Wednesday, November 19, 2008


He Restores My Soul

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was saved at the age of 17. I walked down some rocky paths in my life as a teenager and although I knew my Savior, I did not truly know Him as Lord until He began a restoration process in me. He pulled me off the beaten path and began leading me down the paths of His righteousness in my late 20's and early 30's. As I've grown closer to Him, I've tried to pull more people along this path with me. I want them to want what I have. I want them to be restored.

When David used the word restored, He spoke from experience. He had gone down some pretty rocky paths himself. I love to know David as the man after God's own heart, but David was imperfect, just like the rest of us. The difference is, he chose not to wallow in his sin and remain on the wrong path.

"He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." ~ Psalm 40:2 (NIV)

The Hebrew word for restore is shuwb, and means, in part, to return, turn back, to return unto, go back, come back of dying, of human relations, or of spiritual relations; turning back to God in repentance, turning back from evil, to restore, refresh, repair, to cause to return, bring back, to bring back, refresh, restore, to bring back to mind, to show a turning away, to reverse, revoke, to be returned, be restored, be brought back.

Just as He did with David, God is willing to restore us from any sin or wrong path we've walked down and lead us down His paths of righteousness.

The Hebrew word for righteousness is tsedeq. Some of the definitions of righteousness are justice, rightness, righteousness, what is right or just or normal, rightness, righteousness, justice (in case or cause), rightness (in speech), righteousness (as ethically right), righteousness (as vindicated), justification (in controversy), deliverance, victory, prosperity, of God as covenant-keeping in redemption, in name of Messianic king, of people enjoying salvation.

I said the wrong things, thought the wrong way, and acted in sheer rebellion as a teenager, living a life of defeat rather than victory through His Son Jesus Christ. God restored my soul from many wrongdoings.

"This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." ~ Romans 3:22-24 (NIV)

He longs for us to enjoy our salvation! The way He restores us are numerous, but my favorite way of restoration is the sacrifice He made on the Cross for me.

Rather than being lost in my sin and spend a life of doom and gloom, He helped me recognize my need, not only for a Savior who took my place in death, but as my Lord, One with whom I could have a relationship with.

What I love most is that He didn't do it for me. He did it for His Name's sake, so that He might be glorified! Oh, the humility I feel at being a vessel through which He has worked for His own glory!

Has God restored you from a life of sin? Do you feel Him leading you down the paths of righteousness, not for your sake but for His?

R - Remember that everything God does for us is for His glory and not our own. "everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." ~ Isaiah 43:7 (NIV)

E - Establish daily Bible reading habits to enhance your walk with Him. "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." ~ Psalm 119:11 (NIV)

S - Seek God in prayer daily to remain on His path of righteousness. "For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." 1 Peter 3:12 (NIV)

T - Take time to develop the fruit of the Spirit. They will keep you in Christ. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." ~ Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV)

O - Order your steps according to His Word so you will not go back down the wrong path. "Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me." ~ Psalm 119:133 (NIV)

R - Remain in Christ once you are restored. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." ~ John 15:5 (NIV)

E - Endeavor to grow in maturity with Christ. "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." ~ 1 Corinthians 13:11 (NIV)
D - Devote time to encouraging others to pursue restoration with Christ. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" ~ 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

To view my other posts on Psalm 23, please visit my first post here and my second post here.

The purpose of WFW is to share the Word of God through photo's and a verse. Amydeanne, over at The 160 Acre Woods, is our hostess. Be sure to link up and share your own. This is a wonderful way to minister to others and to be ministered to by reading others posts. Please visit by clicking on the button below.






30 comments:

Denise said...

You bless me continously my friend, love you bunches.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I can so relate to your testimony. I too rebelled as a teenager but came back in mid twenties to claim my place as God's princess! I love your heart Laurie Ann. I'm so glad to call you my friend.
Hugs to you!
Kim
Isn't it cool to think that one day we will all meet in heaven and know just who we all are? I love that!

He & Me + 3 said...

I love that picture and verse, & I love how you use acrostics. Great job. I can never think of anything for them. My dad preaches with them alot so it is easier for people to remember his sermon. It is too!

Melanie said...

Oh, how thankful I am this morning that God does restore us and make us new!

