Monday, July 21, 2008

At The Well is a new meme hosted by Chelsey. Each Monday we'll discuss topics connecting Titus 2 to today's world. Oh, how I hope you'll join in the discussion.

Today's discussion question is: What does being a Titus 2 woman mean to you?

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." Titus 2:3-5

The older ladies had to be taught how to live so they could teach the younger ones. Having mentors is important. Back in the day, the women at the well connected, I suppose like we do in our life groups or Sunday School classes. While they were busy at work and likely didn't have time for coffee at the well, they did have time to chat as they drew water for their needs at home.

To me, being a Titus 2 woman means incorporating the admonitions in the verses above into my daily life, weaving them into the fabric of my being and hopefully passing on what I've learned to others younger than I. I can do this through example, through writing, through speaking and the like. The most effective way I've learned to lead is by example, and it's one of the best ways that I'm taught. I love good teaching, don't get me wrong, but my prayer is that as I see women put "self-control" and "loving their husbands" and "kindness" into action that it spur me on to imitate this behavior until it becomes as natural as my heartbeat.

What does being a Titus 2 woman mean to you? Visit Chelsey's site and do the Mr. Linky thing and see what other women have to say.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes! Right on Laurie - we lead by example and let His light shine through. Many, many times our actions speak louder than our words ever could! Great words Laurie - I'm so excited you are a part of the Well!

LauraLee Shaw said...

Amen. Values truly are caught, not taught. By our example, others want to emulate His walk in us. What incredible wisdom for all of us to follow. Thank you for sharing your heartbeat.

Jill Beran said...

So glad I found the Titus 2 discussion on your site, can't wait to hear what everyone has to say. Definitely a wonderful concept and one that's always on my heart. Jill

Denise said...

A great big amen to this.

Deborah said...

weaving them into the fabric of my being

I love that imagine. I love to sew so any reference to that perks me up. Remember that sometimes as we're "weaving" we don't see the big picture, we stay focused on what is right in front of us and we may not release how many lives we are touching until we view the material of our being from above.

Deborah

Anonymous said...

I love what you said when you said:

"my prayer is that as I see women put "self-control" and "loving their husbands" and "kindness" into action that it spur me on to imitate this behavior until it becomes as natural as my heartbeat."

"...until it becomes as natural as my heartbeat." I want the same thing!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Karen
www.homesteadblogger.com/tagblog