Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Word-Filled Wednesday - Psalm 23:1



Put me in a rocking chair and I want for nothing. I either have the companionship of a friend, a grandson or nephew, a good book, or some time alone, just praying with God. I am perfectly fulfilled when I'm rocking.
The Psalmist, David, knew a thing or two about fulfillment. Let's look at Psalm 23:1 in depth.
When David referred to the Lord, he called Him YÄ•hovah, or Jehovah, which is the Hebrew word for "the proper name of the one true God". Oh, what a beautiful name!
He called the Lord "my shepherd", too. The Hebrew word for shepherd is ra`ah. One of my favorite meanings is that they associate with and are friends or companions or special friends of others. They tend their pasture, they teach and rule, (whether a flock of animals or people), and are charged to feed the herds cows, sheep. They guard the flocks with their lives. As a shepherd himself growing up, tending sheep in his father Jesse's pasture, David knew the intricacies involved in caring for the flock.

Eason's Bible Dictionary explains, "The duties of a shepherd in an unenclosed country like Palestine were very onerous. "In early morning he led forth the flock from the fold, marching at its head to the spot where they were to be pastured. Here he watched them all day, taking care that none of the sheep strayed, and if any for a time eluded his watch and wandered away from the rest, seeking diligently till he found and brought it back. In those lands sheep require to be supplied regularly with water, and the shepherd for this purpose has to guide them either to some running stream or to wells dug in the wilderness and furnished with troughs. At night he brought the flock home to the fold, counting them as they passed under the rod at the door to assure himself that none were missing. Nor did his labours always end with sunset. Often he had to guard the fold through the dark hours from the attack of wild beasts, or the wily attempts of the prowling thief (see 1Sa 17:34).", Deane's David."

The italics are mine. These are some pretty endearing qualities of God our Shepherd. He literally watches over us all the time! He takes care of all of our needs, physical and emotional, and ensures we are are not in danger or in want. Shepherds are always overseers.

I love how David connected LORD and Shepherd. He recognized Him as the ultimate God, the one true God, the God who created him, yet also recognized Him in relationship with Him as not only the the ultimate authority figure and caretaker, but also as a friend and companion.

Shepherds are called to live sacrificially, just as our Great Shepherd did and does today for us, the sheep of His pasture.

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." ~ John 10:11 (NIV)

Just as David knew he would not be in want with God as his Shepherd, we can be assured that the same holds true for us today.

The Hebrew word for want is chacer.

1) to lack, be without, decrease, be lacking, have a need
a) (Qal)
1) to lack
2) to be lacking
3) to diminish, decrease
b) (Piel) to cause to lack
c) (Hiphil) to cause to be lacking

With God, we can be assured that we will lack nothing, but the key is in realizing that we will lack nothing we need. In this day and age, anything we want (vs. need) is pretty much available, there for us to run out and purchase at our leisure, but what about the things only God can give us?

The gift of grace, the laughter of a child, the healing of a disease deemed incurable by man, security and faith, hope in an unstable world, wisdom found in the depths of His Word...I could go on and on.

How in the world does He meet all our needs? Through Jesus Christ, His Son.

"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." ~ Philippians 4:19 (NIV)

We don't have to worry about anything. God has us covered.

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom." ~ Luke 12:32 (NIV)

I can say with David, "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want." I am confident in God's ability to provide for all my needs. In Him, I want for nothing.

To participate in or view more Word-Filled Wednesday's, click the button below and visit our hostess, Amydeanne. Be sure to thank her for hosting this most excellent meme!



23 comments:

Denise said...

I love this.

Peggy said...

Blessings Laurie Ann, Such a beautiful photo with such a view of serenity & tranquility as Psalm 23 comes to life. Your teaching on the
1st verse is aMazing! My Shepherd indeed cares for me and you! He provides for us & meets our needs.
Why should we want? Let's rock away!

Addicted to Beadz said...

Laurie Ann,

Beautiful post. With Him, there is nothing we should want.

