Tuesday, July 08, 2008



“The Christian life is a pilgrimage. At times the road is difficult and we get lonely. Sometimes we may get discouraged and consider abandoning the journey. It is at such times that God will place a friend alongside us. One of God’s most precious gifts to us is friends who encourage us and lovingly challenge us to ‘keep going.’ “ By Henry T. Blackaby & Richard Blackaby from their devotional book, Experiencing God

I'm reminded of a few Bible verses when I read this quote.


Proverbs 27:17 - "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

Ecclesiastes 4:10 - "If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"


God has placed a wonderful friend in my life. I call her my spiritual sister in Christ. H has walked with me as we've made our pilgramage toward a more Christ-like walk in the last few years. We are there for each other in good times and bad, babies being born, deaths in the family, encouraging each other, holding each other accountable regarding the words we speak (or don't speak). We rejoice with each other, cry with each other, comfort each other, share the Word of God with each other and most of all, pray for each other.

Our lives are not perfect. We have storms in our life, raging storms sometimes. We've both had tough times recently and have talked about why God may allow certain things to happen regarding those we love, whether it's a young cancer-stricken relative or the death of an older aunt. We come away from those conversations always uplifted and always remembering that God is in control. God has the best in mind for us, even when *we* can't see it. We are "faith lifter-uppers" to each other. We sharpen each other by communicating openly and honestly.

I have an even better friend than her, though. Actually, she would say the same.


John 15:15 - "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."

While we don't see Jesus in person walking beside us, He has an even better place in our lives. He dwells in our hearts. He shared so much with us, and His Words are even written in red in the Bible, the color of the precious blood He shed on the cross to redeem us into an everlasting life of friendship with Him. He is precious and holy in our sight.

He truly makes clear the path that we walk on our pilgrimage of faith and encourages us through His Holy Spirit and His Word. In times of doubt, discouragement and dread, we turn to Him and remind each other He is there for us.

I'm glad I have these two friends in my life.

Ecclesiastes 4:12 - "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Praise God for my friend and my Friend!


I pray you have an H in your life, a friend you can share your heart with, as well as a friend like Jesus.


Heart to Heart Reflection: Do you know Him? Is He your Friend? If not, contact me for more information on how you can truly have a Friend like Him to help you in your walk. I'd love to introduce you.




7 comments:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Jesus really is the very best friend ever, and we can be sure he will never let us down! Great post!

Unknown said...

Jesus is really the heart of friendship, is He not? Beautifully said, Laurie Ann.

Loving this post.

Blessing.s

Leaon Mary said...

Hi Laurie Ann!
Simply beautiful. Jesus truly is our bestest friend ever.
Lea
<*)))><

Lauren said...

You are truly blessed to have a friend that reflects the friendship of the Father!

Denise said...

This was so beautiful, blessings to you and your friend always.

Bonnie W said...

"Praise God for my friend and my Friend!"
Ditto! Thanks for sharing Laurie Ann. Great post.
Bonnie

Heather said...

Yes, you are right. You have One very special friend and He has given you another great friend too!