Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Welcome to In "Other" Words Tuesdays, hosted this week by Karen at In Love W.I.T.H. Jesus. The quote she chose this week is a great one!

“God’s promises are never affected by our failures. He can use us at any age.” - by Michael Youssef from Leading the Way

Use Me Up

Do you believe the quote above to be true in your life? I believe in God's sovereignty. I believe that although there are consequences from our sin and failure that God can still use us for good and for His glory if He so chooses.

  • Moses was a murderer, He still used him.
  • David committed adultery, He still used him.
  • Paul persecuted Christians, He still used him.
Admittedly, those failures are probably on a scale larger in the eyes of humanity than any failures we've ever experienced. If these men could be used by God, surely He could use us.

Many times we want to use our failures as an out to keep us from doing something big for God. We think we're just not perfect enough to do whatever we're being called by God to do. I've learned from Jonah and from Elijah in the Bible and from people in my life that you cannot hide from God and you can't outrun Him or just lay down and plead depression to keep you from doing the work of the Lord.

God is Able

"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." ~ 2 Corinthians 9:8 (NIV)

We serve a God who is able to provide us with everything that we need to abound in His work, regardless of the things we have failed at before.

God is Strong

"He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." ~ Psalm 40:2 (NIV)

Our God is stronger than us. No matter how we sink and fall, He picks us up and sets our feet on a rock. He places us back on terra firma to continue to stand for Him. We are able to work by His strength, not our own.

God is Sovereign

"But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." ~ Psalm 73:28 (NIV)

I love this verse. Easton's Bible Dictionary says that sovereignty is: of God, his absolute right to do all things according to his own good pleasure. God has the right to make rights out of wrongs. He can do anything according to His plans. This speaks volumes to me in that nothing is beyond HIs control. It is His absolute right to work His will, regardless of how we may get in the way.

God is Loving

"He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me." ~ Psalm 144:2 (NIV)
God loves us and wants to make miracles of our messes. As a loving Father, He has our back and promotes His goodness and deliverance.
God is Present

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." ~ Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

We should be comforted that the Lord is with us wherever we go. No matter what we face, failures or anything else, we are commanded to be strong and courageous.

God Promises

"Not one of all the LORD's good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled." ~ Joshua 21:45 (NIV)

Do you remember reading the mistakes the Israelites had made during their wilderness journey? Despite their failures, not one promise of God failed to be carried out.

While I believe we do have some affect on the outcome of situations in our life, I heartily believe that God acts because He acts, not because of what we do or don't do. I believe that because He is perfect, because we are under grace, and because He is God that no matter our age or station in life that His promises prevail regardless.

R - Remember that God is in control. "The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed in majesty and is armed with strength. The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved." ~ Psalm 93:1 (NIV)

E - Expect failures to come in life but God to reign victorious. "We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the LORD grant all your requests." ~ Psalm 20:5 (NIV)

G - Give your failures to the Lord and begin anew. "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." ~ 1 Peter 5:7 (NIV)

A - Admit that we have limited power in the outcome of life's circumstances. "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." ~ Proverbs 19:21 (NIV)

R - Rearrange your priorities to put God first in everything. "Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns." ~ Revelation 19:6 (NIV)

D - Decide to believe that the Word of the Lord is true. "For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does." ~ Psalm 33:4 (NIV)

L - Look to God to fix your messes when they are beyond fixing on your own. "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." ~ 2 Corinthians 9:8 (NIV)

E - Expect the seemingly impossible with God. "Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." ~ Matthew 19:26 (NIV)

S - Surrender your plans to God. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." ~ Isaiah 55:8-11 (NIV)

S - Let your thoughts focus on God, not on the trappings of this world. "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." ~ Colossians 3:2 (NIV)

For more In "Other" Words Tuesdays, please visit Karen at In Love W.I.T.H. Jesus.

Photobucket

15 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

I need to put into practice the letter R in your acrostics...I need to remember all the time that God is in control of even the little things.

LAURIE said...

Wow what a great quote you guys are using today. Reminds me of how often we tend to have "circumstance" faith. Our faith in God should not be based upon our failures or our successes. Thanks for sharing with us today Laurie Ann!

ambersun said...

Hi again

So God can use my mistakes, sins and messes - thank God for that.

If He didn't I'd never get it right on my own.

God Bless

Amber

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

Wow! Great post! Thanks for the reminders of God's sovereignty and other attributes. We were thinking along very similar lines. :) I really like all the verses you quoted and the Regardless acronym, too. You put a lot of thought into this!

Saleslady371 said...

Whenever we feel down, we should remember the Isrealites! Talk about a mess. I love the Josh 1:9 scripture which speaks to me. I heard on the Christian radio station yesterday that the concept of retirement is not in the Bible.

Thank you for your gift of teaching when all of us must keep moving forward!

Angela said...

SIGH....this WAS soooooooo good...You do my heart good sis.. I praise God for how I'm fed here His Word...((hugs))
Could you please just move next to my house...lol...would LOVE the fellowship face to face..let me TELL YA!! ((hugs))

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

. . . the "R" is a good one.
God's promises were given and written from GOD's perspective. Not ours. God's perspective on things is SO vastly different than ours. Than the worlds. I don't think the word "failure" is in His vocabulary. Do you? Yet it is part of our lives everyday. To rearrange our priorities to match his is impossible. But in trying, we can grab onto His promises all the more!
Good thoughts today!

Karen said...

I like how you pointed out and zeroed in on God's abilities, His characteristics showing why it doesn't depend on our failures but His sovereignty. Thanks so much.

Faye said...

stopped by for a visit.your blog is such a blessing!have a great evening. blessings, faye

Mary Moss said...

I really love the acronym you used and the scripture to go with it:-)

Leaon Mary said...

WHAT PROMISE AND HOPE!!!!!

Great examples:Moses, David, Paul!
God can use us if He chooses, and I pray to God I will always say Yes Lord!

Denise said...

Such a nice post, loved it.

Patricia said...

"Surrender your plans to God." Thanks for the reminder.

Susan said...

This was sooooooooooooooo good Laurie Ann!!

Great points, you are so creative.

Blessings♥

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great quote and sooo true! He definitely can use us any time of our life.