Wednesday, March 04, 2009


Lynn at Spiritually Unequal Marriage is hosting Thankful Thursday for the month of March. This week she has chosen wisdom and has shared one of my favorite Proverbs.


I am so thankful for the wisdom God grants us. Truly the fear of the Lord is what leads to this wisdom.

The Hebrew word for fear is yir'ah. It means:

1) fear, terror, fearing
a) fear, terror
b) awesome or terrifying thing (object causing fear)
c) fear (of God), respect, reverence, piety
d) revered

I do fear and revere the Lord, not in a scary kind of way, but in what I call "holy fear". It's a healthy respect of honoring God for Who He is. Once we have this fear of the Lord, the wisdom that comes from Him begins in our lives.

The Hebrew word for wisdom is chokmah. This noun means:

1) wisdom
a) skill (in war)
b) wisdom (in administration)
c) shrewdness, wisdom
d) wisdom, prudence (in religious affairs)
e) wisdom (ethical and religious)

The Hebrew root word for the word for wisdom above is the verb chakam. It means:

1) to be wise
a) (Qal) to be or become wise, act wisely
b) (Piel) to make wise, teach wisdom, instruct
c) (Pual) to be made wise
d) (Hiphil) to make wise
e) (Hithpael) to show oneself wise, deceive, show one's wisdom.

This week I am thankful for the wisdom that He has given me in choosing the right doctor to go to, the wisdom to know my physical limitations during illness, and the wisdom to learn more about prudence and discretion in conversations. I'm also grateful for the wisdom that has come through reading His Word. He has given me a spirit of wisdom in seeking Him and thirsting for His Word that I have never found before. Each time I think I am full, my cup just overflows with the blessings found in His Word. If I hadn't ever feared the Lord, I know I wouldn't recognize the signs of wisdom He has placed before me in seeking Him through His Word. I have really enjoyed reading through Genesis and Exodus as of late, as well as Acts and Psalms. I'm beginning Exodus 26 tomorrow and in the New Testament will be reading beginning with Acts 24.

There are many ways to exercise the God-given wisdom we have been given through fearing the Lord. I am so thankful for each opportunity to use wisdom and pray that I do use it often and in a way that brings God glory.

W - Wisely seek God's will for your life. "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." ~ Proverbs 19:21 (NIV)

I - Intentionally spend time in the Word of God. "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." ~ Psalm 119:105 (NIV)

S - Show your wisdom by being obedient to the commands of God. "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." ~ John 14:21 (NIV)

D - Determine to remain humble in your wisdom. "The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor." ~ Proverbs 15:33 (NIV)

O - Offer good characteristics with wisdom. "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." ~ James 3:17 (NIV)

M - Maintain a healthy fear of the Lord. "The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous." ~ Psalm 19:19 (NIV)

Thank you, Lynn, for hosting this month, and for choosing such a great topic! Be sure to visit other Thankful Thursday posts by clicking on the button below and link up, leaving a Thankful Thursday post of your own.

I pray you have a Thankful Thursday. I went back to work Wednesday but am still not well, so using the wisdom God gave me, I'm listening to my body and am going to rest some more, trying to heal and taking the medication I have been given. This sinus infection, ear infections, bronchitis, respiratory virus, and sore throat are about to do me in. Sometimes I think the medication is worse than the illness with the side effects. It's hard to exercise wisdom when taking this powerful cough syrup; yet if I don't take the medicine, I won't get well and mend. I am feeling better. The fever is gone and the stuff in my chest is breaking up. It is really wearing me out, though. It may take me a while to visit everyone tomorrow, but I'm going to try! You're all such an encouragement and inspiration to me, and I truly appreciate your prayers during this time. Please keep my husband in your prayers now. It looks like I have shared the love with him.

And while I'm mentioning prayers, my dear friend Melly goes for her PET Scan today (Thursday). Please pray with us that there is no indication of anything on her lungs at all. Our God is Able! We know this and trust His plan for her. Melly read your comments from when I asked for prayer for her before and she was just so thankful. I wanted to say thank you, too. Ya'll are some great prayer warriors! Your wisdom in prayer and our reliance on God's wisdom in handling our prayer requests is truly humbling.

Photobucket

17 comments:

Denise said...

My prayers are with you, and your dear friend. I love you.

He & Me + 3 said...

Just said a prayer for your friend and will continue to pray for yor healing. Get better friend. Love that verse and picture.

Unknown said...

Wow Laurie Ann,

This is an excellent post about wisdom. Girl, wish I had thought to do some research but so glad you did. I loved it and your acrostic.

I too, am done in with a bad cold but you sound a lot worse.

Lord, I ask for healing for my dear friend, Laurie Ann. Dispatch an angel with a cup of healing water that flows from your throne and pour it upon and in Laurie Ann. Bring healing to her physical body and worn out spirit. In Jesus name. Amen

Melanie said...

Glad you're starting to feel better and will continue to pray for your recovery.. and for Steve. Don't you know the hubby's just love it when we share our illnesses with them! ;)

Nicole said...

So glad you shared this! I love this breakdown and your acroustic. I will be back to read over again, and implement.

Love in Christ,
Nicole

Sweet Blessings said...

wow! You have a lot going on in your body! Good to see you're kind of back...Happy Thursday to you! Hope you get better very soon! Amanda:)

Pia said...

you get some rest, laurie ann. melly is in God's hand. yes, God is able. (((HUGS)))

Genefaith said...

Thank you for giving us the background of WISDOM...God will surely grant u wisdom in these trying situations you're facing..you/re in our prayers..God bless.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

My sweet friend. I am so sorry that you are still feeling so badly. I pray that the Lord will heal your body and make you 100%.
Big big hugs to you today my friend. I have missed you!
Kim

Angela said...

I glean so much from your posts. Thank you so much for sharing Hebrew words with us. I'm thankful for that, for it ministers to me greatly.

Anonymous said...

wonderful post.

thanks for visiting my TT!

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

We must have been thinking of each other, my friend! Your email came in when I was going to your blog! I'm sorry you are still not feeling well, and I do understand how the meds can mess with your system.

I'm praying for you, my friend, and I will say a prayer for your friend. So thankful for the Lord's wisdom speaking to you and telling you to listen to your body and be still.

Big hugs to you, sweet sis!

Jennifer said...

Laurie Ann, you are amazing! I learn so much from reading your blogs. The simplicity that you use to explain things...always encourages my heart.

Get well soon, my friend! Will be praying for your hubby and your friends. Yes...God is more than able plus He is willing.

Love you, girl! Counting down the days until we meet face to face...22 days :D

Happy TT!

Sue said...

Yes I will be praying for both of you!!1 Thank you for this teaching on wisdom. Wisdom is what i pray for regularly, because He said If i lacked it He would give it to me. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

Rita T. said...

Wow. This is great post and thankful list. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

God Chaser said...

So glad God has you on tthe mend. May He return you to perfect health. Thanks for this post today -much to be thankful for,may we continue to seek God's great wisdom.

May the joy of the Lord be yours today.

Tricia said...

Hey Laurie Ann
I am so sorry to hear that you have been sick, I pray that you are beginning to feel better and that God's healing touch would be upon you and your husband... may you both get lots of rest this weekend.

The fear of the Lord is a precious and wonderful thing, I did a study on it several years ago and was just blown away by all that the fear of the Lord is and does for us!

Blessings!