Tuesday, June 17, 2008

This week, Chelsey is hosting "In 'Other' Words" on her site, Joyfully Living for His Glory. I encourage you to go there and read what others have to say about this week's quote:

Chelsey chose:


"As Christian women, we must repudiate the world's agenda for women and seek to understand the Word's agenda for women... we must determine to be obedient to the Word of God no matter what is says, with no compromises. This is what is means to be a woman of the Word. We must find out what the Bible teaches about marriage, about children, about men and women and their roles, and then we must be obedient with no apologies, no matter what the
cost. Is this radical Christianity? No. This is basic
Christianity."


What an exciting call to duty! We absolutely must hold true to God's Word for our lives. We need to search the Scriptures daily, dive into them and let them permeate every fiber of our being.


As Colossians 3:16 puts it, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." (Emphasis mine)

God's Word will give us the instruction we need as women, whether in marriage, raising children, our roles as women, etc. It will never fail us, and if we never fail it, we are guaranteed to win the battle.


What is the battle? The lines get blurred on our role as women and Christians in the world. We are told to act one way by a popular self-help guru, but we find no fulfillment in it. Whether we read the latest book because "she said to" or attend some online university that promises enlightenment, basically...we look to ourselves or others to fight through this thing called life.


We need to be looking toward Christ. He has equipped us with all we need!

His Word contains...


Life - "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

Hope - " For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Instruction - "Who, then, is the man that fears the LORD? He will instruct him in the way chosen for him." Psalm 25:12
Wisdom - "Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off." Proverbs 24:14

Truth - "Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

If you're not in the Word, I encourage you to devote some time to it every day. Whether it's a chapter in the Psalms or Proverbs or picking out the Words in red in the Gospels of the New Testament or perhaps reading Paul's letters, please, take that dive with me and develop a passion for God's Word.

When you become a woman of the Word, life gets interesting, I can promise you that!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Laurie Ann -
Great thoughts! And a great reminder to be spending time with Him! It's the only way we can know His heart for us!

Thanks for participating today in IOW!

Miriam Pauline said...

The more we understand the Word, the more fulfilling our lives will be. Thank you for your reminders today.

Peculiar said...

Laurie Ann, I came here via Cafe Chat Online, and I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed reading this timely and truthful post. We really do need to get back to what I call Biblical Basics, the stuff we need to read, believe, and make practical in our lives, with no compromise. It's the World or God's Word that we will honor--no in between. We need to ask ourselves daily, which one will it be for us. I choose Christ and the obedience of His Word, so Lord when I fall, pick me up, set me back straight, help me desire and honor Your Word. Thank you Laurie Ann again.

lori said...

What WAS, IS....
What a great post Laurie Ann.....If we would just take some time and go back to the BASICS....we'd gain so much more than what "he" or "she" says...listening to HIM...
what a concept!

Women of the Word...unite!
I've been blessed!
lori

Sheila said...

When we become a woman of the Word, life gets interesting...and much more alive !!!!

Thanks for this post! I just want to be a woman of the word !
sheila

Anonymous said...

Very well written!! Great encouragement to really dig into the Word. I think women would be amazed at the difference it will make in their day to day life.

By the way, I'm always really impressed by your Bible reading chart. You're ahead of me, I think I'm at the half way point right now. You go girl!!

Maisie said...

A great encouragement to read the Bible. For many of my Christian years, I didn't really read it much. We do need the encouragement. Your post was well written and easy to understand.

Melanie said...

Great thoughts, Lori! I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's a great reminder as you ended this post that the key is to spend time daily in His Word.

Have a great week!