Thursday, April 09, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Sacrifice

Laurie, from Women Taking a Stand, is hosting this week. She has chosen a great theme for Thankful Thursday as we are coming up on Easter.

I was thinking about sacrifice and noticed that the word sacrifice, or a variant thereof, is used:

  • 310 times in the KJV Bible
  • 357 times in the NIV Bible
  • 284 times in the ESV Bible
  • 417 times in the NLT Bible
  • 327 times in the AMP Bible
  • 245 times in the MSG Bible
Considering the number of times this word or a variant of it is used in the different versions, the frequency of its mention helps me realize how important it is.

Sacrifice provides redemption, deliverance, reconciliation, repentance, cancellation, justification of righteousness, and cleansing, and sonship, according to the International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia.

I think of how the OT sacrifices began. The first blood shed on Earth was by God to cover Adam and Eve's nakedness.

"The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." ~ Genesis 3:21 (NIV)

From there sacrifices were made of animals, food, drink, time, etc., in an effort for reconciliation or expressions of love to God. Redemption and reconciliation were needed to be made for sin and there was a set system for making proper sacrifices set in place.

Finally, the law was fulfilled through Christ.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." ~ Matthew 5:17 (NIV)

The Sacrifice of all sacrifices was made. Brutally murdered by man, what man meant for bad, God meant for good. He had a plan! Christ did not stay in the grave. He rose!

I praise God for the sacrifice of Christ.


Vines Expository Dictionary says, "akin to hileos ("merciful, propitious"), signifies "an expiation, a means whereby sin is covered and remitted." It is used in the NT of Christ Himself as "the propitiation," in 1Jo 2:2; 4:10, signifying that He Himself, through the expiatory sacrifice of His Death, is the Personal means by whom God shows mercy to the sinner who believes on Christ as the One thus provided. In the former passage He is described as "the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world." The italicized addition in the AV, "the sins of," gives a wrong interpretation. What is indicated is that provision is made for the whole world, so that no one is, by Divine predetermination, excluded from the scope of God's mercy; the efficacy of the "propitiation," however, is made actual for those who believe. In 1Jo 4:10, the fact that God "sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins," is shown to be the great expression of God's love toward man, and the reason why Christians should love one another. In the Sept., Lev 25:9; Num 5:8; 1Ch 28:20; Psa 130:4; Eze 44:27; Amo 8:14."

Our debt was paid and we no longer have to offer the sacrifices of the Old Testament in order for God to be pleased with us. There are personal sacrifices we can make, though, as we walk down the narrow road on the way to eternity.

Questions for Reflection: What does Christ's sacrifice mean to you personally? Are you willing to spread the Good News for Him?

Verse for the Day: "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." ~ 1 John 4:10 (NIV)

Prayer: Father, thank You so very much for sending your Son to die for my sins and for the sins of the world. I cannot imagine the agony the ultimate sacrifice You made. I cannot imagine what You endured, simply because You loved us and wanted us to be reconciled to You, to spend eternity with You in Heaven. Thank You for Your willingness to die for me, Jesus. With tears in my eyes as I pray, my heart sings with joy at knowing You overcame death and that one day I will be with You forever. Thank You for Your Word and may I read it continue to read it faithfulfully, searching for the truths You have to reveal to me each time those precious pages are open. Help me be a good witness to those around me so that they won't miss out because of me. Help me make the sacrifices in my life that I should to honor You. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

S - Seek God's approval rather than the approval of man. "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." ~ Galatians 1:10 (NIV)

A - Adjust my attitude to be content with whatever God gives me. "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. " ~ Philippians 4:12-13 (NIV)

C - Consider slowing down if activities get in the way of family time and time with God. "Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife." ~ Proverbs 17:1 (NIV)

R - Renounce the desires of this world and look toward eternity. "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." ~ Romans 12:2 (NIV)

I - Immitate Christ's humility, sacrificing any pride or selfishness. "If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." ~ Philippians 2:1-3 (NIV)

F - Fall in love with God's Word all over again. "I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word." ~ Psalm 119:15-16 (NIV)

I - Increase time spent with the Lord. "How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings." ~ Psalm 36:7 (NIV)

C - Cultivate the fruits of the Spirit and spread the seeds from them. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." ~ Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV)

E - Endure persecution for Christ gladly. "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." ~ Matthew 5:11-12 (NIV)


For more Thankful Thursday posts, please click on the button above. Be sure to link up and post your own, too!

