding just like nothing was wrong. I rejoiced at the happiness she and her new husband, Chuck, shared and would share in the years to follow.
Sunday I thought, how could I have celebrated? Today I realize, how could I not have celebrated?
God is God all by Himself. He deserves to be praised no matter what the circumstances of our life are. There is nothing on earth that is higher than Him and He is worthy of worship and praise. Do I love Him any less because Jimmy's cancer has returned? No. I trust Him even more.
Through the tears this morning I am praising God because He is God Most High and that God's status does not depend on a diagnosis. When the news is good, who God is does not change. He is still on His throne and there is still no other God but Him. It's the same when the news is bad. It doesn't diminish God's majesty.
So I praise You, God, and worship Your holiness. I truly love You and desire nothing besides You. There is nothing on earth that is above You and no other God but You. My praise for You will not waiver. It's not dependant on the circumstances of my life or anyone else's but on Your Holy Name.
~Who or what is “most high” in your mind and heart today?
While God is the One I worship and praise, admittedly I have some concerns. However, I was reminded by reading this Psalm not to let those concerns outweigh praise for my God.
"For you, O LORD, are the Most High over all the earth; you are exalted far above all gods." ~ Psalm 97:9 (NIV)
The Hebrew word for exalted is a verb. The transliterated meaning is:
1) to go up, ascend, climb
a) (Qal)
1) to go up, ascend
2) to meet, visit, follow, depart, withdraw, retreat
3) to go up, come up (of animals)
4) to spring up, grow, shoot forth (of vegetation)
5) to go up, go up over, rise (of natural phenomenon)
6) to come up (before God)
7) to go up, go up over, extend (of boundary)
8) to excel, be superior to
b) (Niphal)
1) to be taken up, be brought up, be taken away
2) to take oneself away
3) to be exalted
c) (Hiphil)
1) to bring up, cause to ascend or climb, cause to go up
2) to bring up, bring against, take away
3) to bring up, draw up, train
4) to cause to ascend
5) to rouse, stir up (mentally)
6) to offer, bring up (of gifts)
7) to exalt
8) to cause to ascend, offer
d) (Hophal)
1) to be carried away, be led up
2) to be taken up into, be inserted in
3) to be offered
e) (Hithpael) to lift oneself
Exalting God truly is a verb. These were my favorite meanings for today.
"to go up, go up over, rise (of natural phenomenon)"
"to go up, go up over, extend (of boundary)"
"to meet, visit, follow, depart, withdraw, retreat"
"to cause to ascend"
"to rouse, stir up (mentally)"
This is how I am exalting Him today!

~Is it the Most High, or someone or something else?

How could it be anything but God? I cannot imagine putting anything higher than God. My concerns are but a blip on the radar of this world. While my concerns are valid and not to be ignored or taken lightly, in the grand scheme of things we are only on this world for a minute. While we should make every second count for Him, making sure others know about Him and glorifying Him, this world is not our home. There should be nothing on this earth above Him. There is nothing on this world above God.
"Lift up your eyes to the heavens, look at the earth beneath; the heavens will vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment and its inhabitants die like flies. But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail." ~ Isaiah 51:6 (NIV)




Come on over to the Well and visit. Link up and share your thoughts on Praise for the Most High God, too.

Photobucket

14 comments:

annies home said...

love your post it makes me realize all though we may not know the answers he knows the questions and what is best all we have to have is faith

He & Me + 3 said...

Very thought provoking...love that song.

Anonymous said...

"God is God all by Himself. He deserves to be praised no matter what the circumstances of our life are."

AMEN!

Raye Ann said...

Laurie Ann,

What can I say but WOW. I ask myself many times why God would heal me of one thing and not the other. Why he would heal me and then allow my niece to inherit the same condition. All I do know is that in all things and in all times El Elyon (The Most High God) has been there, and will continue to be there. Your blog is a true blessing.

Blessings Always

Mary Moss said...

Another deep and powerful post. Thank you for reminding us "God is God all by himself"

June said...

Thank you for this wonderful message, and thank you so much for your visit with me today.

June

Is'nt it neet to learn new things about God. When we think we truly understand, we learn something nes.

Jenifer said...

Laurie Ann, I always enjoy reading your blog. You are such a deeper thinker who has a heart for the Lord.

Know that I will be praying for you and your family as you face this cancer again. Although it's news to you, it's not news to God. He knew from the beginning of time this day would come and He has a plan. Lift your eyes unto the hills, for that dear one, is the place from whence comes your help.

Blessings,
Jenifer

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Wow - what a great blog you have here and I love today's post with the definition to exalt. Keep exalting our King!
Courtney

GodsOwn/Bernice said...

Again a special and thought provoking post......
The last part put things so in perspective for me ......

My concerns are but a blip on the radar of this world.

.....in the grand scheme of things we are only on this world for a minute. While we should make every second count for Him, making sure others know about Him and glorifying Him, this world is not our home. There should be nothing on this earth above Him. There is nothing on this world above God.

Thank you
Blessings.......
Bernice

Denise said...

I really enjoyed this post, love you.

Grammy said...

Hi Laurie Ann,
My prayers are with you and your family. The fight with melanoma is scary but hopeful that it can be treated.I have not read you blog long enough to know who Jimmy is.

Melanie said...

Oh.. it is so very hard to praise even when life is difficult, but it is what we are called to do! I will be praying for your uncle along with you and your family!

Darlene said...

Great post! Makes me think of the song by Casting Crowns...I will praise you in this storm! so many times I have played that song and would cry my eyes out over things going on in my family! Keeping our focus on HIM in the good and bad times! A good friend once said
"Try not to go to the land of what if's."
Praying for you and your family.

LAURIE said...

beautiful post Laurie Ann. I have said a prayer for your uncle today. God has not forgotten or forsaken you or your uncle. His love is everlasting. -love, Laurie