Monday, June 23, 2008

Memory Lane

Last night as I was praying, I tried to remember a Scripture I have known since childhood. It was probably the first memory verse that I ever learned. I thought about it and thought about it, and could only remember the first part of it. I had a Bible on the bookshelf beside my bed, so I turned the lamp on and turned quickly to that Scripture. Ahhhh...I couldn't believe I had forgotten it! Am I getting old, was I just sleepy, or.....had I just not kept my mind sharp with God's Word?


There are often times that I think of my favorite verses and do remember them; however, how long has it been since I've devoted time to really drilling God's Word down in my heart? I read His Word daily, yet I have to admit that I haven't worked to memorize new Scripture in a long long time.

There are many times that we don't have Bible's handy when we need to be able to recall God's Word. God is our foundation and has provided a rich store of wisdom and knowledge in His Word. We have only to be willing to draw from it.


Isaiah reminds us in Isaiah 33:6, "He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure."

It's important to not only read the Bible, but to meditate on Scriptures that we can let God use through us. God's Word speaks power into our lives, comforts others (and ourselves!) and combats the enemy when he's dragging us down.


Heart to Heart Questions: Is one of your great treasures God's Word? What was one of the first verses you remember memorizing? What's the easiest way for you to memorize Scripture?


Heartbeats: Meditate on Isaiah 33:6 and ponder the rich store of salvation, wisdom and knowledge God has made available through His Word. We have only to open our hearts and flex a little brain muscle to memorize a verse or two to store up for safekeeping.


1 comments:

Tracy said...

So very true Laurie. Something that has worked for me... I choose one verse or passage a week...then I write out the verse each day. If it's a long passage, I write it twice each day. I try to have it fully memorized by the end of the week.

I bought one of those spiral bound sets of index cards. (You can get really pretty ones for only $2-3 at Walmart.) Once a verse or passage is fully committed to memory, I record it on one of my index cards. At the end of a year, I have 52 scriptures committed to memory, small enough to fit in my purse and carry with me all the time.