Photobucket

24 comments:

bp said...

I love that verse from I John you put with the picture. Have a wonderful day and weekend!
Bethany

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

I always enjoy your posts, especially with the word studies. thanks for this one as we take this special weekend to remember the ultimate sacrafice! Be blessed!

MrsBumppo said...

Wonderful post! I like what you did with the word Sacrifice!


Have a great week!
Gina

ambersun said...

A wonderful post.

I struggle with the whole 'pleasing men rather than God' bit.

I do spread the word a lot though so that's a plus.

God Bless and have a great Easter.

Amber

June said...

Oh!! thank you for this wonderful post, as always you have made my heart sing. I feel like I have been to church.

June

Pam said...

Laurie Ann~

This is a beautiful post and so full of information and thought. I plan to return to this during my devotions in the morning and dig deeper into what you've shared. Thank you for taking the time to put all this here for us.

Jerralea said...

I love your "Sacrifice" acrostic. Those are always so much to read.

God bless you!

Alleluiabelle said...

Laurie Ann,

What a beautiful, loving heart you have for the Lord. I just can't say that enough. Because of His will and your acceptance of it, He speaks through you to all of us today and every day. Deep within me I feel I need to come here. I learn so much from you. One can never say that they think they know it all, or thought that they did, because we are always learning something new or seeing things in a different way to help us understand His Word more fully, thus being able to apply it better to our lives and the way we are to live it. That's what you do for me here on your site.

I loved your post today. There is so much in it to chew on and digest more, especially as we are rapidly approaching the celebration of Jesus' death and resurrection.

Much love to you,
Alleluiabelle

Denise said...

Such an awe inspiring post sweetie.

Darlene said...

Great post! I was thinking earlier today about the scrafices my husband makes for our family. I don't tell him near enough how much I appreciated him. I know this doesn't compare to what my savior has done. It touches my heart.

Michele Williams said...

Another truly beautiful post! I am so thankful for His sacrifice... makes me realize how little we sacrifice for Him... god bless you my friend....

Anonymous said...

A beautiful, thorough post! Thank you!

GodsOwn/Bernice said...

Learn again a lot from your post...Like what you did with the word.

Happy and blessed Easter!
Bernice

LaVonne said...

Well I am thankful for you and this post. You have put much effort into it. I think this time of year it is important to be thankful for the sacrifice Jesus made for us. We should be willing to make sacrifices for Him. (Though it is hard at times.) I just read a post about Passover from a Jewish Blogger that was great too. I am blessed today!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, stop by again anytime!

Tammy said...

Great post - very convicting and lots of things to think about...

Rita T. said...

Wow! This is an amazing post. I love the acronym...helps us "see" the bigger picture. Happy Easter!

He & Me + 3 said...

So true...what man meant for bad, God meant for good. Beautiful!

i said...

I've always enjoyed your posts, Laurie Ann. So inspiring and I've always learned something more and new each time I visit.

Have a blessed Easter!

lupusurvivor said...

as always I love your post. thanks for visiting my TT. have a blessed easter weekend.

Marsha said...

We will never know the extent of His sacrifice. We are so small in comparison to Him.

Thanks you for this excellent exposition.

Have a blessed weekend.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Wonderful post. Your posts are always so thought provoking. I liked the thing with the word sacrifice. Have a happy Easter.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

You are so inspiring! Keep it up!!!
Loved that picture and verse!
Big hugs to you my friend.
Kim

LAURIE said...

Laurie Ann,

What a great post on sacrifice. I am thankful for His sacrifice that He gave so lovingly and willingly. Have a blessed Easter. He is risen! -Love, Laurie

LauraLee Shaw said...

Your prayer, your picture, your entire post...just lovely and fitting. So glad I read it on Good Friday, for I am so thankful for His sacrifice for my sins.

Love you, sister.
LauraLee