Tuesday, April 21, 2009

In "Other" Words Tuesdays - I Don't Have To Know It All



Nina, from Mama's Little Treasures, is hosting IOW Tuesdays today. She has given us a great quote to think about by a woman I admire greatly. I think of her as my spiritual momma.


I have learned that there are things in this world we just don't know. What I do know is that we can, no, we must trust God and be satisfied with knowing that He is loving and sovreign and holy enough to handle the mysteries of life. He will let us know what we need to know when we need to know it.
I wanted to share just one verse that speaks to me on this topic.
"Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah" ~ Psalm 62:8 (NIV)



Trust

The Hebrew word for trust is batach. This verb means:

1) to trust
a) (Qal)
1) to trust, trust in
2) to have confidence, be confident
3) to be bold
4) to be secure
b) (Hiphil)
1) to cause to trust, make secure
2) (TWOT) to feel safe, be careless

Clearly are to completely trust in and feel safe in God, despite unanswered questions. Our security comes from Him. We can boldly display this confidence through prayer, praise and living our lives without fear, even when the unknown looms.

The Hebrew word for the phrase at all times is `eth. This noun means:
1) time
a) time (of an event)
b) time (usual)
c) experiences, fortunes
d) occurrence, occasion
Through all of life's experiences and trials, we must trust in God. Each occasion, known or unknown, calls for a level of trust to be placed. I have found that I trust Him more when I know less. I trust him boat-loads when I pretty much know the outcome of certain situations, but there are times where I have to literally cling to Him and trust Him for the outcome or even the reason why something is going on in my life or in the life of someone I love.
Prayer
Praying quiets me. Knowing that I can pour out my heart to Him at all times leaves me trusting the One who knows.
The Hebrew word for pour out is the verb shaphak, which means:
1) to pour, pour out, spill
a) (Qal)
1) to pour, pour out
2) to shed (blood)
3) to pour out (anger or heart) (fig)
b) (Niphal) to be poured out, be shed
c) (Pual) to be poured out, be shed
d) (Hithpael)
1) to be poured out
2) to pour out oneself
This lets me know that I can literally bear my soul to God in prayer and in service and He will fill me up. I believe that once I am empty of preconceived ideas of what might happen (read: fear) and have spilled out all the hurt and pain and questions I have that He will quiet me with His love. Knowing that I can trust in Him satisfies me immensely.
Refuge
Hiding in God's loving arms, waiting for Him to act or comfort me, gives me a feeling of contentment most of the time. Sometimes there is a restlessness, I admit. I have to go back to trust and prayer during these times. When I'm settled, though, I feel like I'm protected and that nothing has caught Him off guard.
The Hebrew word for refuge is machaceh and means:
1) refuge, shelter
a) from rain or storm, from danger
b) of falsehood
Our Refuge is a shelter, a place where we can hide from danger (through trust) and where we can trust in Him and hope in Him.
Wrap Up
Have you given yourself permission to be okay with not knowing everything and being satisfied in trusting the One who does? If not, why not do so today? Trust Him. Pray. Hide in the refuge. He will protect you and take care of the things that need taking care of. Most of all, be okay with not knowing everything. Make the most of your God given resources, such as His Word, people who are in authority over you, your own good sense, but let yourself be content to let God be God all by Himself.
For more In "Other" Words Tuesdays, click on the button below. Be sure to link up and share you own thoughts on this quote.
Photobucket

12 comments:

Denise said...

Amen sweet sister.

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Great post! Thank you for sharing!
How wonderful is our Savior!!! I love to pray; talking to the Lord I know HE is taking care of all!
God bless you.
Bren

Debbie Petras said...

Oh wow; I think the Lord is trying to get my attention on an issue ...TRUST. In my quiet time today, that's what I wrote about in my journal.

How often life happens and we get scarred by experiences that have hurt us. I know I have and then I put a wall around myself so I won't hurt again. But you know it really doesn't work and I end up causing myself more pain. Because then I end up missing out on many blessings because of it.

Laurie Ann, I've said this before and I'll say it again ... you are an excellent Bible teacher. It is one of your gifts. You take each word and define it. This has helped me much and I thank you for that. A big hug to you.

Alleluiabelle said...

Laurie Ann,

I take rest so much today in what you have said in this entire post. As Debbie said, "you are an excellent bible teacher. It is one of your gifts. You take each word and define it. This has helped me much and I thank you for that." I am in full agreement with her. I am filled so much here, especially in this post today. I thank you big time for that too.

I love you sister,
Alleluiabelle

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

"Praying quiets me. Knowing that I can pour out my heart to Him at all times leaves me trusting the One who knows." What a beautiful thought!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

1st: I love any verse with a Selah in it!!
The "careless" and "secure" part are so appealing aren't they? Your post makes me think of a young child on summer vacation: no cares - total reliance on parents for carefree life!
And your thoughts that prayer is what carries us into this place is a lesson in itself.
What a wonderful quote today. I always appreciate the Scriptural lesson you bring to it!
Blessings to you!
~esthermay

LAURIE said...

Laurie Ann,
What a great post on learning to trust in Him. There are so many things that I do not know but what came to my mind when reading your thoughts today was "do I trust Him even when I THINK I know?" This week in our Beth Moore "Esther" Bible Study lesson, we learned about learning to know when the time is right and that my dear friend comes from being in tune with our Master who knows everything! Great Post today!-blessings, Laurie

Patricia said...

I like it when you said, "Let God be God all by Himself." I know it is easy for me to try to do God's work. I need to learn to rest more in God's plan.

Saleslady371 said...

Our human nature is so controlling and it is most definitely a refuge to lean on the Lord instead of trying to understand everything. It doesn't mean we're not responsible, it means we are yielded to our solid rock, the Lord, who has the best plan for us. This is what I'm meditating on today!

Angela said...

I have to tell you this. I pray in tongues and one of the reasons why I have so enjoyed your devotionals is because you share Hebrew...and I'm amazed because many of the words that you share, I pray these in tongues..I'm so blown away, especially today because all these words you shared, are the one's that I pray most fervently....

Also,,I have been saying repeatedly these last few days,,trust, trust, trust, I trust in You Lord.

So it just really blessed me this post, like it was confirmation to me from God

He & Me + 3 said...

It is hard sometimes not having the answers to some of our questions and not knowing why things happen...but that is where our faith is strenthened. Great post. Got me thinking.

Carolyn said...

Laurie Ann
Thanks for your words and thoughts on this quote. I so appreciate it and your helpful Hebrew definitions. . . . and the reminder to "let God be God by Himself"
Blessings to your week!