Happy WFW, Laurie Ann!

Jen said...

I can relate to this 100%. I grew up in a Christian home and knew what to say and how to act. So I was saved right?! Nope. I never took that step of faith for a personal relationship with Christ. What a great post. Thank you for sharing.

Susan said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

Wow, you are so talented. I just loved your acrostics!! How neat.

Thanks for sharing your testimony of HOPE with us.

Yes, He truly retores, and I am so greatful for my great salvation!!

Blessings this WFW♥

Deanna said...

What an amazing WFW! I love your picture. Most people choose open fields with that Scripture, but I love how you chose a path with a fence. I have a "thing" for fences. They make me feel safe and secure. I think it is the "sheep" in me longing for my Shepherd.

Gwendolyn said...

I'm so glad that I read this today. What a blessing!

Special K said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing your heart! :)

LauraLee Shaw said...

I have been lifted out of the pit so many times. Soooo many times. So thankful He is able to bleach out my mud stains.

Thank you, Laurie Ann. Your posts always minister to me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Ann,
What a beautiful peaceful photo to go with this great verse. Praying for you and your husband right now about the wolf at your door :0)

Anonymous said...

That photo is beautful! Was it taken around here?

Perfect verse to go with it! Much love to you!

Jenifer said...

Praising the Lord for restoration and second chances. This is beautiful.

Happy WFW! Blessings!

Jennifer said...

Beautifully written! Your post bless me tremendously as you share your heart.

Joyfull said...

How beautiful, the picture and your reminder of God's restoring. Loved it.

Tammy said...

AMEN!! Thank you Lord that you have taken us from the pit and placed our feet upon the Rock. Thank you Jesus!

a Knitting Junkie! said...

Wonderful, wonderful post!
At 33 I sometimes still find myself acting in sheer rebellion.

Prayers for you as you continue to remind us of, and work towards helping others come to, God's restoring.

Hugs...Anita

Peggy said...

Blessings Laurie Ann...Thank you ...I feel so RESTORED!!! And i did not even know I had wandered off any path or away from His righteousness! I am refreshed once more in your Psalm 23 continuation of illustration, teaching & filling me up with His Word & more of Him!
8 letters, 8 verses, 8 steps to living a RESTORED LIFE! I am restored! I am so blessed! Thank you for ministering His restoration & Love! Bless & enjoy WFW & thanks for the visit!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

What a great WFW. Blessings to you and thank you for sharing.

Joan said...

New every morning! Thank you for sharing your heart and your thoughts.

Blessings

Anonymous said...

I am so glad HE restores.

Thank you for your thoughts today. They are always such a blessing.

Alexis said...

What a great testimony, and a wonderful reminder to stay the course!

Anonymous said...

How fun that we both thought of Psalm 23 this week. Happy WFW!

MJ said...

You have such a talent - your posts are always so articulate, meaningful and very beautiful. I love coming here to read. Thank you for sharing your blessing with others.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Laurie Ann,

You have such a way with words. Thanks for sharing!

Hope your day is getting better.

I have a new blog ~ well I have 2 now. I'm putting together a cooking like one. I see you have a "blog shop"...Gonna check it out.

http://aspoonandawhisk.blogspot.com/

Sunny Shell said...

Oh sister, this was just wonderful! I love how your words seem to be "dancing" about as the Scripture states that the Lord restores our souls!

I also loved when you said:

"What I love most is that He didn't do it for me. He did it for His Name's sake, so that He might be glorified! Oh, the humility I feel at being a vessel through which He has worked for His own glory!"

Oh, amen and amen and amen! See, this is what keeps making me think we're twins! :-)

I love you so much!
Sunny

Leaon Mary said...

Hey Laurie Ann,
This is really similar to the bible study I've been doing;
Blessings and happy wfw!
Lea

Anonymous said...

Amen!

It is indeed by God's grace that I am blessed to be here and to read what you continually share every week...inspiring words!

Happy WFW!

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

I was so bummed that it took me so long to get here today...and then I read the post...

How beautiful...restoration is just so beautiful!

Thank you, sweet sister for reminding us again that Jesus does that for His Name's sake...truly beautiful.

Blessings to you!

HennHouse said...

This is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing this WFW and your thoughts that go with it!