Sunday, July 27, 2008


Lori, at I Will Take It, Lord, All You Have to Give, is the host of this week's Women at the Well topic. Her topic is on raising godly boys.

I don't have children of my own, but was blessed to raise a bonus daughter from age 6 to 20. After she married, she has made me Nonnie to a precious little one named Nolan, who is 11 months old. She is also carrying Liam, who will put in his appearance November 1, if not before. Probably mid-October...

One of the Scriptures Lori chose was "Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.Titus 2:6-8"

I love this and will do my best to encourage them! Self-control is hard to teach an 11 month old. When I say, "No No!" and pick him up to head him away from an electrical outlet, all his little body knows to do is flail like a fish on a hook and go, "AAAAHHHH!" I just want to grab him up and smother him with kisses and say that Nonnie is so mean but she loves him. Instead of soothing him, I plop him down on the floor and let him be mad for a second. I know when he gets older we'll have to work on that self-control!

I look so forward to seeing what the other women are talking about at the Well this week. Head over to Lori's and join in...!




9 comments:

Denise said...

Great advice my friend.

Unknown said...

Self-control is hard to teach, but you are doing the right thing! :) Great words! Thanks for sharing today At the Well!

Darlene said...

I still have problems with self-control. It is not easy to teach ...or do sometimes! I have self control issues when it comes to food and I need to drink more water. I love diet pepsi!
I think it is great that you are teaching your little ones. Don't give up. Life lessons are not easy!

Blessings,
Darlene

lori said...

Those boys grab and pull and tug on our heart strings...mine does it to me and he does it to his grandmother too....being the ONLY grandson I see how hard it is for her to "sit him down." It takes all of us to raise these boys in this culture...Your "bonus daughter" is so blessed to have a committed grandma on her side!

Peace,
lori

Kathy C. said...

One of the most difficult things about teaching self control to a boy when he becomes a teenager, is that you are so frustrated yourself at that point that you can't be a good example, LOL. Sorry, I just had that thought and had to share. :)
Loved your post. Have a blessed day!

Amydeanne said...

a hard one to work on when I have a hard time with it!!

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Laurie Ann, I had to chuckle reading this. And, I thought, "ooohhh, good, Abigail isn't the only flailing fish!!!

Aaahhh, self-control is something I am STILL working on!

Blessings!

Sheila said...

You made me smile. It seems like teaching self-control to an 11 month old would be impossible huh? But it really does begin with the "little" things like you gave an example of. So many times I have to put away my urge to smother my boys with kisses, cause even in their flailing like fish I still love 'em to pieces, but it's more important that they learn self control. So a little "plop" on the floor, or swat on the tush, is a first step in that life-long implementation of self-control.

I always love what you write here!
Sheila

LauraLee Shaw said...

so glad you posted. There are many women out there right at the stage you are right now and will be encouraged.