Monday, November 17, 2008

Amy writes,
1. God set things up to operate effectively and efficiently and we can learn from His example.
There are many examples given on managing our homes in the Bible. Proverbs 31 and Titus 2 give us some, and many others are found in the Old and New Testaments.
I loved that Amy wrote, "A couple with no children would have different tasks from a a family of 6. This is why it is so important that you do not compare yourself to others."
While I did have a bonus daughter that I raised from age 6 to 20, she flew the nest and married a few years back. I have to work not to compare myself to others regarding what I should be doing in managing my home and let my standards be set by Christ.
"To every [thing there is] a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" Ecclesiastes 3:1 (KJV)
The word for Hebrew word for season is zĕman, which means:
1) a set time, appointed time, time
I knew I kept a schedule for a reason! I'm very detail-oriented, a planner, and part of managing my home is keeping a schedule. I don't plan for Thanksgiving during April, and I don't plan for our anniversary in May during Christmas. Neither do I spring clean in November, or put up Christmas decorations in August. I wait until the appointed time and begin my planning and managing the affairs of my home.
Amy writes,
2. Plan but don't let it rule your life. Use it as a tool.
While my planner comes in handy, it is not my driving force. God and my Bible are. I can adapt to change, admittedly sometimes not very easily, as I'm not known for being spontaneous, but there are times when things just have to be done differently than what I have planned. Just as Paul's plans were changed by God, I am open to change, too.
As Amy instructed, I read Romans 1. Here are some notes that stand out to me.
And you also are among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ. To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you. I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles. I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome. I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith." (Paul loved the Romans and had evidently been delayed by the Holy Spirit in visiting them. He was excited that God's will provided a way for him to visit them.)
If Paul had not planned to visit the Romans and been deterred by God, I wonder if his message for them would have been as powerful? I doubt it. When we are living in the center of God's will, our plans and God's are in synch. When they are not, we adapt to them and can be.....spontaneous. Oh my. Seems I have some work to do.
Amy writes,
3. A good manager delegates responsibilities accordingly.
Amy used this verse:
Here is a list of some of the members that God has placed in the body of Christ: first are apostles, second are prophets, third are teachers, then those who do miracles, those who have the gift of healing, those who can help others, those who can get others to work together, those who speak in unknown languages. 1 Corinthians 12:28
Clearly, God is a God of delegation. He knows that as members of one body, we all have different gifts. If we need to use one of the gifts He has not developed strongly within us, we need to delegate it.
I had to delegate to Steve helping Kristyn with science and math. Those were not my strongsuits. I was able to help her with all but those two. If I had tried to cling to helping her with all of it, her homework and studying would have not gone well, to say the least. I also delegated chores at home. Since I work outside the home, I couldn't do it all. Based on the talents each excelled in, I divied up the responsibilities. Kristyn was very detail-oriented, so she got the things that required extra attention. Since I ran low on time, I got the broader things, vaccuuming, mopping, dishwashing, etc. Steve, bless his heart, got the outside duties and trash detail. All of us did laundry. We were a team!
Amy writes, "Your job is manager is simply to make sure the household functions and sustains life - to the best of your ability."
Because of some chronic illnesses I have, Steve does more housework than I do. He's happy to help. If I hadn't delegated these responsiblities to him, our house would be in complete and utter chaos. I had to determine what was within my ability to do. What I cannot do, I let him do and ask for assistance, rather than just hoping the assistance will fall in my lap. More often than not, it does. Yesterday, during a flare-up of one of these illnesses, I reappeared to find a sparkly kitchen. He had even cleaned the crock-pot, which I couldn't have picked up if I had tried. I could hardly lift a 20 oz. bottle of Diet Green Tea yesterday! But he shined brightly for me. Oh, how I love my husband! My goal one day is to be able to save up and have a housekeeper come in once a week so that he won't *have* to do these things. Until then, I am encouraged that he does.
Focused Thoughts:
  1. God set things up to operate effectively and efficiently and we can learn from His example.
  2. Plan but don't let it rule your life. Use it as a tool.
  3. A good manager delegates responsibilities accordingly.
Scripture for Memory:

Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.2 Corinthians 7:1

Write It Down (or post it):

Be sure to record your revelation and thoughts in your bible, notebook, or let us all share in what you are learning and write a post about it and link it here! Share with us what God has revealed to you when were seeking Him. Again, I'll post my own thoughts and notes later in the week.
See above.

For Study Purposes:

Right now, write down the "to do" list in your head. Tonight you are to get a good night's sleep! :)
I always have a to do list written down! That's me!

Devise a plan of attack for your home. It should contain seasonal chores or tasks as well as daily tasks.

Ask God to show you ways to run your home more efficiently. Seek to solve at least one problem area this week.
Praying for accepting more easily the clean-up detail that Steve does. He is so sweet to do it for me, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that it's okay for him to do this. I know we both work outside the home and that he is accepting of the illnesses that keep me from being able to do a lot. I will ask him to tackle one area that I have been holding back on asking for help in, though. I think we'll both sleep much better if I do!

Questions to ponder: Has housework become a source of validation for you? A source of pride? If so, how do you intend to change that?
It used to be, but I have learned to do everything unto the Lord in the matter of the home. I do still struggle with the validation part.

1 comments:

Amico Dio said...

Laurie Ann,

You inspire me week after week. Thanks for taking this journey with me. God has been dealing with me about lots of issues concerning my time. I have been failing in a few ways and He is straightening me out. You obviously have a great husband and support system. I'll be praying for your health too, my friend.