Happy WFW

Cheryl

Mariposa said...

What a beautiful post! So lovely...

Love the verses...

Hugs and Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

Great post!! I always love studying David. Something I find interesting is the word "shepherd" and "pastor" are the same in the Spanish language. That has always painted a picture for me.

I just want to thank you so much for all of your faithful comments on my blog. You have no idea how much seeing those means to me!! It has been a rough few months with everyone in my house (including me!) being in the hospital for some reason or another. I have tried to maintain the discipline of writing my blog but have had little time to visit the blogs of others. The few that have stuck with me during this time have really meant a lot. Thanks so much!!

Susan said...

Good Morning sweet Laurie Ann,

Oh, it's so good to be back to visit you.

Great picture and such a great little devotional to go with it.

I really need to hear this timely word as I begin my day today.

Thanks so much for your prayers last week. You are so kind and so caring.

Hope you have a blessed day today!!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Oh that picture looks so inviting. If we can all make it to the same mountain someday that would be fun huh? LOL. Wonderfully inspiring post my friend.
Blessings.

Mrs.B said...

What wonderful thoughts this morning.

Thanks for your sweet blog

~In HIS Keeping
Mrs. B~

Melanie said...

I love this post, Laurie Ann! God is such a comfort to us when we allow Him to be... so wonderful that all we have to do is ask and we know He will be there!

Happy WFW!

Tracy said...

Amen Laurie Ann! Sweet and precious thoughts for today. So grateful that He is indeed our Shepherd.

Blessings,
Tracy

Rebecca said...

This was a beautiful post and a wonderful thought to start my day.

Carrie said...

Inspiring and informative post.

Mokihana said...

I can picture myself sitting there with you, knitting something warm for people I love, just looking out over the view. It's so peaceful looking.

Thank you for the reminder of how God cares for his sheep.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

As a girl, I remember my mother in her rocking chair with Philip Keller's book, "A Shepherd's Look at the 23rd Psalm." And I grew always correlating things in my life to this beautiful passage.

40 years later: We named our little boy Shepard. And in our home, we discuss the implications of the SHEPHERD almost daily too. This is a lovely post that I will print (as soon as I add ink to printer!) :-)

... It's freezing outside today in Minnesota. Had to scrape the frost/ice! So that picture -- takes me away!
(Oh, wait that's bubble bath I'm thinking of....) Either way: Great pic.

Happy WFW!

Mindy said...

Beautiful post! It is so easy in this day and age to confuse our needs with our wants and this is where the seeds of discontent begin. I love how you referred to thing only God can give us. It is in the need for those things that we find Him waiting to bless us abundantly.

lori said...

I NEED a rocking chair! I haven't been over here all week...missed The Well and FINALLY here I am...I love that verse and pic...what a great way to sit and just think..."I shall not want...."

I'm NOT in a rocker but I'm swaying back and forth...HA! does that count??
:)
peace,
lori

Tammy said...

What wonderful peace in realizing the Lord is our Shepherd & resting in His care and protection.

Blessings,
Tammy @ http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/mominmi

Debra Kaye said...

Laurie Ann,

Just beautiful .. I love my Shepherd!

((hugs)) to you, my friend!

Leaon Mary said...

Hey Laurie Ann,

How soothing... to set and rock with my SHEPHERD! THE GREAT SHEPHERD!

In the crazy world we live, it's so easy to want want want... but He's all we really need.

Lea

Amydeanne said...

beautiful post Laurie! and one of my favorite verse. You've shed a new light on it for me today!

Anonymous said...

lovely. I always enjoy and learn from your post...thank you so much for the time you put into this...it is such a blessings.

Happy WFW.

Special K said...

I absolutely love this!

Great shot!

:) Happy WFW!

K

http://hisspecialk.blogspot.com/

Pam D said...

Beautiful post on a wonderful, comforting verse! And the pic brings many good memories... whether that chair overlooks a mountainside, a mighty ocean, or my own little creek, HE is there, and I am content. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.. and I truly enjoyed your post.