Tuesday, July 29, 2008

“Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat… We must find each other.”~Mother Teresa~

This statement breaks my heart. Literally makes it ache. I think about how many people in my life who know they are wanted, loved, cared for and not forgotten. I'm one of them. My plate is full.
Full of what?
Love. Love is what's needed to heal these broken and hungry people mentioned above.
I've heard that love is a verb. More than that, though, it's a commandment.
1 John 4:21 - And He has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.
Would you consider volunteering for a few hours one weekend in a homeless shelter, a battered women's home or the like? I would. In fact, I have considered it for a while. It's time for the feet of my heart to hit the pavement, though. I did it once during Katrina. I need to keep doing it.
Matthew 25:45 - "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
Father, let me extend to others the love You, my family and friends have extended to me. Make my good intentions reality, Lord. Give me a heart of compassion that sees people the way You see them. In loving them, I am serving You.
Please visit this week's host of In Other Words Tuesday's to read more on this topic.

9 comments:

Irish Coffeehouse said...

Your blog is simply beautiful! And your post is equally as beautiful. Our intentions are always good, but are we turning them into actions is the real question.

Often I tell myself, yea, I really should do that. Only to fall short when a different idea pops in.

Praying in agreement with you.

Melanie said...

Beautiful post about loving others, Laurie Ann! This topic makes my heart ache, too. So many people out there that have no idea how much they are loved!

Happy Tuesday!

Mindy said...

I feel the same way about this, it is so sad. It especially breaks my heart when people refuse to reach out to others out of fear, etc.

Miriam Pauline said...

Great post Laurie Ann. Bless you for sharing.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Great post. It's easy to say "I should..." but never actually get out there and do it.

LAURIE said...

Laurie Ann, came by today and once again was blessed by your words. To love someone is something that speaks so loud when put with action. thanks for sharing from your heart today. -Blessings, Laurie

Susan said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

I've missed you, been out of town.

Thanks for stopping by today. I loved your post. So TRUE.

Our plates are full of LOVE, it's now time to start sharing it with others.

Oh, that's neat you helped out with Katrina! I'm from New Orleans area.

Bless you!!!!

Denise said...

Bless you for this post, so lovely.

Tracy said...

Laurie Ann,
What a beautiful challenge to us. You're so right, we are so blessed. It's time to let some of that spill over onto those who need it most. What joy and honor that would bring to our Lord.

Blessings,
Tracy

P.S. Trust me when I tell you it's unquestionably alright that you snickered about what almost became my name...It IS hilarious! By the way...I like the idea of those 5 item recipes! I'd love to have some of those if you like sharing! = )