Monday, June 09, 2008

I've been thinking a lot about the things I watch on television and the books I read.

I made a decision several months ago to stop reading secular fiction. For a bookworm like me, that decision was a hard one, but a necessary one. I realized that I was devoting more time to reading secular fiction than I was to reading the Bible and literature that honors God and helps me to grow in my relationship with Him.

Now I have to tackle the shows I watch on television. While I don't watch things on HBO (we don't have it) I do watch some movies and shows that definitely don't honor God.

When I mentioned to a friend in the not so distant past that I was strongly considering giving up some of my favorite television shows and stations, she said that it seemed too over the top. She said there was no way I could totally block out all the bad things, for then I wouldn't be living in the real world.

Today I'm thinking about that more and more. Maybe I don't want to live in the real world. Maybe I want to be over the top for God.


I Peter 1:13-16 says, "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."


I know I can't be perfect, but I can prepare my mind, be self-controlled, and not conform to the world. God has called me to holiness.


Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."


Using Philippians 4:8 as a guideline, I can monitor what goes into my heart. I believe that what I see filters down into my heart, taking root and growing.

I want a clean and pure heart before God. I want to try my hardest to live a life that is pleasing to Him. If it means giving up some television shows for the sake of decluttering my mind and heart, I will do my best to do so.

Pray for me as I embark on this journey. It's a conviction God has placed on my heart. Does God call everyone to this? He didn't call my friend to do it but He has called me.

Will it be easy? I doubt it. Will I miss the mark? Probably. But I can try. Will it make a difference in my life? Definitely.


Psalm 27:9: " My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek."


2 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow! Laurie Ann what an inspiration! I applaud that you've moving beyond conviction to action.

I don't struggle too much with television, but I do find I can spend far too much time online. Part of why I'm taking part in Be Still Sunday is to motivate me to spend at least one day completely away from the influence of the internet. While most everything I read would be considered "good" (mostly Christian blogs and sites), it also becomes a crutch for learning through other's experience rather than having that close one on one time myself with the Lord. (That's when I know something is getting a little too much of my attention!)

I'll be praying for you and cheering you on!

Blessings!

Chris said...

Hi Laurie Ann,
What a great conviction to share with everyone-I think Christians would look less like the world if they spent less time enjoying the world's so-called entertainment. We are a very conservative family who gave up TV about 1 1/2 years ago-and no one misses it-not the kids,not Mom or Dad-it is sad how much junk is on there that we think we are entertained with until it is gone, and we find we NEVER think about it anymore.
Go Girl!! God will bless you immensely.
Chris