Friday, April 10, 2009

He Must

It breaks my heart each year this day (throughtout the year, actually, but most importantly this day) to realize what agony Jesus endured on the Cross. The hope and assurance of His resurrection on the third day is always the bright light that brings such joy to my soul, but on this day I grieve.
"He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again." ~ Mark 8:31 (NIV)

Jesus was not caught off guard by what happened to Him. In fact, He shared with those He was intimate with that He must do it.

The Greek word for must is dei. This verb means:

1) it is necessary, there is need of, it behooves, is right and proper
a) necessity lying in the nature of the case
b) necessity brought on by circumstances or by the conduct of others toward us.
c) necessity in reference to what is required to attain some end
d) a necessity of law and command, of duty, equity
e) necessity established by the counsel and decree of God, especially by that purpose of his which relates to the salvation of men by the intervention of Christ and which is disclosed in the Old Testament prophecies
1) concerning what Christ was destined finally to undergo, his sufferings, death, resurrection, ascension

This truly helps me understand why He Must.

Death On a Cross

Jesus was rejected by man and suffered much on the Cross, killed for the sins of man. Dead. The Greek word for killed is apokteinō. This verb leaves no doubt as to what happened after being tortured and agoninzing on the Cross for so long. It means:
1) to kill in any way whatever
a) to destroy, to allow to perish
2) metaph. to extinguish, abolish
a) to inflict mortal death
b) to deprive of spiritual life and procure eternal misery in hell

The Great Conquerer

But He did not stay dead. Just as He predicted that He would rise again, He did. The Greek word for rise is againanistēmi. Also a verb, it means:

1) to cause to rise up, raise up
a) raise up from laying down
b) to raise up from the dead
c) to raise up, cause to be born, to cause to appear, bring forward
2) to rise, stand up
a) of persons lying down, of persons lying on the ground
b) of persons seated
c) of those who leave a place to go elsewhere
1) of those who prepare themselves for a journey
d) of the dead
3) at arise, appear, stand forth
a) of kings prophets, priests, leaders of insurgents
b) of those about to enter into conversation or dispute with anyone, or to undertake some business, or attempt something against others
c) to rise up against any one


Doesn't it just thrill your soul to know that He conquered death and lived again?
Why?
He did it for us.
"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." ~ Romans 5:6-11 (NIV)

What Now?

What should our response be to His death, burial and resurrection? While surely we should grieve, we must believe.
"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." ~ John 5:24 (NIV)
Are you unsure about where you will spend eternity when you die? If so, believe that Jesus died for you and accept Him as your Savior. You will know based on the Word of God that you'll spend eternity with Him in Heaven, not an eternity of separation in Hell. These are two very real places. One is great. The other, not. Eternity with God, eternal separation from God. Oh, the choice seems so easy to make! I plead with you to accept Him if you haven't.
Most of the people reading this have accepted Him. What should our response be to His death, burial and resurrection?
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." ~ Colossians 3:12-17 (NIV)
Thank You, Lord, for saving my soul. Thank You for providing me with the assurance that when I leave this world I will spend eternity with You in Heaven. Thank You for making salvation so personal to each of us as You were on the Cross, bearing our sins. Thank You for rising again! In the Matchless Name of our Savior and Lord...Amen.
E - Endeavor to keep His Word close in our hearts to keep us from stumbling. "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." ~ Psalm 119:11 (NIV)
A - Always tell others about Him. "I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ." ~ Philemon 1:6 (NIV)
S - Set our minds on eternal, not worldly gain. "Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval." ~ John 6:27 (NIV)
T - Thank Him for His salvation. "I will give you thanks, for you answered me; you have become my salvation." ~ Psalm 118:21 (NIV)
E - Eagerly anticipate eternity with Jesus. "Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life." ~ Jude 1:21 (NIV)
R - Remember to honor Him in gratitude in all that we do. "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." ~ Colossians 3:17 (NIV)
Photobucket

11 comments:

Marsha said...

Laurie Ann, Thank you for pouring yourself into each and everyone of these posts. They are so rich and full of wisdom. Thank you for sharing your love of the Scriptures and our Savior, so faithfully each and everyday. Great is your reward in heaven!

Have a blessed weekend.

Sunny Shell said...

Oh my beloved and precious twin!

How I have missed you and how I love you so much!

I always love coming by and visiting with you! I am NEVER surprised when I visit, as I'm confident (b/c of your abandoned love for Christ) that everything you write, will exalt our Savior and earnestly implore others to come.

What a beautiful article you've written today!

I love you so much! ♥

Tricia said...

What a wonderful post... pointing us to the cross of Christ on this Good Friday (my boys wanted to know why it is not sad friday when I was talking to them about it today)... and encouraging us to forever be grateful and to live in a way that points others to Him...

Have a wonderful and joyous Easter and Resurrection Day!

Blessings!

Beth in NC said...

Hi Laurie Ann,

Thank you for sharing such insight in your posts. This was wonderful.

Many blessings!
Beth

Denise said...

So precious, bless you.

Shelby said...

Beautiful, beautiful post Laurie Ann! I never fail to be moved and educated by your posts!

ambersun said...

Thanks Laurie Anne for this post.

It is always important to remind ourselves of Jesus' sacrifice, and especially so as we celebrate Easter.

I'm not sure who I would lay down my life for - but certainly they would be friends not enemies. But Jesus laid his life down for His enemies. I feel I must always remember that.

May God Bless you this Easter

Amber

Alleluiabelle said...

Laurie Ann,

My feelings are the same as Martha's above. I couldn't have worded it any better.

Every time I come to your postings, I read them aloud so that each word penetrates through me from mind to heart. I want to make sure I don't miss anything as I read. You have taught me well here and I thank you sweet friend. I thank you.

Have a very blessed Easter.

Hugs,
Alleluiabelle

He & Me + 3 said...

He didn't have to go to the cross, but He did...because of His love for us. That just blows me away. Because He loved me...He died! (& rose again)
Thank you Jesus!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I join with you today in deep worship of the Lamb of God who willing took and still takes away the sins of the world.

LAURIE said...

Laurie Ann,
Just stopping in to wish you a very happy Resurrection Day! He is ALIVE! - Laurie