Friday, May 09, 2008

The Faith of Job


I've always heard the expression "he has the patience of Job", but have you ever heard the expression "he has the faith of Job?" Me either. I've never heard that expression, but we should hear it.

Job was an upright and blameless man before God. He was the best of the best. There was no one like him in the East. He was so good that after his sons and daughters partied, he would send and have them purified, and daily he would offer burnt sacrifices on their behalf just in case they had sinned. He would use his cattle "Just In Case".

The Bible tells us that one day Satan went before God after he had been roaming the earth and God was so proud of Job that He mentioned Him by name!

"Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no
one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and
shuns evil." - Job 1:8

We know the story. Satan just knew that Job would curse God if he lost everything and was afflicted himself. God allowed Satan to do awful things to Job because he knew that even though Job would be hurt for a season, he was strong and grounded in faith. "Blameless and upright".
Job, of course, was crushed, and his 3 friends and wife were of no help at all. His wife, who incidentally had lost her wealth and children, too, told Job just to go on and curse God and die. No doubt she was ready to just go on living and hoping things would get better if he brought it to a quick end. Job's response?

He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good
from God, and not trouble?" - Job 2:10

His 3 friends accused him of sinning and being wicked, mocking God and just being an evil man. Job knew better, but this had to be discouraging! He had lost all his sons and daugthers - 10 children - animals, his servants, and even his skin had erupted into painful sores from the soles of his feet to the tip of his head.

Here's what I call the "faith of Job". Job lost it all. His friends and wife were of no consolation and he felt abandoned by God, but what did he say?

Here it is:

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon
the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my
flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and
not another. How my heart yearns within me! Job 19:25-27

I have faith in God, strong faith, but if I were to ever endure trials like what Job went through, I pray my response would be the same. Dear Lord, may it be so. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Laurie,
I LOVE this piece about Job!
I think so often people read Job and feel it's depressing but they completely miss the point of "Job" that it's about having faith no matter what happens; That life is going to be test and there are trials and tribulations but Job in the end was blessed for his faith and as hard as it was for him, he was human and doubted and God used that for good to remind us...He will still deliver and bless us through anything.

P.S. I tagged you on my blog..come see!

Laurie Ann said...

Thanks! Job is one strong man! I love reading about him and can't wait to meet him in Heaven.

And...I'll tag you, too, if you'll show me how, LOL.