Tuesday, July 01, 2008

What Happens When Women Walk in Faith
Bible study based on book by Lysa TerKeurst


Intro & Chapter 1 - The Map

I've wondered lately what my dream in life was. How do you wonder what your dream is? Don't you just *know*? Not me. I am a planner, and I don't want to plan something I don't intend on finishing. I have to have a goal, a mission, and the end in sight.

I've learned from reading this chapter that it's okay not to know what your dream is. It's enough to trust God for "A dream perhaps you can't even imagine, an assignment you can't figure out and wouldn't dare to consider as being for you." As Lysa says in Chapter 1, "He doesn't call the qualified, but He qualifies those He calls."

Taking all my fears of inadequacy and giving them to Him, I'm prepared to say *YES* to honoring God.

Personal Bible Study

1. Read Job 1:6; Luke 22:31; 1 Peter 5:8

On Satan, Lysa asks, "What tactics is he using to try to defeat you right now?"

The Enemy is alive and active in my life. I find him to be more so when I'm moving for God, striving to be the best I can be in this life of honoring Him and trying to bear fruit for Him. When I'm complacent, he tends to leaves me alone. Distraction is one of his favorite tactics in my life. I find myself making more time to read and chat with friends than I do reading God's Word. Another tactic is lying to me, whispering in my ear that I am inadequate and a total dork, that God could never use me. That is a lie. God loves me, tells me I'm covered in grace, and that He's upholding me with His righteous right hand.

2. Read Ephesians 6:11; James 4:7; John 10:10

Practical ways to resist Satan

For me, reading the Bible, God's Word. Satan can't stand it. Also prayer. When I'm focused on God in prayer, I am not focused on the wiles of the Devil.

Practical ways to draw close to God

The above works well in drawing close to God. When I'm in His Word, I feel like a child curled up in His lap - so close to Him. Prayer draws me so close to Him that I feel like I have His undivided attention. Aligning myself with like-minded people who don't drag me down with high-octane drama, potty mouths and giving way too much information of a personal nature also helps me keep my focus on my walk with God.

3. Read Hebrews 10:35-36.

"So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised."

Lysa writes: "My prayer is that you will find the confidence you need to persevere until you have received whatever God has promised you."

My prayer, "Father, I will not throw my confidence away based on the lies
of the Enemy. I know that through You, I will persevere and that when I
have done Your will, I will receive the reward You have promised. I trust
You, I purpose to honor You, and to try to see myself as You see me, a woman of
worth and a child of the Most High God. Thank You for loving me.
Whatever Your dream is for me, that is what I want to do. If You want me
to write devotions, I will write them. If You want me to teach Acteens, I
will teach Acteens. If You want me to just continue living my life for
You, that I will do, Lord. I know that You will reveal Your plan to me in
Your time, and I know You have it all planned out. Thank You, God, for
being The Master Planner."


4 comments:

Sandra Garcia said...

Hi Laurie Ann,

I so agree with you on aligning yourself with like-minded people. Especially since I'm still in my "early" walk with God. I'm far from being a seasoned christian and worry that I can fall into temptation by hanging out with non-believers. Although, sometimes I have no choice because those non-believers tend to be family but they know where I stand. Great point!

Blessings,
Sandra

Carol said...

Hi Laurie Ann,
This is such a great book! It's one of my favorites. Have you ever read The Dreamgiver by Bruce Wilkenson? It's a good one to help find your dream. God Bless you on the journey!
~Carol

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Laurie Ann-I pray you live out your dream and that as you do so you draw ever closer to our God. Walk in faith!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Laura said...

Hi, Laurie!
I've enjoyed reading your first day of Bible study! I think this book is going to be a big help to all of us who want "God's best" for us. Looking forward to sharing more...